iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Score Two for the Home Team!

Started by DanG, August 31, 2006, 11:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

For once, I read the want ads and made the call on time, and had the money, and the guy was home, and I had the wheels, and the Wife was asleep. ;D

The main item is this good ol' Belsaw planer.  It ain't shiny and purty, but the important parts are in great shape! 8) 8)

The icing on the cake is this really sweet old Delta/Rockwell drill press.  This thing must weigh 300 pounds! :o  All it needs is a little RustReaper, a wire brush, some Johnson's Paste Wax and a little elbow grease.  It works perfect like it is, though. ;D

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

asy

They look cool!!!  8) 8) 8)

What'd the wife say when she woke up???  :o

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

getoverit

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

DanG

Wife was OK with it, Asy. 8) 8)  She was happy when I told her what a bargain it was, $300 for the pair!  She has seen me struggle with the little bench-top surface planer that won't even knock the dust off a board. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

asy

Fantastic.

Bench planers are coool.

If I did enuf woodwork to warrant one, I'd get one too D:

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

getoverit

Ive got one of them.... and knocking dust off is about all it will do... even on soft pine
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Modat22

I love those drill presses, excellent tools  :o
remember man that thy are dust.

Texas Ranger

Good job, DanG!  I was able to pick up a Delta 15" planer and a delta 36" drum sander the same way, but not for the same price!  I had a Belsaw 12" planer and needed a bigger one.  30 minute drive down back Texas roads and I found an old retired highschool shop teacher that was selling his stuff.  I wanted the planer, but he through in the sander for a little more.  Spent another hundred putting into the shape I wanted, and have been work fools ever since.

That Belsaw looks a whole lot like the one I sold a neighbor.  And your right about the table top models, good for skimming cream off the milk.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Larry

You done good DanG.  I've put maybe 10,000 bf or more through my Belsaw in the last 10 years.  Other than new blades no problems.  You can still get most of the parts if any needed...from Belsaw.  Bought a gear to speed my machine up from 12' a minute to I think 20.  Run it 90% of the time at 12'. 

Some kind of dust collection is a must if your gonna do any production planing.  Learn from my mistakes. :-\

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=4989.0

The first real job I had I got to run one of those Delta drill presses 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.  It was an old machine 40 years ago...but I bet it's still running. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Texas Ranger

Larry, you got that right.  Dust collection is a must, like to shut me down before I invested in a vacuum system, still expanding and made a world of difference.  Even the low end ones are great.

I have a small vacuum set up, but, have two of the trash can seperators on it, makes it a lot easier to work with.

brdmkr

You did well on that deal!  Seems like I am always late, but I did get a pretty good deal on my table saw ;)
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Texas Ranger

these posts got me to thinking, and remembered how I got a 12" Sears contractors saw.  A friend of mine is the  perverbial sack dragger, looking for anything free.  Anyway, he was doing a job for a family and the family had two craftmans table saws siting in the front yard under a tree.  Said that the cabinet maker that built their cabinets left them there "last year" and never came back for them.  So he took them both.  The 10 inch ran, the 12 did not.  Being the generous sort, he offered me the 12 inch for the table.  I took it and got to playing with it, first noticed it had a 110 plug on a 220 moter.  rewired the motor, and runs like a champ.  No damage to it, except the legs had rusted off at irregular lengths from sitting there in the dirt.

Lucky is better than good.

Left Coast Chris

Dan..... My dad has that exact drill press.  He is a machinist and he put a foot pedal switch on it so you can walk up to the bench and step on the foot pedal and it runs.  I think they last for ever... he is 83 and had it for years.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

DanG

That foot pedal idea is a good one, Farmer.

It don't take much of an expert to figger out that this thing will be around when the rest of us are gone, does it? :D :D  It's one of them things that yer Great Grandson can leave to his Great Grandson.  Speakin' of leaving things behind, this old drill press has a label on it from Farquhar Machinery Co. in Jacksonville.  My Son's Grandaddy retired from there.  Guess where this one's going when I'm through with it. ;D

sandmar

Good on ya DanG! pass it forward! what a steal, for that money you can just sit and look at them for enjoyment and get your money's worth Now........let the shavings fly!!!
Sandmar

beenthere

That foot pedal switch is a good idea, and as long as you don't mis-step on that switch when tightening a drill bit in the chuck with the T-handle wrench, you will really appreciate the savings in time. Otherwise, you will wish it wasn't underfoot when you mend your hand back together. I've seen it first hand. Not pretty.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

I been thinkin' about that too, Beenthere.  My shop is far too, ahhh shall we say, eclectic? to have such luxuries.  I'm likely to chuck most anything in there when I need something to spin on an horizontal plane. ::)  I also might not be standing on any given side of the machine when it operates.  I think it would be a huge boost in a well organized machine shop, but it probably isn't for me.

Thank You Sponsors!