iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crosscutting short fatties

Started by climber2, February 15, 2018, 03:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

climber2

One of my furniture guys asked me yesterday if I could crosscut short, large diameter pieces. Typically this means things like stump cutoffs and the like.

My response was that I was unsure so.... Here I am in FF again for some insight.

Things that come to mind are safety, clamping and type of blades to use. Using a chainsaw works but that nice straight cut is tough and requires a bunch of sanding and finish work. I know the finish work would still be there but the cut, in theory, should be level.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome
Timber Harvester 36htd25, 06 Ram 2500 5.9, 95 Chev 3500hd, 445ct Bobcat w/ Wallenstein winch, Bandit 200+, Morbark M12r, Countless chainsaws...

Crossroads

I've set them on a 2x6 that spans the 2 center bunks, then stand a 2x4 up against the side supports and clamp it in. I've only used 4* blades, but they seem to work fine. I cut relatively slow too. Good luck and keep a hand on the clutch
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

WV Sawmiller

I'm understanding these are just cookies. How big are you sawing? I can cut about 23" diameter on my mill but most of you can cut 4-5 inches wider and even more for the wide models.

I just stand the log upright on the lip of my movable hydraulic clamp and tighten against the other side. I cut one at a time but all the time is used setting the log in place and clamping it. Cutting goes real fast once clamped tight.

I have tried making jigs and cutting multiple logs at the same time and all I did was have one or more pull free and tear up blades, mess up wood and lose my temper. One at a time works fine. With a helper to hold the log till it is clamped should not even take long to set up. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

kelLOGg

I have cut cookies from stumps in a variety of ways depending on how long the stump is. For long ones I have set the stump on the ground, clamped it to (or between) the mill legs. Shorter ones I have set it on a board on the mill, braced it with a 45° 1 x 1 screwed to the board and stump and sawed until I get to the brace which I then readjust. Both ways utilize the log clamps, too. You can probably find better ways for your mill.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

climber2

Thanks for the ideas guys. This opens some doors for new ways to reclaim more tree parts.

If I get this picture thing figured out on my phone to this forum I'll be sure to share down the road...
Timber Harvester 36htd25, 06 Ram 2500 5.9, 95 Chev 3500hd, 445ct Bobcat w/ Wallenstein winch, Bandit 200+, Morbark M12r, Countless chainsaws...

Southside

The picture thing is a lot simpler now.  Just click the blue highlighted banner below where you type to add photos.   You have to then select a folder to put the photo in, it will then let you upload the photo and now it brings you to a screen where there is a neat little button that says "Insert this photo to my post" or something along that line - click it and you are done. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

tylerltr450

This is how I cut fatties

I used to cut like this but dont do the below, because it can end badly.

VID 20170225 180306640 - YouTube
VID 20170225 180217100 - YouTube
Timber Harvester 36HTD25 fully loaded
2006 Dodge 2500 first Auto to NV5600 swap, EFI Live Tune by me
John Deere Tractor
Massey Ferguson 711B SkidSteer

Jeff

Quote from: climber2 on February 15, 2018, 08:25:40 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys. This opens some doors for new ways to reclaim more tree parts.

If I get this picture thing figured out on my phone to this forum I'll be sure to share down the road...

I created a new video tutorial. I think you will find it pretty easy.
Updated Photo Posting Tutorial in Technical Support Topics
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!