iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

House fire and death in Southern WV

Started by WV Sawmiller, February 12, 2020, 10:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

One of my wife's co-workers died in a house fire here 2 days ago. He was a HS biology, Science and Driver's Ed teacher and coached and took care of the sports medicine for the teams. He had retired 8-10 years ago and his wife had died 5-6 years ago. He was well respected and beloved by many here. I last saw him about a year ago when I went to pick up my Amish farrier to trim my mule's toenails. Mike evidently contracted to drive the Amish in the area and he was there while I was. The fire is still under investigation but it sounded like he read and stacked newspapers around the house and possibly got some too close to a wood heater or such.

To all members just take this time to remember to check your home fire safety measures and be careful.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Howard, I am terribly sorry to hear of such a terrible tragedy. My prayers are with his friends and family. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

Sorry you and your community lost this friend and teacher.  It's a tragic loss. God be with all who grieve his death.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

firefighter ontheside

Sorry to hear this WV.  When folks are older and living alone it's hard to know what they are doing.  We see it often where they are collecting things like newspapers and it ends up becoming a fire hazard.  Not only does it become fuel, but it makes it hard for us to find them.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

These losses are always hard to take and so preventable these days. SO sorry your community is having to go through this.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Resonator

Sad to hear of the loss. As I write this, my church is helping put together a benefit for the families of two tragic house fires recently. 
A few reminders:
Keep your fire extinguishers charged and ready. 
Have your (wood burning) chimney cleaned and checked.
Keep your (gas/oil) furnace exhaust vent clear of snow.
Test your smoke/CO2 alarms regularly, replace batteries yearly.
Replace smoke alarms 10 years after date of manufacture printed on label.
Keep your exists clear of snow, or anything else that could block them in an emergency.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Sixacresand

Sorry for your community's loss.  Praying for his family. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

DanG

I'm very sorry to hear that. It sounds like the community has lost a real treasure.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!