iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shipping a big bunch of timbers- how to arrange partial truckloads?

Started by moorerp, September 25, 2015, 01:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moorerp

Howdy FFers,

I've got a couple of timber framing projects going in southern AZ.  Since these timber framing projects generally require timbers (which are not available in great abundance locally, there being a pretty dire shortage of trees in this part of the world), I need to arrange shipping for the reclaimed timbers I've found in Oregon.

So here's my question to you all: does anyone have experience arranging freight shipping with an independent truck operator for a partial load of doug fir beams (or the like)?  The only information I can find on the web, and there's copious amounts of it, seems to be geared towards big trucking companies and and big companies that need to ship large and consistent quantities of stuff.

How does a a normal individual human go about shipping a one-off half truckload of stuff without being charged an arm and two legs?

thanks for any advice,
Randy

BradMarks

I take it that those with the timbers can't arrange the trucking?.  You would be best to secure a freight broker.  Going alone, you will not get anywhere near the best rate available, if you can find a truck.  ???  And you may very well end up paying for a full truck anyway.

WH_Conley

I use Freightquote. Set up an account, you will be assigned a broker. If you just call and ask a price you will be quoted higher. If you want you can PM me and I will give you the extension of my broker.

Sometimes you are better renting the whole truck if you have very many pieces instead of shipping LTL. I had a quote a couple of years ago where 3 pallets cost mere than hiring the whole truck.
Bill

Gearbox

I can tell you that the southwest is going to be more $$$ than other places in the US . it is a bad place to get a flat bed loaded back out of so you need more $$ going in .
Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Stuart Caruk

Freightquote  I used to use them all the time until they tried to requote a load after it was delivered charging almost 3x the amount. They calimed it was overweight. I had a weight ticket and was under the weight quoted on the original manifest. It took a couple years to straighten it all on. In the meantime I found OIA GLobal. Their quotes were about 2/3rds the price, sometimes way less than that. I highly recomend them for partial loads.

For domestic shipments call:
Bob Oakley      Bob.Oakley@OIAGlobal.com
Manager, OIA Expedite
OIA GLOBAL | www.oiaglobal.com | d: 971-230-1534| m: 503-793-1086 | f: 503-493-2094
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

redprospector

Quote from: moorerp on September 25, 2015, 01:38:33 PM
Howdy FFers,

I've got a couple of timber framing projects going in southern AZ.  Since these timber framing projects generally require timbers (which are not available in great abundance locally, there being a pretty dire shortage of trees in this part of the world), I need to arrange shipping for the reclaimed timbers I've found in Oregon.

So here's my question to you all: does anyone have experience arranging freight shipping with an independent truck operator for a partial load of doug fir beams (or the like)?  The only information I can find on the web, and there's copious amounts of it, seems to be geared towards big trucking companies and and big companies that need to ship large and consistent quantities of stuff.

How does a a normal individual human go about shipping a one-off half truckload of stuff without being charged an arm and two legs?

thanks for any advice,
Randy

I'd look a little closer to home if it was me.
I don't know where you're at in Southern AZ, but I think there might be a small mill or 2 around Mount Lemon. I know for a fact there are a few small mills around Eagar, AZ and Flagstaff.
There are mills in the Gila National Forest area, and I have it from a pretty reliable source that there are a couple in the Cloudcroft, NM area.
Some of these mills will have their own trucks, small and large, and will deliver for an added fee. Eagar, AZ and Cloudcroft, NM are both about 300 miles from Tucson. You may get beams delivered for what the freight from Oregon would cost you.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

moorerp

I should have mentioned that I already have a line on the timbers that I want- recycled doug fir from a bridge reconstruction project that I'll re-mill down here in AZ.  Otherwise I'd definitely look for wood more locally.

Randy

scsmith42

I used to use Freightquote but shifted over to Unishippers last year. Great service and pricing.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!