iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a new router table

Started by 21incher, August 17, 2019, 03:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Just getting started on a new router table. Figured that I would share the build. Chose a router and cast iron top so far. First part is about the router I chose and a good overview of the cast iron top including flatness. Here's a video Router Table Build Part1. Purchased Parts First Look - YouTube 
Will take a while to finish it all up so it will be in multiple parts. 

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

samandothers

Nice looking pieces of equipment. Thank you for sharing your purchase and review of the two items.  You did a great job.   

21incher

Thanks. I couldn't find much information about the Sawstop cast iron top online so I figured this may be helpful to others. It's a beautiful top but I expected it to be a little flatter. Looking at the MLCS power lift but they don't think the router will fit and they are buying a router to see if there is anyway to make it work.  can't wait to finally have a decent router table with power  for larger cutters.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

samandothers

Hope it works out.  I look forward to your build.

Crusarius

Definitely looking forward to this build. I have an ok router table but be real nice to make a new one. I keep thinking about a vertical router table, or would it be horizontal? Where the router hangs off the side. Works great for doing edges of boards. 

21incher

Quote from: Crusarius on August 20, 2019, 12:29:15 PM
Definitely looking forward to this build. I have an ok router table but be real nice to make a new one. I keep thinking about a vertical router table, or would it be horizontal? Where the router hangs off the side. Works great for doing edges of boards.

I needed the larger router for flattening slabs because my Bosch 1617 was having a hard time with the 2 inch cutter so I decided to finally upgrade the table also. I want to get better at raised panel doors without a shaper and this should help. I am building a power fence that I thought would be easy to control with an arduino and a tablet but am finding out how little I know about programming 😧 and may have to simplify it for now.
My FIL used to have a router like that with vertical raised panel cutters so he didn't have to spin big cutters and it worked really good.

Crusarius

Power fence could be pretty kool. 

Did you ever see my slab finish setup? If you are talking arduino you could really take something like what I slapped together and make it rock. I would love to add an arduino and set a pattern to surface a slab. just set a start point and end point then go do something else while it runs.

21incher

Got started on building the auto fence today. Waiting for some more parts to install lead screws and stepper drives. 
Router Table Build Part2 More Purchased Parts, Starting The Auto Fence Assembly - YouTube

Quote from: Crusarius on August 21, 2019, 07:05:14 AM
Power fence could be pretty kool.

Did you ever see my slab finish setup? If you are talking arduino you could really take something like what I slapped together and make it rock. I would love to add an arduino and set a pattern to surface a slab. just set a start point and end point then go do something else while it runs.
Didn't see it, will look for it. I am giving up on the tablet and Bluetooth for now. I just want a real time dro with different jog settings. I have zero programing background so it's a struggle.

Crusarius

If you run into issues with the arduino I may be able to help. If not I have a guy I work with that can help.

My surfacing setup is in my sigline. It is quick and dirty. But works quite well.

21incher

Quote from: Crusarius on August 22, 2019, 07:55:35 AM
If you run into issues with the arduino I may be able to help. If not I have a guy I work with that can help.

My surfacing setup is in my sigline. It is quick and dirty. But works quite well.

Thanks.  I am now thinking about just using GBRL to start. I built a 2 axis box I was going to use for a cnc lathe or cnc slab flattener/sign maker for my mill bed that will let me get started. it has a accurate dro. jog functions and numerical input. There look to be some good apps for that plus I can always use it for the router lift axis if the MLCS one doesn't work out.  For  moving a slab flattener I just planned on a 12 foot long tensioned 1 inch wide timing belt like I use on my other cnc machines.  just anchor it to the bed,  tension it and you basically have a 10 ft cnc router that works with standard g code. If I get stuck I will take you up on your offer.

Crusarius

I never heard of GBRL till now. Thats pretty kool. The other thought is a controller out of a 3d printer.. The only trick with that is writing g-code. For what your doing though the jog function is really all you need.

21incher

My 3d printer runs on Marlin that includes an extruder drive. Here's the GRBL box that I built It is only a 2 axis box that is setup for 4 amp steppers I was going to use for a cnc lathe and slab flattner. G code is very easy to generate and can be stored on a sd card for different size slabs if you head in that direction. Most cad programs can generate it for simple x,y,z moves of a generic machine. For accurate moves the axis and move value are very easy to key in. GRBL handles all the pulse generation, acceleration, and deceleration tasks. A cheap way to start playing with CNC. I see the new GRBL version allows you to slave 2 drives in unison with separate limit switches for squaring the axis so I am flashing another arduino and bought some accurate optical switches to try.
2 Axis GRBL Control Box For A CNC Lathe Build. - YouTube 

21incher

Made a little more progress. The Auto fence is finally finished and moving under power. will be starting on the cabinet next.  This is the recent update video 
Router Table Build Part3 Building The Autofence Parts Assembly And Arduino Moving It - YouTube
I see many long hours learning to write code for the Arduino in my future.

