iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

Back before cell phones a friend was on his way home from his teaching job and the truck broke down. His wife who is a nurse was going to be coming by in a bit so no worries. Now she had pulled a long set of shifts and was driving home 2 hours from the hospital. He see's her coming, waves his hands, then arms, then jumping up and down in the middle of the road behind her. He said he could see the glazed stare, she was heading home on fumes, she never saw him  :D.

doc henderson

It was one of those days at work.  I ruin a pair of shoes a year usually with trauma.  today was one of those days.  placed and order for a new pair, and the last time was June 20, 2020.  I always have one backup pair of leather shoes.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Sorry Doc, that ain't good. I don't think its dumb though, just part of the job. I do recall a job or two where I had to strip down to my skivvies (and change) then red bag the clothes before driving  home. Many more times I would throw my gear in the back of the truck and hang it on the fence and hose it down, then hang it in the shop to dry. We didn't have a washer in the firehouse then. Hydrogen peroxide does a great job of taking out the blood, just soak it in a tub for a while.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

VB-Milling

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on May 15, 2021, 06:19:44 AM
Sorry Doc, that ain't good. I don't think its dumb though, just part of the job. I do recall a job or two where I had to strip down to my skivvies (and change) then red bag the clothes before driving  home. Many more times I would throw my gear in the back of the truck and hang it on the fence and hose it down, then hang it in the shop to dry. We didn't have a washer in the firehouse then. Hydrogen peroxide does a great job of taking out the blood, just soak it in a tub for a while.
Hosing down everyone's bunker gear in the driveway of the firehouse as a probie....don't miss those days!  Probably still isn't a washing machine in that firehouse... :(
HM126

firefighter ontheside

Yeah, in my early days we never cleaned our gear.  If we did it was just a quick hose down.  Now we put our gear in the extractor after every fire and get out our spare gear.  Trying to cut down on the risk of cancer.  Back in the day we couldnt afford extractors or a spare set of turnout gear.  Cancer costs a lot more.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

yes soot and smoke from fire has carcinogens, just like that inhaled in cigarettes'.  The chimney sweeps would employ orphan boys back in Victorian England.  they would be small enough to get inside a chimney.  many of them got cancer, covered in soot head to toe day in and day out.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Nebraska

A few years ago I had a really nasty calving ended up soaked to the skin smelling really foul... I wasn't  that far from home so I stripped down to my boxers and threw the dirty clothes in the back intending to stop by the house and shower quick before returning  to the clinic.  It was only six or seven miles back.  About two miles from the house I met of course the township guy maintaining the road. Got a really funny look from the road grader operator......  ::)

Walnut Beast

Just cruzin in the country in boxers 😂

Nebraska

Well I had my boots on.   ;D

Tacotodd

That's something that I'm prone to (be) do(ing).  :o  And I AIN'T pretty.
Trying harder everyday.

Ed_K

Ya carrying a bull calf over your shoulders back to the barn can be fun  :o :( >:( .
Ed K

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Nebraska on May 16, 2021, 05:03:44 PM
A few years ago I had a really nasty calving ended up soaked to the skin smelling really foul... I wasn't  that far from home so I stripped down to my boxers and threw the dirty clothes in the back intending to stop by the house and shower quick before returning  to the clinic.  It was only six or seven miles back.  About two miles from the house I met of course the township guy maintaining the road. Got a really funny look from the road grader operator......  ::)
I had a similar situation years back on an ugly EMS call at around 3am. No bunkers on for that one, so I hosed off my boots and I threw a plastic tarp over the drivers seat in my truck and drove home and tossed the tarp. I stood outside the door and stripped down and left the clothes in a pile. I would have stripped before driving home, but it was February. 
 I was pretty glad the wife and kids were sound asleep because I really didn't feel like explaining. ;D Only the dog greeted me, but she did give me a weird look.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

Several years back I had to open the bombay doors under the skidder for something that wasn't right.  Fixed whatever it was, closed the doors up and proceeded to climb back into the cab when I realized my clothes were crawling, all of them.  Seems I had laid in a seed tick nest the whole time and they were not coming off.  So I stripped to nothing, threw the clothes in a pile away from the nest and hosed them with deet.  Knew I had a change back in the truck so I jumped back into the cab and headed for the truck, with nothing but my birthday suit on, and a cracked, vinyl skidder seat.  

Made it about half way across the opening to the truck and as luck would have it, there was someone parked by my truck waiting to talk to me.  Dropped the skid of logs right there in the path, and turned around for the woods - I am sure they were scratching their head wondering what I was doing but I was not getting any closer to whoever that was until my status changed.  Waited a while and made a return trip eventually.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

GAB

Quote from: Ed_K on May 17, 2021, 08:09:26 AM
Ya carrying a bull calf over your shoulders back to the barn can be fun  :o :( >:( .
Were you able to save your socks?
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Nebraska

Managed to whack the very tip of my thumb off today working calves.   About an 1/8 in thick slice took a little  nail with it.. always stay focused  running sharp instruments. ::)

doc henderson

what would you do if someone was trying to cut yours off.    fight.  glad you are ok.

Nebraska

:) the calf was well restrained  by my help, there was no excuse of kicking  etc ,  I just was going too fast.. 

Ed_K

@GAB, nope and my rubber boots got a washing on the inside too  ;D .
Ed K

GAB

@Ed_K :
I've never done it so I can't speak from experience, however I remember my dad saying if he had to carry a calf to the barn he preferred it to be a heifer.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Southside on May 17, 2021, 08:36:46 AM
Several years back I had to open the bombay doors under the skidder for something that wasn't right.  Fixed whatever it was, closed the doors up and proceeded to climb back into the cab when I realized my clothes were crawling, all of them.  Seems I had laid in a seed tick nest the whole time and they were not coming off.  So I stripped to nothing, threw the clothes in a pile away from the nest and hosed them with deet.  Knew I had a change back in the truck so I jumped back into the cab and headed for the truck, with nothing but my birthday suit on, and a cracked, vinyl skidder seat.  

Made it about half way across the opening to the truck and as luck would have it, there was someone parked by my truck waiting to talk to me.  Dropped the skid of logs right there in the path, and turned around for the woods - I am sure they were scratching their head wondering what I was doing but I was not getting any closer to whoever that was until my status changed.  Waited a while and made a return trip eventually.  
All my life I have been going into the woods and never have had a encountered a "tick nest", how many are we talking? I'd lose my collective stuff if I had a nest on me 
A1

Nebraska

Hundreds  if I were to throw out a guess, I can recall finding two while turkey hunting over the years....

Magicman

Put a fat "dog" tick in a jar and forget about it.  Over a period of time it will split open revealing hundreds of eggs.  These eggs will ultimately hatch into "seed" ticks.

I have had my britches legs covered almost black with seed ticks.  We would break off a Cedar or Pine branch and flail them off while dancing a jig.  The jig didn't do any good.....but it helped.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

HemlockKing

Quote from: Magicman on May 22, 2021, 09:36:25 PM
Put a fat "dog" tick in a jar and forget about it.  Over a period of time it will split open revealing hundreds of eggs.  These eggs will ultimately hatch into "seed" ticks.

I have had my britches legs covered almost black with seed ticks.  We would break off a Cedar or Pine branch and flail them off while dancing a jig.  The jig didn't do any good.....but it helped.
If tha THats the dermacenter tick then those are the ones I see most frequent. Oh boy.
A1

Walnut Beast

When I get a tick or several I put them in a small piece of tin foil that traps them then hold the side of tinfoil and put lighter under and pop and in trash 

Thank You Sponsors!