iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

looking for a better way to cup out a log

Started by yukon cornelius, June 02, 2014, 10:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

Quote from: drobertson on June 04, 2014, 07:19:30 PM
A thought that came to mind was to get a set of holes saws with a variety of diameters that match your logs, clamp a waste block to the side of the log so that the hole saw is in wood, making a radius cut 1/2 the diameter in the log you need it in.  please let us know how its going,
I have done that on small rounds such as chair leg and small table leg braces. Worked pretty well on the small stuff. I guess finding a hole saw with the depth would be the problem. If you had a ridged head like on a milling machine you could set up a fly cutter of some sort and make a small cut and move the table and take another small cut. I suppose with the hole saw you could stop and break out the piece once you reach the depth of the saw and continue on that way
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

yukon cornelius

Ozarkkgem that's a nice notch! that would work on my smaller scale to get me started. I gotta look for a log wizard to try it.

drobertson I thought hard about that holesaw before but I didn't have any big enough. some are cupped out for a 5 -6 inch log . I couldn't figure out how to keep it in the wood either. your clamping a block to it idea would work really well.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

ozarkgem

Quote from: yukon cornelius on June 04, 2014, 09:34:00 PM
Ozarkkgem that's a nice notch! that would work on my smaller scale to get me started. I gotta look for a log wizard to try it.

drobertson I thought hard about that holesaw before but I didn't have any big enough. some are cupped out for a 5 -6 inch log . I couldn't figure out how to keep it in the wood either. your clamping a block to it idea would work really well.
If you happen to be over this way you can borrow mine and give it a try to see if it will work for you before you spend the money on one. I think I paid about 180.00 for mine. If I am going to the swap meet I will call and see if you are there and I can drop it off. Can you PM me your phone again. I lost it already.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

yukon cornelius

the sawzall didn't give me the accurate cut I wanted. I have used it a few times here and there on these. I actually took out a bit too much most times. most likely a loose nut on the trigger  ;D

drobertson

I tried to post and lost the link for a bit, but will say, this type of work, doing rustic work, is a hands on venture, it is what makes it unique.  Hand made is just that, time consuming and worth the cost to many.  I have thought over and over on getting into it, but for the same reasons, have not, precision is costly one way or the other.  Making some kind of template that gives a good line to follow for hand work, and have the tool(s) to manage the stock removal is the key. Angle often pose issues as well,  there is a way, and surely you will find it to work to your advantage.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Don_Papenburg

If you used one of them musical copycutters you could make an impression with clay of the spot on the uncut log intersection . Then use that for the pattern to cut the notch log.  DickBlick has some stuff called Mouloge (or something like that ) It is a meltable wax(120*) that can be remelted and reused. Might be stiffer than clay.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

yukon cornelius

yesterday I tried a new way. 1/2" round nose router bit in a drill. it worked pretty good. im still looking for a better way. im leaning towards the log wizard and a framework with a copier. it will take some engineering. officially on the list of to-dos!

Cedar Savage

A Log Wizard would do the trick quickly...if ya go that route mount the wizard as close to the saw head as possible, so as to balance it out. Here's a video of me cleaning up a turtle with one. Also using a scriber, like they use for log cabin building would help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wATNwPnDZhE
"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

Todd

A log home manufactuer I worked for in Montana years ago had giant hole saws that they used to notch the logs....if you could build a platform to hold the log down you could use a hole saw in a drill press to make the notch.
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

firefighter ontheside

The log home company that built my shell used what was basically an air chisel with a gouge that would just spoon out wood.  They drew the line where the notch neede to be, cut out the large center part with a chainsaw and then followed the lines with,the chisel.  It worked well.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!