iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Okanogan Forest Owners Field Day

Started by OlJarhead, June 25, 2013, 11:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

We were invited to show off our mill at the Forest Owners Field Day in the Okanogan this weekend and had a great time!  We didn't get much milling done but met lots of potential customers in the process -- and the setting was to die for!  I called it 'The Dream Ranch' which, well, would be a dream to own!

We were told there was a nice log deck for us ;)  Translated that means several rejects from a small logging operation (the owner of which has a stationary mill) that might be better used as firewood but with a few decent logs in the mix.

First log was a pretty gnarly Tamarack (Larch) that was hard as nails!

We had set up Friday afternoon so we could arrive before 8am and start milling early (before the event) to get some product to show off.  It was a beautiful day and the 1000 acre ranch we were on was simply awe inspiring!

We were milling rough cut 2x's for the rancher as part of our demonstration (he provides the ranch for the field day and some logs for us and we show off what we can do to a couple hundred land owners).

Our new LT28 style log clamp was really VERY good BUT it was a little short.  It needs to be 1/2" or maybe 5/8" longer so I think I'll have two more made with different camps on them.  I also want a 'pry' arm attached to them as the nut and wrench idea worked but without top quality high grade stuff it will easily strip under the heavy use of a milling operation.  Here you can see the clamp (yellow) with a shim in it.

The land owner brought over his tractor to load some logs for us later in the day in hopes of getting a little more done as we barely had time to log logs much less mill them when the classes were underway because we could only work during breaks -- the classes were placed too close to the mill so the noise we make disrupted them.  We only milled 3 small logs in 8 hours but talked to a LOT of potential customers.

This log was brought to us from the falling class and they thought it was a nice saw log! lol I cut it down to 8 feet and then milled it up!

My step son enjoying the pace of the day!

That's me checking out the area while waiting to mill something up.

Old Jarhead kicking back in the shade of the awning.

What a place to spend the day :)

The land owner hired us for a couple hours after the show to get a few more 2x's.  We started with this Larch that was a little unruly and took us 50 minutes to complete!  That was about 100bf/hr :(  But we redeemed ourselves and kicked out 184bf in the next hour :)

It just didn't want to sit right against the dogs but we convinced it eventually.

Then we had to whittle it down a little

Finally got to making 2x's :) 

All in all it was a great show and I found out one of my customers bought an LT15 (not sure if I'll get credit since he was a customer rather then an official Demo but he told the WM rep that he bought because of me so we'll see).

One thing I forgot to bring was my pro-sawyers pack with demo cards :(  Guess I better remember next time!

Also, a lot of folks originally thought we were Woodmizer reps selling their mills! lol (Note to Woodmizer, I'll take a jacket, extra large) and I suspect if we had a couple other mills with us we could have!!!  WM you ought to do these events.

Anyway, was a fantastic day and a great weekend :)  I think we picked up about 6 or 7 new jobs from this show!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

opticsguy

nice story and photos, looks like fun and a great place!!!

Thanks!!!
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Brucer

For a minute I thought you'd misspelled Okanagan, but then I realized you were talking about Washington and not BC :D.

They way you're set up does look kinda like a WM demo. I've been to a few of their demos and they usually saw a log, then talk to folks, saw another log, talk to more folks. Maybe you should apply for a position ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

m wood

well done oljarhead.  looks like you had a great time...and getting the leads is awesome too!
mark.
p.s. how did you get invited??
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

OlJarhead

Quote from: m wood on June 26, 2013, 05:17:33 AM
well done oljarhead.  looks like you had a great time...and getting the leads is awesome too!
mark.
p.s. how did you get invited??

I think it was pure luck ;)  I was doing some online searches for listing sites and found the WSU Foresters small sawmill operators site so contacted them and asked if I could be listed.  When the Forester heard I was in that area he replied that he'd add me and asked if I'd be willing to do a demo.  It appears that in the area few sawyers are willing to travel or they have fixed/stationary mills so I lucked out :)

OlJarhead

http://youtu.be/UK57ylP8Xm4
First log of the day.

This Larch/Tamarack was fallen (felled?) 6 to 8 months earlier and left to dry over the winter.  It was HARD!  You can see the mill struggling a bit with it and we had to slow down a bit.

ST Ranch

Eric - nice looking deck of Doug-fir, Larch and Ponderosa Pine logs. You should get some good lumber recovery from those logs. And yes those dryer larch can be slow to cut.
That longer somewhat bowed Ponderosa must have been a bit of a brute as well, especially with the deep crevices in the bark to collect dirt and the double sweep.
Before I got a debarker option on my latest mill, we used a "log wizard" [a 4 inch planer head on the end of a 20 inch chainsaw bar] to partially debark the log. We would make one pass along where the blade was going to enter the log - really helped keep the blades sharp.
Enjoyed your story.
Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

redbeard

I like you mill in action,  and good to see your modifications  are working well for you. You made a good move getting on the WSU extension sawmill site. People that do a search for sawmills  always get that site plus there are not many eastern Wa. Portable mills.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

OlJarhead

Didn't get to work through those sadly as we made too much noise for the classes but it sounds like we may get a call back to run through the rest and more in the near future -- hoping so anyway :)

Some of the more severely bent logs we bucked shorter to take out the bends as the land owner was fine with shorter lumber (8' vs 12 or 16).

OlJarhead

True enough that there aren't as many of us out east in WA.  At least not in the middle of the state (where there aren't so many trees).  I've received calls from Leavenworth, Wanachee, Tonasket, Waukonda and around us locally.  Also got a request from someone 200 miles north of me (where there are a lot of sawmills) but passed him onto a fellow forum member instead.

At the show I had many folks that were from the coast and steered them to WM's pro sawyer network as well as the WSU extensions West side small sawyers network.  No sense in me driving 200+ miles and charging them for the mileage when there are so many of you over on the coast who can do the work and who have bigger faster mills!

Though, I don't know if anyone could mill those little bent logs any faster! lol

Speaking of that debarker!  I need to check on that!  I saw one before and forgot about it...maybe Bailey's has them?

ST Ranch

Eric - Yes I think bailiys have them - you do not need all the log wizard bars and shield options, just the head - we just ground the teeth off an old chain to use as the drive chain [safety first cuz the planer head makes the saw "tip heavy"]. We also used at least a 60 cc saw and a 7 tooth driver to gear it down a bit. WE used about a 20 inch saw bar and drilled it out for the head and rubber shield.  we added a stiff rubber shield - about 4x 6 inch in size - onto the saw  [attach at 90° to the bar] to deflect the debris away from your face.
It will save your blades big time on dirty wood. Also we used to use a pressure washer to wash logs when they are real dirty - again, just clean a strip along where the blade will enter the log.
Good luck.  Tom 
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

Thank You Sponsors!