iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine borers and blue mold

Started by ssn vet, September 02, 2022, 10:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssn vet

Greeting all,

I'm laying up rough sawn timbers for a timber frame screen porch build and just milled up white and red Pine logs into a dozen 6x8x14 beams for use as roof purlins.  I sticked and stacked them under my Cover-it tent to dry for a year and just noticed that I have pine borers in one of the beams.

Also, I'm getting quite a bit of blue mold on a few of the beams.

I'd like to nip this in the bud before the little monsters ruin my timbers.

I've sprayed diluted bleach on pine timbers I had air drying in the past, but that was long ago and I can't remember the mix ratio.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.  

moodnacreek

In warm weather green pine stains and in the stickered pile it will until the m.c. drops a bit. If the cross flow is interrupted it will turn black and grow white fuzz. A tent or basement is a bad place.  Those insects should go away leaving their holes.

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

ssn vet

I doused them with a 50-50 mix of high test outdoor use only bleach and it seems to have arrested the mold.

I flooded the pine borer holes (only in two sticks) and jammed a nail down them to "mechanically agitate" the larvae and haven't observed any more saw dust piles being generated.

I also purchased some Tim-bor, but haven't had a chance to apply it yet.

The August humidity has broke and Autumn whether is finally here.... so hopefully, I'll be in good shape.

kantuckid

I have no idea about a PPB's hole being jammed working or not but can tell you for certain that wood/carpenter bees come out somewhere else! It "sort of works" but always. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!