Crusarius

Wonderful.

That really is going to be soooo nice when you get it done. I would think if you added a keypad and a small digital display you could punch in the distance and hit go. Could probably set it up for relative or absolute also. The jog feature can be nice to. Are you thinking about adding any type of digital readout? Could be nice to make sure your at the right spot for multiple cuts.

I keep thinking of making something just like that but for flattening slabs. Be great to set everything up. Set your zero point. Then input your slab size and let it go. Flattening slabs can be a very painstaking process.

21incher

Quote from: Crusarius on September 08, 2019, 11:45:44 AM
Wonderful.

That really is going to be soooo nice when you get it done. I would think if you added a keypad and a small digital display you could punch in the distance and hit go. Could probably set it up for relative or absolute also. The jog feature can be nice to. Are you thinking about adding any type of digital readout? Could be nice to make sure your at the right spot for multiple cuts.

I keep thinking of making something just like that but for flattening slabs. Be great to set everything up. Set your zero point. Then input your slab size and let it go. Flattening slabs can be a very painstaking process.

I am not 100 percent sure what the final controls will be yet. I found a nice touchscreen but would have to switch with the arduino mega to have enough pins and probably spend hundreds of hours learning to program  it all and get it working. I am going with full steps so the math is easy and it will move 1mm per 100 steps that will be accurate enough for this application.  If the mlcs lift won't accept my router then I will also build a power lift and that changes everything.  Going to focus on the cabinet next while researching which way to go with the controls. The worst part of flattening slabs is the sawdust you eat. Be sure to add a good dust collection system. 

hackberry jake

I am thoroughly interested in this project. Keep up the good work. I'm surprised arduinos and steppers don't find their way into more machines. The ability to have repeatable precision placement for so cheap is amazing. Maybe put one of the wires for the router through a donut and have the power feed slow down if the amperage gets too high. Ok, I'm getting carried away now.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

21incher

Quote from: hackberry jake on September 15, 2019, 06:27:35 PM
I am thoroughly interested in this project. Keep up the good work. I'm surprised arduinos and steppers don't find their way into more machines. The ability to have repeatable precision placement for so cheap is amazing. Maybe put one of the wires for the router through a donut and have the power feed slow down if the amperage gets too high. Ok, I'm getting carried away now.

Well I gave up on the arduino for now. Didn't want to spend the time and had issues trying to piggyback 2 drives on one set of outputs. Plus I now am building my own power lift. Switched to some simple pulse generators and switches with closed loop DRO's that let me get down to .0001 jogs. Get carried away if you have the time. :P
Router Table Build Part4 Gave Up On The Arduino Changing To Pulse Generators And DROs - YouTube

Crusarius

That is looking awesome. I started playing around with MPCNC. Hoping to build a 5x12 CNC table.

21incher

Quote from: Crusarius on September 25, 2019, 10:26:14 AM
That is looking awesome. I started playing around with MPCNC. Hoping to build a 5x12 CNC table.

A small cnc router is easy to build and fun to learn on. Can't wait to see your build on the 5 x 12. I looked into building a big one like that but found it was cheaper to find a good used one. A 400 pound gantry takes big servos to  run right  and those big water cooled spindles are expensive. I've seen a couple like that on craigslist over in Syracuse area lately that looked nice. I couldn't justify the money in the end and just dream now. I want to build something with the Masso CNC controller so I can play with it.

Crusarius

I am going super low budget on this one. The rails will be 3/4" emt conduit. I bet the entire build router / plasma torch and all will be less than 75 pounds. If it works, great. If not I will upgrade till I am happy.

Ed_K

Anyone know what this is?

I bought this at an auction thinking I could use it to build a router table?
Ed K

21incher

Quote from: Ed_K on September 26, 2019, 08:56:12 AM
Anyone know what this is?

I bought this at an auction thinking I could use it to build a router table?

It looks like one of the old planer knife sharpeners that lets you sharpen knives right on the machine. Not 100% sure though.

21incher

Dakota

Very nice.  I'm enjoying this build.
Dave Rinker

21incher

Another update on the build process. Moving along slowly with all the other things that have to be done this time of the year
Router Table Build Part6 Finishing Up The Cabinet Installing The Top And Final Wiring - YouTube

Quote from: Dakota on October 09, 2019, 11:36:25 AM
Very nice.  I'm enjoying this build.
Thanks, it will be nice to finally have a decent router table that is easy to set up.

Thank You Sponsors!