iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The greatest Christmas gift ever...

Started by SnoJetter, March 25, 2005, 10:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnoJetter

...well, maybe not the greatest ever, but it was my favorite of last year.

A while back I had asked for some help in locating parts for an old Jonsered 535.  This 535 had been my grandfather's favorite saw before he ran unmixed gas through it.  When it quit working he gave it to me saying I could have it if I wanted to put the money into fixing it.  It sat on a shelf in my garage for about 5 years before I decided to fix it.  I then got the bright idea to give it back to Gramps as a Christmas present.  He and Grams were going to be down visiting me and the family for the Holiday, so I could give it to him in person. 

I cut it close, but I finally had the saw all ready to go the day before Christmas Eve.  I ran two tanks of gas through it cutting some wood just to make sure it was going to run well (I'm a Stihl guy, but that saw impressed me big time).  I then cleaned it again and wrapped it up.  Was he ever surprised when he opened the box!  I've never seen him react as excitedly as he did when he saw it.  It was GREAT!

During New Year's I was up at his place and his brand new Jonsered sat unused while he cut up several fallen Ash trees (beaver-fallen) with his favorite old saw.  I think I got the better end of that gift seeing him having a great time with an "old friend."  The first picture below shows Gramps opening the box with me looking on.  The second shows Gramps reaction.

Priceless!  Regards,

Kyle Sands <>< Huntley, MN

Buzz-sawyer

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Kevin

fishhuntcutwood

Yeah Kyle, good post!!  That's really good to see.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

jjmk98k

simply wonderful, i am sure it meant more to him than anything else, the time you took to rebuild it for him....

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

tnlogger

now that was a great post Kyle and just the look on his face is something you will remeber
in the years to come.  :)
gene

Robert R

I officiated my grandfather's funeral about 2 weeks ago.  It was the hardest thing I ever have done.  I needed to see this.  Thank you--you done did right by that man and God will bless you for it.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

tony_marks

snow.. yiou nailed bud.. just keep up that stuff and life is good.. by the way your dad looks enough like my grandpa to be his twin brother..brought back good memories.

oldsaw

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

firedog

That is awesome.    8) 8) Cherish those Grandparent's.

Tom

I remember an adage from my youth "it's better to give than recieive".   Wonder where that came from? Acts 20.

Good Show!

SnoJetter

Thanks for the replies guys!  Gramps was just down here for Easter and his comment - like most everytime I see him - was: "When are you gonna come up and see me!"  Translated, that means, "when are you gonna come up and help me cut wood!"  Gramps is a logger at heart even though he "earned" his living as a minister for 50 years (he was an independent logger, supplementing his income as a farmer during the winter months in northern Minnesota before he became a full-time pastor).  Supposedly he's retired, but a preacher never really retires - and even at 80 years young, he's no exception.  With 120 acres and a No. 2 American sawmill on his acreage, he spends most of his spare time managing his woodlot.  "I've got 40 ash logs to saw up this spring," he tells me.  That doesn't include all the less-than-ideal trees, or portions of trees that will be collected for firewood (he's already got enough reserve for 5 winters).  He'll saw up the nicest rough 1" boards you'll find anywhere, and when it's all over, he'll go back into the woods and find 30 more dead or dying trees that will eventually end up on the mill.

Gramps and I have been "logging" together since I was old enough to handle a maul.  I can't think of a better, more honest way to spend time with one of your heros!

Kyle Sands <>< Huntley, MN

Chris J

Kyle--I remember the original thread.  Giving a gift that meant so much to someone that you respect & love must have been an awesome feeling.  Very happy for you & your Grampa!

Chris J.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Thank You Sponsors!