iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Workshop notes.....with a lot of pics!

Started by Piston, August 25, 2011, 10:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi Dave.

You're using a spirit level? Or a plumb level? I hate the spirit levels. They are mason's tools in case like this. I know plumb levels are antique tools nowadays. but are more precise. And last discovery for me, a plumb vertical. Makes things cool for tracing instead of just a plumb line.

I'm sorry being french, i don't quite understand what you mean by in wind.

Bye.

Max.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Dave Shepard

In wind means each end of the timber is in the same plane. You can see in one of Piston's pictures they are using two framing squares, one on each end of the timber, to see if there is any twist in the timber. I have a great deal of faith in modern spirit levels after doing a little testing against a machinists level. A machinists level has graduations typically that measure .0005" per 10". I recently had to lay out a tenon on the end of a half round timber. The top of the timber was not straight any more so I used the level to drop the lines down plumb. The bottoms of the lines were exactly the same distance apart as the top. I was a little bit unsure this was going to work at first, but now I use it with confidence.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

canopy

So suppose there is some twist in a timber. Now what do you do for square rule to compensate for this?

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: canopy on August 27, 2011, 09:56:51 AM
So suppose there is some twist in a timber. Now what do you do for square rule to compensate for this?

Good question. Well it really all depends on the timber and what position in the frame where you intend to use it.

Mostly you either strike out lines with a chalk line or you use your layout tools to compensate for the defects in the timber.

On Piston's timber the twist was not enough to worry about, less then 1/16".

However on some of the others we had some sawmill defects that we had to deal with. Which were out of square timbers.

On one of our 6" x 9" plates we saw that one end the surface of a side wasn't true.

As shown here as the dotted line:

You can also see in the end view drawing that I have picked the reference face and adjacent face and labeled them with the two standard triangles.

We checked and the surfaces although not completely 90° to each other were parallel. That is the top and bottom and the left and right.

We selected this surface to be the top so that the timber would line up this way.

Next we hung a framing square onto the timber to see how far it was out.

And using a combination square set to the offset we could project the location on the bottom of the plate for the vertical mortise for the post tenon.

As shown here:

This way the mortise is truly vertical and in the correct position off the reference plane which is the outside of the building.

Any gap between the top of the post and the side of the plate will be covered by the vertical siding when it is applied.

Does this help you to understand how to deal with this type of situation?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

canopy

That's looks good for handling twist in the adjacent faces, thank you. Going one step further, some timbers have more severe twist that effects all 4 faces. What I mean is if you take a perfect timber and twist one end, then there is no reliable reference face at that end. Now what can be done?

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WildDog

Thanks for taking the time and effort Piston, some really good stuff there. You have spurred me on to do some wood work, everything I work on lately seems to need a welder. :(
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Jim_Rogers

To Piston, Norm and Rich:

Jack and I are going to try and do the full frame fit up this weekend on Saturday the 10th.
At the site.

You're welcome to come by if you're available. (I don't expect you to come, Rich) but I had to include you in the offer.

We hope to raise the frame on the 18th if the weather is good and we have everything done. Of course I'll try and take as many pictures as I can.

Jack has decided that would should use my gin pole to raise the plates. So that will be the plan.

We may even use it to raise the bents. I'm not sure of that right now, I'm suppose to be figuring out the weight of a bent and see how many men/people we'd need to do it all by hand. If we don't have enough then we'll use the gin pole for sure.

Jim Rogers

Piston

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it for the raising.  Out of curiosity, did you and Jack keep track of the amount of hours into the project so far? 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Jim_Rogers

I have tracked what I have done. But I don't know or think Jack has tracked what he has done.

Jim

Jim_Rogers

Last Sunday morning we put the frame together.

We started early around 9 am or so, and we were done with what we had planned to assemble by 1:30pm. Then we had a nice lunch provided for all by Jack's wife.

(Jack was my client on this project, not to be confused with any other "Jack" we mention often at the timber framing section of this forum.)

Jack son, without me knowing set up a camera and did a time lapse of the frame raising. Some of the beginning stuff was the day before as well.

Here is the YouTube link to the video:

http://youtu.be/BLmsS5FptdY

beenthere

Well done video, and an interesting tour through the day building the frame.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Piston

Glad it's coming together as planned.  That's great he made a time lapse video of it!
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Jim_Rogers

Metal roofing was delivered today. I delivered the purlins boards for the roof today as well.

Jack is out of town today, we'll be starting placing on the purlin boards on Thursday.

Jim Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!