iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OWB Maxed Out

Started by PoginyHill, March 02, 2021, 07:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoginyHill

My Classic Edge 750 has met its match. This morning hovered just below zero with 20-40mph winds - gusts to 50+. Every zone in the house was calling (including hot water) and I had heat in the garage on to keep above freezing in there. Took about 1.5 hours to heat from 180 to the setpoint of 190. Granted, I had just filled it for the day, so the furnace temp didn't get as high as it will after the new wood warms up and starts to burn. I've not seen it struggle that much with decent wood.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

dougtrr2

At times I have the same situation with my indoor Woodgun boiler.  There was a period this winter where the temps were way down, the wind was up, and my wood was not the best.  It is a simple matter of physics.  The house requires so many BTUs pe hour delivered to maintain temp and the furnace can only produce so many BTUs per hour.  The difference in those two numbers is the only heat going to raise the temperature of the water. There were times when it seemed to take forever to get the water temp back up. It seems to me that the wind has a bigger effect than the temperature.

Doug in SW IA

1countryboy

Totally understand maxed out outdoor furnaces.   My Heatmor 400 heats over 10,000 sq feet (big farmhouse and big shop).  The Ash (dead) does not have the btu s and the oak was still wet.  Added Ky coal.  Like ur equipment.   
Ohio Certified Tree Farm, Ohio Centennial Farms, Ashland County Soil Conservation Award., USDA/ASCS/FSA forest management(TSI) 1963 to present, retired educator, NOT retired farmer and a real farm shop to fix all my old equipment.

hedgerow

I have the same issue with my Garn. When we have sub zero temps for days with lots of wind I have to stay on top of my storage temps or I get behind the eight ball and it really has a hard time keeping up with the heat load even burning season hedge. When it gets that cold I am burning three full loads of hedge in 24 hours and that about nine hours of burn time to burn that much wood. 

petefrom bearswamp

16 yr old classic here.
set from 170 to 180, wood dried at least 2 years, ash beech and hard maple.
the wood usually starts to burn before i finish filling.
heating 3200 sq ft house to 71 degrees, 800 ft  garage to 55.
Granted we probably dont get as cold as you in northern Vermont but have never had a problem.
stoke twice a day, about 8 am with 10 or 11 nice size chunks, the about 5 with 12 to 14
7 degrees this am, wind last night gusts to 35 or so,  and water temp was 175, damper still closed.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Hilltop366

That is when some extra thermal storage it handy if I keep on top of things and see the temp drop coming. It was 44° here yesterday and it is 10 today with 50mph wind so yesterday I burned an extra 2 full loads in my indoor boiler (3 loads total) and dumped the heat in the floor so this morning the house and workshop are both 68 which is where we usually keep it and I will probably burn 3 loads today to keep it there.

sublime68charger

my first year with my 760HDX and we had a week of below 0 temps night time of -30 and daytime of -5 or so.

Mine was able to keep up.  At night I would stuff the fire box full and then a regular load and half in the morning and stove was able to keep up and never got behind.  

Heating 2,500' for the house,  1,300' workshop and my 24x26 garage,  though the garage temps got below freezing during that cold spell garage heater is I plug in when I want it warmed up.

my load is what i can stack in my wheel barrow full load 

Thank You Sponsors!