iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Identifying Black Oak (Quercus velutina)

Started by WDH, April 15, 2007, 10:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

That is good old Black Oak, Lanier_lurker.  Like you suspected.  Almost a dead ringer for the shade leaves that I posted :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lanier_Lurker

I wish I could have posted some better pictures, but the image size restrictions here make it difficult when using a 5 megapixel camera.  I usually have to go through several iterations of cropping and shrinking to get them to fit.

(they should consider increasing the size limits - I'm an IT professional and I know how cheap disk storage and ISP traffic bandwidth have become)

Anyway, I guess the pictures was good enuf for you to make the call.

Whilst driving by this tree I was not even certain it was an oak.  I did not realize it was an oak until I got up close to it on foot.

Although you cannot tell it from the photos, it is a pretty DanG big tree (which is why I kept noticing it).  I shoulda took my tape and measured the circumference when I walked up there.  I would guess the dbh to be at least 30 inches.  I may go back and do it just so I will know.

When you get around to a post about identifying willow oak, I've got some nice pictures of the specimen next to the family tomb at Magnolia Plantation in Charleston ( I was there a couple of weeks ago).  I never knew they could get that big.  That sucker is between 6' and 7' dbh.

Furby

LL, if you are an IT pro, then you should be able to easily use compression software like the rest of us and not need to go through all the iterations.

The size limit is more for those of us that are stuck on dial up with no other internet options.
We like to see pics too. :)
My camera is a 5 meg and I have no problems. ;)

WDH

Lanier_lurker,

We will do willow oak soon.  If you have pics to contribute, that will be wonderful ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

flip

I cut some black oak for a guy about two weeks ago and 80% was good.  Cut a log for a different guy last night and it was scrappola black oak also.  It stunk like pin oak and was brown on the inside, not like other red red oak I've sawn.  I hate sawing crap wood. :( 
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Jeff

Quote from: Furby on April 22, 2007, 11:11:09 PM
LL, if you are an IT pro, then you should be able to easily use compression software like the rest of us and not need to go through all the iterations.

The size limit is more for those of us that are stuck on dial up with no other internet options.
We like to see pics too. :)
My camera is a 5 meg and I have no problems. ;)

No kidding.  I use an 8 megapixle camera. Resize once to 450 pixles. Compress once to less then 35k. upload and post.  Thank god I ain't a professional or I'd never get nuthing done around here eh? :D

The reasons for the file size is not to inconvenience the individual but to benefit the forum as a whole. I've iterated and reiterated many times over and over repetitively and redundantly ;D the reason for the file sizes.  ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

OneWithWood

So the size limit has increased to 450pixels and 35K?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

tcsmpsi

Quote from: OneWithWood on April 25, 2007, 02:36:21 PM

Yeah, me too  ???

Oh, and to further implicate my dummyness, what is an IT Professional?
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Jeff

Quote from: OneWithWood on April 25, 2007, 02:36:21 PM

;D   I don't advertise everything.  Has been for going on two years.  :)

Jeff

oops, sorry tcsmpsi, didnt mean to ignor ya.

information technology

or in my case

Infantile Turret's  :)

Larry

Just to get us back on topic...a typical Arkansas blackoak....maybe close to 4' DBH.

Love the stump water as we can use it to make very, very, special potions.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Furby

To be fair.........
I have had a couple pics that were so "busy" that I had a hard time compressing them without a ton of loss.
That can be worked around with a little effort and steps taken in the future to prevent it if I know it will be something that I post. But the amount of pics that actually have a problem is so small, it's hard to worry about it. :)

WDH

Larry,

If that is typical, I can see why there is no excitement over black oak.

Don K

Danny, If we ever get to meet, I have several trees I hope you can help me identify. Most tree Id books are vague. I hope to learn the species of white and red oaks. I guess I need to bone up and become my own self taught student.  Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

WDH

Don, as a fellow LT 15 owner, we have to meet 8).  I will be over that way pretty soon, as we (my company) owns many acres in your area.  Looking you up to see what you have accomplished with your place is an absolute certainty.  If we can't figure out those species, all the experts on the Forum will just have to help us... ;).  Hopefully, we can find something better to eat than black oak bark ???.  I hear it is not too good fried or broiled............

Don K

Yea, I would think a little rough on the gums. :D I can think of a bunch of more places with good vittles.

If I could get all the plans out of my head and into the place I would be way ahead. ::) It is a shame a man has to work a real job.

Let me know in advance when you might get over this way if you can. I hope I will be off, shift work you know. Stew is coming over sometime early June for the day.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

tcsmpsi

Quote from: Jeff B on April 25, 2007, 07:48:15 PM
oops, sorry tcsmpsi, didnt mean to ignor ya.

information technology

or in my case

Infantile Turret's  :)

That's alright, Jeff.  I have teenagers yet in the house.  I'm used to being ignored.   :D

Thank you for the enlightenment.   ;)

Quote from: WDH on April 26, 2007, 12:49:53 AM
Don, as a fellow LT 15 owner, we have to meet 8).  I will be over that way pretty soon, as we (my company) owns many acres in your area.  Looking you up to see what you have accomplished with your place is an absolute certainty.  If we can't figure out those species, all the experts on the Forum will just have to help us... ;).  Hopefully, we can find something better to eat than black oak bark ???.  I hear it is not too good fried or broiled............

With the black oak, I'd rather eat the bark than the leaves, Danny.   :D
When you come again, if you're hungry, I'll make it a most determined effort to find you something more palatable.   ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Ron Wenrich

Red oak and black oak logs lying side by side.  Can you tell the difference?

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

WDH

SwampDonkey

One has a little less bark than the other.  ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Hint:  Remember the tip that both Ron and Phorester have shared with us on black oak bark.  (Relax, there will not be a test :D).

Thank You Sponsors!