iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ridgewood Stoves

Started by Wudman, March 10, 2015, 06:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wudman

I am currently building a new house and looking to install an OWB.  I'm drawn to the Ridgewood Model 7500 to heat a 2500 sq ft house, about 2000 sq ft of insulated shop and maybe a hot tub somewhere down the line.  Does anybody have an opinion on this line of stoves?  If not a Ridgewood, I may go with a Taylor.  There are a bunch of them in this area.  A few of them have been heating for 20+ years.  Any responses would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

boilerman101

Wudman, remember going forward that you want to buy a furnace from a company that will still be in business for parts and warranty after your purchase. Due to the new EPA rules many companies won't be if they don't have a model that meets the new standards. I don't believe either of the companies you just mentioned currently has a model that meets the phase 2 standard as they are not shown on the EPA list.

snowstorm

i have had a taylor for 10 yrs. buy one. the most i have spent on it was a new blower. put a new zinc in it every yr thats about it. it may not be the latest and greatest but they work well. dosent smoke much dosent care if the wood is dry or not. not much to go wrong with it. mine is the t1000 it holds 900 gal. can you find a used one?

Wudman

Thanks Guys.  The Ridgewood is a fairly simple design using off the shelf parts.  It seems to be a fairly well made unit.  As for the EPA standards, I'm hoping somebody will reel them in before long.  The Virginia General Assembly passed a bill that prohibited any state agency from enforcing the new EPA regs.  Given a few years, I hope some common sense will prevail in Washington.

Snowstorm, Thanks for the comments on the Taylor.  I know of a handful around here that have been doing their job for 20+ years.  I've been looking for a used one, but they don't stay on the market for long.  I've called about 3 on Craigslist that were gone within days of listing.  I'll look for a little longer and then make the plunge one direction or the other.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

snowstorm

one thing i really like about the taylor is the big door. if you can lift it   it will go in

Thank You Sponsors!