iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

yooper dialect

Started by luap, January 28, 2020, 11:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luap

Some roots of why yoopers talk the way they do and , disclaimer: this includes me.

https://youtu.be/x4n89af09Tw

chet

Never taught I talked funny, turns out I got one of dem dare dialects.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

doc henderson

sadly, i was able to understand every ting you said. :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Pine Ridge

I'm only skooled in the Hillbilly langwidge.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Resonator

For further research you need to listen closely to "Rusty Chevrolet" and "Second Week of Deer Camp".
("Da Yoopers" band, recorded 1987). ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

pigman

No way would this hillbilly say that a yooper talks funny.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Dan_Shade

We drink, play cards and shoot the bull, but never shoot no deer...  

I love that song 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Actually, da terdy point buck is not a da yoopers song. That was a Bananas at large song.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

I think it's facinating to listen to dialects.  Dialects and heritage go hand in hand.  It's interesting to try to figure out where people are from based on dialect.  In North and South Carolina there are many dialects and the way folks talk tells me where they are from.  

Was on a plane on the way to Seattle from Atlanta and overheard a lady speaking with her traveling companion.  I asked her if she was from Robersonville, NC.  She was shocked and said she was in fact from there.

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

barbender

Sawyer Ted, I agree 100%. I think dialects are fascinating! One thing I find interesting about a lot of areas of Europe (at least so I've read) have really heavy regional dialects, but most people also speak a more generic form that everyone understands. It would be akin to everyone at the Pig Roast talking like the man on the evening news (Don Williams) instead of a yooper and a WV hillbilly trying to understand each others dialects😁 One of my friends moved to Georgia and he has as heavy of a Minnesota accent as anyone. He was working with two other fellas, they would ride to work together. One guy was a rural black fella, and the other guy was Mexican. They had a very hard time communicating!😂 Most southerners couldn't understand my buddy, and it went both ways. One of my favorites was when he was listening to a sermon, and the preacher kept talking about "hoodaws". He was asking people after the sermon what a hoodaw was...hoot owl😁
Too many irons in the fire

Jeff

I've been accused of having a Michigan accent.  I do not know what that is. 

The accent I grew up with was my mom's,  as she was from west Virginia until her early teens, but much of her family remained there. Her accent was very noticable when she was on the phone with "someone from down home" as mom would say.

chet

On one of da motorcycle trips with my sons, we stopped for the night at a tiny bar/laundromat/motel just outside Snowshoe, WV. I told da gal behind da bar,"three Bud lites please". 'Hey' she exclaimed ' Youse guys R Yoopers'.  :D  Turns out her dad had been a transplanted Yooper.

moodnacreek

When I was 10 we moved from s. n.y. to El Paso Texas. At a restaurant my mother told the [Tex-Mex] waitress she would increase the tip if the lady could tell where we where from, the waitress won. After 6 years we moved back home and I couldn't understand anybody.

sawguy21

I once had a woman in California, she was fun to listen to, tell me I had to be Canadian. I asked her what was the first clue. :D I worked with a group of Newfoundlanders who were an interesting bunch. We got together at an air show with their wives and girlfriends, I couldn't understand a word they said.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Pine Ridge

I reckon i'm a full fledged Hillbilly, i've been accused of it too many times, aint no way all them accusers can all be wrong.

doc henderson

I do not have an accent or dialect, I am from Ks and we are the average neutral effect of the rest of the country! :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

As soon as I first met you I knew you were from Kansas!

doc henderson

cause I did not have an accent or a dialect, and you have access to my profile!!! :D

moodnacreek

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 29, 2020, 08:16:59 PM
I once had a woman in California, she was fun to listen to, tell me I had to be Canadian. I asked her what was the first clue. :D I worked with a group of Newfoundlanders who were an interesting bunch. We got together at an air show with their wives and girlfriends, I couldn't understand a word they said.
Used to go fishing in New Brunswick. Oh the New-fe jokes went on forever.

moodnacreek

Quote from: Pine Ridge on January 29, 2020, 08:20:17 PM
I reckon i'm a full fledged Hillbilly, i've been accused of it too many times, aint no way all them accusers can all be wrong.
In correct English you are a hill Williams.

doc henderson

incline William?  uphill bill!

Pine Ridge

I've got one leg longer than the other one from growing up on a hillside.

moodnacreek

Quote from: Pine Ridge on January 29, 2020, 11:16:02 PM
The cows have 2.

Pine Ridge

I keep waiting to see some of my relation on the tv show " moonshiners " .

Jeff

Quote from: Pine Ridge on January 29, 2020, 11:16:02 PM
Ridge Runner

Pine Ridge

Sloughfoot or slewfoot, ain't shore how it's spelled.

Jeff

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

Corley5

moodnacreek

Does Mike Schneider [the grand old opry regular] know about you guys? He has a band member do a Minnesota accent.

Thank You Sponsors!