iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building an Edger/Resaw

Started by CKWoodCutter, October 11, 2018, 04:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CKWoodCutter

I'm having the wild idea to try and build a sort of edger/resaw. I was thinking about putting multiple blades on it and having them be adjustable so I could cut different size boards. 

I want to make sure I'll have plenty of hp because I've read the more blades and thicker the cut, the more hp you'll need. So I thought, can I use an old car engine for a power source. I didn't know if anyone had any experience with setting up the engine to drive my pulley.

The other thing I'm slightly held up on is how I can design it to adjust the blades individually to cut different widths.

Thanks in advance!

moodnacreek

Sounds like you want a gang edger.  This would be a double bay, heavy mandrel to support board edger blades on one side and a gang bank on the other. Although it would need lots of power, that is the only simple part.  I suggest that you go to whatever means necessary to find and inspect one of these machines.

CKWoodCutter

Thanks for the lead. Definitely think I have something in mind that is a little bit outside the box but I figured if anyone would know anything, it would be here!

jimparamedic

Ive been thinking along the lines of logosol frame saw. Which is basically a small sash mill so power need would be less

JB Griffin

Like moodnacreek said your lookin for a double bay gang saw.

Rule of thumb is 5hp per inch of wood sawn per saw. So if your using 4 saws cuttin 4" stock at 100+- fpm you need about 80hp, 80 electric hp or 120dieselhp.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Thank You Sponsors!