iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

which mult-meter you recommend

Started by alsayyed, September 17, 2015, 11:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

Hello to everyone . I have fluke multi meter model 88 it is good multi meter but the display is faded and some segments disappeared, I am in the market for buying another multi meter , I have checked amazon store there are so many and some of them made in china which I am trying to avoid    chines products. So dose any body has experience in multi meter.?  and which brand I should go for fluke is good but it is costly.?

Magicman

You make me look.  Both of my UEI clamp-on's (one digital & one analog) were made in Korea, and the Craftsman VOM was made in China.  They all perform very well.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

North River Energy

I bought my Fluke used 20 years ago.  If it fails, will shop Craigslist for another.

drobertson

Quote from: North River Energy on September 17, 2015, 03:41:51 PM
I bought my Fluke used 20 years ago.  If it fails, will shop Craigslist for another.
Pretty much the same story here, you might try hitting a flea market or pawn shop, a good deal could be waiting for you,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Nomad

Quote from: alsayyed on September 17, 2015, 11:32:45 AM
Hello to everyone . I have fluke multi meter model 88 it is good multi meter but the display is faded and some segments disappeared, I am in the market for buying another multi meter , I have checked amazon store there are so many and some of them made in china which I am trying to avoid    chines products. So dose any body has experience in multi meter.?  and which brand I should go for fluke is good but it is costly.?

Alsayyed, the Fluke is about as good as you can find.  But unless you really need a high price fancy one the generic ones from China will do the job for you.  (I don't like buying their products either.)  Sometimes you need to take a reality check on what you really need and what you can afford.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Corley5

I've got a Klein MM1000 that I got from Home Depot.  It's made in Korea.  Mine is, maybe new ones are made in China now.  I've had it couple years and use it on my harvester more than I'd like.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

scsmith42

Fluke and Ideal are my "go-to" meters on the farm.  I also have an old Simpson style meter that no longer works.

Oftentimes you can get your meter repaired; you might want to try contacting Fluke to see if they will repair it.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

svart ole

Go get a low buck one at the box store. Some even come with a temp probe. They work just fine for average troubleshooting. I had a Fluke 77 and it was nice but died a few years ago. I did not need that quality meter in my tool kit so I went with a cheap one. It all depends on what you are doing with it. Most of the time you do not need a meter that is lab quality. Because what you are looking for is the answer to questions like:

Do I have voltage where I should and is it close to normal.

The fuse looks good but is it? Continuity check. They can look good and still be open.

Do I  have a short? Resistance of load is lower than it should be. Or none at all. Open

A signal tracer "Fox and Hound" is great for figuring out "where does this wire go". Or where the break in the wire is. They work well once you get the feel of them.

Something to be said for the pride of ownership of a real nice tool. Then again if you buy the quality you need you can save money and buy MORE TOOLS! You also wont feel as bad when your brother in law brings it back and tells you, "I don't know what happened but it does not seem to work right, and it smells kind of funny".

I am a retired RF tech and still work on paging transmitters and links part time. When I worked as a heavy equipment field service mechanic a low dollar one is all I need. On my repair bench in my radio shop I have a Millivac multimeter for for serious work on the bench. Along with lots of other whizzbang stuff. Just about all of it was used when I got it at a fraction of new price. That is why I have a well equipped bench.

My outlook on tools is, "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it". My wife will tell you that I apply that to lots of things not just tools. 

My wife said I collect junk, I told her I am a amateur industrial archaeologist just trying to save valuable artifacts.

Thank You Sponsors!