iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It Never Fails

Started by Corley5, February 02, 2007, 08:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

We're in the beginning stages of a major arctic blast and lake effect snow event and I was just thinking how nice it was that I didn't have anything that needed doing outside the next few days.  Single digits with winds to 30mph and snow just aren't good for working in the woods so Dad and I are planning take advantage of the warm shop to split our 240 Farmall for a clutch job 8) 8)  The calls started at 7PM tonight for firewood.  I've had three orders for 2 face cords each and two of the 3 are just about out of wood  ::)  The 3rd wants hers Monday.  I know what I'll be doing for a while tomorrow  :)  Just poor planning I guess  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Onthesauk

I'm currently cutting and stacking firewood for two years out.  Always amazes me the people you see who wait until the cold arrives before they get started.  Bad thing with you is that even if you plan ahead you get drug out in the cold. :)
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

thurlow

Quote from: Corley5 on February 02, 2007, 08:37:52 PM
Just poor planning I guess ;) ;D
When I'se a kid in the early '50s, a fellow who was making a share-crop for my dad lived across and about 200 up the road from us.  He was probably in his late 20s; had a wife and 3 kids.  Old tenant house;  2 wood stoves, one to heat with and one to cook on (this was the same heating/cooking arrangement we had).  This was in West Tennessee; low temperatures were typically in the 20s or teens.  Every morning 'bout daylight, you could hear him chopping wood with an axe.  Would never chop but  one day's supply of wood and would have to chop/split some before having any heat (or food).  I remember my dad asking him why he didn't split some wood "ahead".  His reply, "Huh, some other man might be living here (with my wife) tomorrow; I not be chopping no wood for him to burn up". 
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

farmerdoug

When my dad sold firewood in the 80's it never failed to increase sales with bad weather.  We would always get orders as the worst weather hit.  Some times we would not sell a face cord for a week but after the snow hit we would get orders for ten different deliveries.  And they never picked up the wood in the snowstorms either. ::)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Ron Wenrich

That's one of the reasons we got out of the retail end of things.  In order to give good customer service, you always had to take wood to them on their schedule.  And their schedule is they want the wood yesterday, but be able to pay for it tomorrow.

We have the same run on the store any time they talk about snow.  People pick up the whites - bread, milk, eggs, and toilet paper.  Cold weather and firewood is just an extension of that kind of thinking. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dana

Yesterday, while snow blowing, the clutch went out in my 5600 Ford. It's now at the neighbor's getting repaired because I dont have a warm shop to work in. Single digit temps are here for a while otherwise I would have done it myself. Turns out the throw out bearing locked up and ate up the pressure plate fingers.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Corley5

I had two more orders this morning before I could escape from the house  ;) ;D  Got it all processed and have 4 face cords on the trailer for delivery Monday.  Having the Mule here and fixed  ;) to feed the processor sure made things simpler.  Glad we put the block heater on it  ;D  Tomorrow looks better.  Gotta deliver a couple round bales in the morning and then maybe we can get some shop time in.  Supposed to be colder tomorrow but it's  supposed to warm up into the mid 20s by weeks end  8) 8)  That 5600 got a cab on it ???  After blowing snow for many seasons with our 180 MF without a cab I'm really enjoying the 706 even though the cab is a bit drafty  ;)  Splitting this little 240 isn't going to be too bad.  It's a descendant of the Farmall C and is fairly small. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Dana

No cab on the 5600. Which is good for breaking the tractor for the clutch job, not so good for snowblowing. It also has a loader but luckly is quick detatch  only took 5 minutes to take off.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Thank You Sponsors!