iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help! Tractor will not hit at all

Started by livemusic, September 24, 2022, 09:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

You can purchase a bypass switch that is made for testing and troubleshooting. $20 or so? It has two leads with alligator clips, and a push button momentary switch.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

Performance Tool W80586 Heavy Duty Remote Starter for Car and Truck Engines with Push-Button Switch and 5-ft Wire Leads , Black Amazon.com: Performance Tool W80586 Heavy Duty Remote Starter for Car and Truck Engines with Push-Button Switch and 5-ft Wire Leads , Black : Automotive

This would help someone isolate a weak solenoid, bad starter switch or an open circuit. If you tried jumping directly across the solenoid to complete the starter circuit, the wires aren't heavy enough for the load and you'll probably cook it😁

Don P

Also make sure all controls are down and loose. If the hydraulics move when you hit the solenoid that might not be a good thing. 

One more way to field check the solenoid a little is to jump from the battery lug of the solenoid to the trigger wire spade. That feeds a  known good 12V trigger voltage to the solenoid and should cause the electromagnet inside to close the connection to the starter's big lug on the solenoid. This is the low spark way to jump a good solenoid with a bad keyswitch or trigger line. If the solenoid is bad, the magnet cannot close the connection by jumping to the trigger spade, but jumping across the 2 big lugs will work. If you don't have a meter but do have a screwdriver, that can help diagnose a little.

Wlmedley

When you have got your hand down around starter connections do not have a ring on your finger.I've seen a few fella's short out a ring to ground and get their finger get burned really bad.I was warned early in my career as a mechanic to never wear a ring. I never have.Also on a heavy duty starter such is on heavy equipment jumping the two large lugs will only make starter spin.I will not kick out and engage flywheel.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Wlmedley

Back in time before they started locking steering wheel and transmission shifter with key switch you could start and drive off any car by running a wire from battery positive to positive on coil and jumping solenoid on starter.Don't ask how I know.Only took a couple minutes.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

barbender

I won't wear a ring, for the same reason. I told my wife I would get a tattoo of a ring on my finger if she wanted, and I dislike tattoos😊 I snagged my rings on a few equipment ladders when we were first married, they are generally just a bad idea IMO.

Resonator

They make non-conductive (silicone) wedding rings, available in different colors.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Don P

Mine is in my wife's jewelry box. My BIL arced his to his finger on his honeymoon jumping the old goat. My Dad had his on when he got his ring finger tangled in a belt sander. They had a time cutting it off with the swelling going on. I don't need anything there to add to the excitement.

rusticretreater

I hooked my wedding band on a chain link fence while putting a tarp over a open top dugout at a baseball field.  I stumbled off the bench and I could have lost a finger easy.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

barbender

I tried the silicone ones and couldn't find any that fit right. I figure after 24 years everyone pretty well knows who I belong to😊

firefighter ontheside

I haven't had my gold ring on for at least 3 years.  I think mine is also in my wife's jewelry box.  The silicone ring does me just fine.  I had a black one for a few years and then my wife got me this one with the red line which signifies fire fighters.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

livemusic

I finally discovered the problem, a plastic wiring connector failed, the wire just corroded and broke at the connector. It was under the front where the battery is. I wired it up and it cranked right up. Thanks for posts.
~~~
Bill

charles mann

Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

barbender

maple flats

Glad you got it started.
However I have a Mahindra, a 3616, cab model, hydro. It is a 2012 and has been a great tractor, BUT it has had some issues. The first is that the neutral safety switch is at times hard to find. By that I mean there is no positive centering position on the hydro control, I often need to push the forward pedal to the floor and let go of it, as the pedal rises, with my left foot on the clutch I hit start repeatedly when it is in the right position it starts, sometimes I need to put my toe under the hydro forward pedal and raise it slowly with my toe. 
I had one time just early this past summer when it wouldn't start after repeating that process 3-4x, so I checked the battery, the cheap cable clamps, actually the positive one had corroded and broke. I replaced it with a lead one, issue fixed. I don't like those cheap clamps, in fact my 2011 F350 diesel has them on both batteries, I just bought 2 pair last week to replace the cheap ones with brass ones (like the old lead ones but in brass).
The only other times my tractor wouldn't start I'd forgotten to shut the PTO off. 
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Ljohnsaw

I was reminded of this thread late yesterday afternoon.  My SkyTrak was turning over sloooowly.  I ran it at high idle but that didn't help the next time.  Had to jump it.  It's a diesel and has two batteries hooked in parallel for more cranking power.  The battery clamps look like they hadn't been touched in quite a while.  I've had it for about 8 years and never looked at the batteries ::)  I'm thinking, they're old and now I gotta buy some new one.  Fiddling with a new meter, I read 11 volts each after pulling the cables.  So, took a long shot and cleaned up the connection but no joy starting.  Jumped it again and checked the alternator for output.  It was putting out 13.2 or so (not great).  The amp meter on the dash shows just a little positive (always has).  Ran it around for moving stuff for a little bit.  Today, works fine.  I think the corrosion wasn't letting it charge good.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!