iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Soft Shackles

Started by Hemlock121, January 26, 2023, 11:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemlock121

Good Morning,

I was talking to a buddy who is an avid 4 wheeler about moving logs around my place and he suggested that I use soft shackles instead of my snatch block when using my electric winch or come along. Has anyone used soft shackles when moving wood around your place or up onto the mill?  My buddy said that soft shackles will be faster to connect and are rated for heaver loads than my snatch block.

WV Sawmiller

I had never heard of soft shackles. They sounded like something in a kinky movie or such. I looked them up and they look simple to use but I can't help but wonder why that knot does not pull out of the loop.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Walnut Beast

A soft shackle is very strong but it's used in place of a metal shackle. But you better not have any sharp edges. There not going to replace a snatch block

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Resonator

They are two different things.
A soft shackle is a short length of rope manufactured with a loop (noose) on one end, and a knot on the other. It is designed to be be wrapped around an object to be pulled, with the knot going through the loop to form a shackle loop, that is then connected to a winch line. 
A snatch block is a pulley built into a bracket that is connected anywhere a winch line is to be doubled up (over the pulley) to increase pulling power. 

Side note there are good and bad soft shackles. A good one will have a large, mushroom shaped knot, and a small loop that will "lock" onto the knot to keep it from coming apart while winching.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Joe Hillmann

I cant imagine using soft shackles in place of snatch blocks.  Did he mean in place of the metal shackles?

Soft shakes are very nice to use, but the dont handle narrow or sharp corners(like a snatchblock may have)  and the ones I have used melt as soon as there is any sliding friction.  So you need to be careful in how you use them.

I also had problems with them for repeated work in cold snow.  The heat up in use, snow gets on them, melts then it freezes stiff making it difficult to use.

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

OlJarhead

We use them to winch out jeeps.  You can also get snatch blocks for them
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

OlJarhead

WARN 92097 5,000 lbs. Epic Snatch Block | Quadratec
Here is an example of what we use with our synthetic rope winch ropes and soft shackles.

TSAW

Soft shackles are nice if you have lots of equipment to lug around as they are quite a bit lighter than the equivalent rated metal shackle.  The down side is they are a bit more expensive to purchase and they don't take the same beating and dragging that a metal shackle will.  IMHO.

Crossroads

Quote from: OlJarhead on January 26, 2023, 07:29:56 PM
We use them to winch out jeeps.  You can also get snatch blocks for them
Whaaaat? You mean Jeep's get stuck? Say it isn't so! 😎
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Rhodemont

Not familiar with soft shackles.  Looks like a good thing to have in my truck rather than hooking a chain to it for the once in a while times I use it to pull something like a tree off the road.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

OlJarhead

Quote from: Crossroads on January 27, 2023, 12:10:42 AM
Quote from: OlJarhead on January 26, 2023, 07:29:56 PM
We use them to winch out jeeps.  You can also get snatch blocks for them
Whaaaat? You mean Jeep's get stuck? Say it isn't so! 😎
Other peoples jeeps do lol ;)

Hemlock121

Here is an example of a soft shackle.  You run your synthetic rope or cable through the aluminum ring, then push the knot through the loop that self tightens around your tow strap or tree saver.  Provides you with mechanical advantage and is lighter and faster to connect than a snatch block.  Maybe this would be a good tool while in the woods and then use a snatch block around the mill.

Walnut Beast

I hadn't seen the shackle with the aluminum groove ring with the padding under it. 

Walnut Beast

No way faster than my shackle and no way better. I put my tree saver around the tree, hook and the knob unscrews the plate to put your cable in screw plate back. There is a reason these snatch blocks are 450 bucks  apiece new.

Guarantee these will take double or triple the load. They are a serious snatch block. With a serious price 😂

beenthere

WB
What are the weights of each? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Walnut Beast

They are pretty beefy. Put them on the scale and they are right at 13 pounds each

memopad

Quote from: Walnut Beast on January 27, 2023, 08:27:56 PM
No way faster than my shackle and no way better. I put my tree saver around the tree, hook and the knob unscrews the plate to put your cable in screw plate back. There is a reason these snatch blocks are 450 bucks  apiece new.

Guarantee these will take double or triple the load. They are a serious snatch block. With a serious price 😂
So here's the beauty of trying new materials. You could build a soft shackle snatch block to replace those monsters at a fraction of the cost and have a much higher working load with no moving parts to fail. Never mind how much lighter the entire setup would be. Something like what Hemlock posted above would do the trick, ideally paired with synthetic cable instead of steal. Try it, you won't go back.
Vallee Green Monster mill
Case JX65 tractor/loader
Hitachi 35U mini excavator
Stihl 021, 241cm, 361

Thank You Sponsors!