iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hickory stickers?

Started by btulloh, April 01, 2016, 03:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

I've got a few hickory logs laying around and I don't really have use for hickory lumber. Any thoughts on using it for stickers?  I don't even like the idea of sawing hickory but I'm having a hard time getting enough stickers cut.
HM126

WDH

Respectively, it is one of the last species that I would choose for stickers  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Me either.  Termites need to eat too.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Cut into blocking, 4x4  6x6  And you can stick your lumber on them.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

btulloh

Good information. Thanks. I squared one of the hickory logs a few minutes ago and don't care for sawing hickory. I never liked felling them and cleaning up the laps. Don't really like them for firewood. Other than that hickory is wonderful.

I'll make this cant into blocking and turn the rest the logs into firewood or termite food.
HM126

1ruralmailman

i would not want to use it for stickers.a one inch sticker i would think would be about as stable as a wet noodle.it usually has enough tension when sawed you have to plan on losses due to movement.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Good for smoking meat and BBQ houses may buy it.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

killamplanes

The worst twist I ever got out of a board was a good looking shagbark hickory as my mill was at the end of an 8 footer I bet the side I started cutting on was nearly a foot high of the log I was ashamed to put it in the pallet stock pile, I wonder what that pallet looks like if they were even able to get it nail down...
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

btulloh

I'm glad i asked before i sawed that hard stuff into stickers. This forum keeps me out of trouble. I need blocking as bad as stickers so I'll make blocking and be glad i saved a couple bands from needing to be sharpened.
HM126

Brad_bb

What's wrong with hickory?  I have hickory timbers, flooring....
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

killamplanes

My kitchen is hickory but with my small bandmill mine does'nt like it I'm under powered so I do better with softer woods. I cut it in the timber but my grade mills never really pay up for it I'm usual at that.40-60 cent range so I'll usually make into ties. But Its one of my least favorites but that's just me.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

YoungStump

I saw some Hickory for grade, I just sent out this load yesterday, hickory makes some very nice lumber but it can be a pain to saw. It seems the logs with a high percentage of sapwood are the worst to cut, overall I don't mind it too much.

Your right about grade mills not paying very good for hickory, we recently got a bunch of very nice hickory in by the ton with our scrag blocking logs. They actually came out of another grade mills yard. I guess they just don't wanna mess with sawing it.
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

killamplanes

My kitchen in this new house notty hickory my wife picked it out I paid for it when they were done I told them I would be ashamed to through that quality of wood in my pallet stock pile.  But I the dummy kitchen over 20k.

WDH

Every time that I cut hickory I swear that I will never cut it again  :).  Small hickory logs with a lot of growth stress will test your faith. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dean herring

Just cut some hickory mantles. It wasn't hard to cut and it made some fine looking ones. Tree was 29" on the butt end. Cut one 6" thick 72" long and 16" wide, had to move it with the tractor. Gonna donate it to a youth fundraiser. Then I will cut down if needed. Cut two more smaller ones.Even small ones are really heavy. Got a 33" hickory to cut can't wait to try it. Gonna make a bar top as wide as possible hopefully a  30" which is real close to my max width.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

btulloh

This has turned into a hickory thread.  Some people love it.  Some people hate it.  Some people tolerate it.  I'll be glad to UPS my hickory logs to someone for the price of shipping.  I'm glad I asked before I tried to use it for stickers.  My logs were cut about 6 months ago which doesn't make it saw real well with 9.5hp.  I'm looking forward to sawing some framing lumber from some nice pine logs somebody brought me.  I'll stack it on these nice new hickory bunks I made.
HM126

Bill Ragosta

I just found this old topic and had to respond.  Never having done any milling myself (I'm in the research and funding stage now), I can't really speak to how it behaves when sawn, but I'm another guy that loves Hickory.  I have Hickory cabinets and wainscoting in our bathroom and I love Hickory flooring.  If and when I get myself a mill, Hickory was definitely going to be on my list to saw and store for home projects.  I happen to have a few pretty nice logs here on the property and it doesn't hurt that I'll get them for free.

GAB

Quote from: Bill Ragosta on September 08, 2016, 04:04:26 PM
I just found this old topic and had to respond.  Never having done any milling myself (I'm in the research and funding stage now), I can't really speak to how it behaves when sawn, but I'm another guy that loves Hickory.  I have Hickory cabinets and wainscoting in our bathroom and I love Hickory flooring.  If and when I get myself a mill, Hickory was definitely going to be on my list to saw and store for home projects.  I happen to have a few pretty nice logs here on the property and it doesn't hurt that I'll get them for free.

You wrote "If and when I get myself a mill" from my very limited experience sawing shag bark and bitternut hickory my suggestion to you is you had better get a mill with some serious horsepower and lots of blades.  One with a lot more experience than I stated that hickory seems to grab the dust from the air and retain it in the bark.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WDH

If you are a furniture maker, hickory will dull your blades and make your tools cry. 

killamplanes

funny this topic came back. I spent 4 hours today sawing shagbark hickory. and no I don't like sawing it anymore now then when this topic was first posted. And the trees were felled by me just last week. they were already checking pretty bad at ends.  But I only saw on my mill what I cant get larger mills to pay up for. So short story long, my mill specializes in logs not worthy of a scragg mill :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!