iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

timberjack or franklin?

Started by semologger, March 04, 2007, 07:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

semologger

i need some advice i have been wanting to update my skidder for awhile. i have a 450a timberjack grapple. i am looking at a mid 90s 170 franklin. my jack has a 453 detroit in it and a smaller grapple. the franklin has a cummins and a 102 inch grapple. the franklin has more power and a bigger grapple. i just dont know much about franklins. i know my skidder is in fair condition it does need some work done to it . but it runs every day pulling close to 70 tons a day. the franklin i am looking at they are asking around 14,000 for it. i think i should be able to get at least 10,000 out of mine. i have been looking on ebay and i think mine is as good as some of them. i have never put anything on ebay. should i try putting mine on there.

any help would be apprecianted or should i put it here on the forestry forum. i dont know how skidders sell here still new thankyou   

J_T

Don't know anything about the newer or larger TJ's Would think they would bring about the same Tj's seem to be higher for some reason  ??? Got a 170 Franklin sitting out back an't got a place on it that an't dented  ::) It has a cummins with tubo an is power shift . Have ran it some myself it seems bullet proof just watch your step getting out it is a ways to the ground ;D I like the front end disconect for turnning .This one has grapple and winch. The winch has not been used much at all these guys would run over anything to keep from getting out of the seat
Jim Holloway

semologger

thanks for the reply. ive ran skidders for about 10 years. my own and for other loggers. my list

525 and 508 cat,

540d a 648G2 a 740 john deere.

460, a 450 timberjack

tigercat

and my first skidder a c5c treefarmer that took a football field to turn around.

frankilns have a different fram work that i am used to i am used to the front tires going up and down not the swivel that franklins have how does this effect the way they ride.

if anyone has one for sale or know of one please let me know thanks

J_T

This one here had 36 in wide tires on it .Maybe i'm just gitting old but I never saw a skidder I though rode good.I think that part is more up to the person running it . I take it easy on mine I have to fix it my self . Have got a restored T J 225. I go for what the big guys don't want . Got a buddy it cost's him a ton just to move jobs . Also got an old Bell sitting out back it don't ride good either .Jim the old coddger :D :D
Jim Holloway

Ever Green

I'd like to buy that 450 from you...got any more details?
Vince

semologger

i agree they dont make any logging equipment a good ride.

i know what you mean about your bell i have a 221 hyroax its a 3 wheeler also. seems like you are on two wheels more than three. three wheel  cutters are fast movers i like it when it pulls you to the side when you turn around fast. it reminds me of when i was a kid riding carnival rides. my loader is a 210 prentice its the same way.

we have our own truck and lowboy so moving  around is not a prob. plus we hardly ever move over 60 miles we just dodge the D.O.T so we dont ever have to mess with permits

Evergreen its around 800 miles from me to you thats a long ways away. 

TexasTimbers

Your ears ought  to have been burning a few days ago Richard me and Harold K. were talking about you ;D He got him a new 850HP Morbark and sold off his other two grinders.
Then the next day your ears ought to have been burning some more me and Aaron was ratchet jawing a bit. ;) Not about you though just about biz and life in general.
Good guy that Aaron. You and the missus done good. :)

Welcome to the site semologger there are good folks here.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

semologger

thank you sir. i am finding out that there is a lot of good folks here. nice to find a web site that i really enjoy. my girlfriend says i am addicted to it lol

Thank You Sponsors!