The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Lumber prices too high  (Read 19169 times)

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: Lumber prices too high
« Reply #360 on: May 15, 2021, 02:53:11 AM »
The real danger here isnt the stupid prices.  Theyre very temporary.  

Its that stupid people will soon demand price controls, and our system cannot recover from that plague once it spreads to everything. 
Psalm 37:16

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #361 on: May 15, 2021, 04:30:30 AM »
The real danger here isnt the stupid prices.  Theyre very temporary.  

Its that stupid people will soon demand price controls, and our system cannot recover from that plague once it spreads to everything.
This is true, but there is the other stupid people that will decide they can get rich on this price bubble. Investing too much, based on the crazy prices. If you do your business plan on $10 boards and the price comes back to $5, people go broke. 
NZ has tried price controls in past, and you are right, they don't work, and have been abandoned as a dumb idea. So, "recover" is possible, but they are a bad idea still. It was a bad political experiment. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Online SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #362 on: May 15, 2021, 04:33:28 AM »
They keep feeding us demand is up with all this COVID money. Well, if you're not working and you're getting that, how are you further ahead? Only way we get that money up here, as a non-business entity, is if not working, kind of unemployment. We don't get a $900 a week cheque from work, plus $2000 a month extra unless you have 4 kids (and you already had that money anyway before COVID). So the math don't work for higher demand unless you guys down south get paid from your employer plus government COVID on top. All construction around here is commercial, so steel not wood. Not a single house being built in my travels. Crabbe's mill yard is stuffed full of wood that has sat for months uncovered and getting a little grey around the edges. Still sawing and kilning. When it gets to a point of no return, they can shove it through the pellet mill. :D

Only the filthy rich are building with $2000/mbf 2 x's and $120 a sheet 1/2" spruce plywood. :D

Somebody is the gate keeper and it ain't the consumer, nor is it the loggers. If it were me I'd shut down logging until I got my share. It's just equipment, so tell the financier to come get it if they want it that bad. :D  

Had a guy suggest you can sell biomass (low quality wood) for $60/cord. I said why would I do that when firewood is $300+ a cord? I wasn't raised a fool. :D
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #363 on: May 15, 2021, 04:53:26 AM »
The last time price controls were enacted it didn't work .I doubt seriously if they ever will .It was comical in a way .The controls put on the auto industry didn't control extras such as whitewall tires, air conditioning  etc .All they did was make those standard items  and thus raised the prices .
Controls on wages caught me because I was an apprentice electrician at the time .Two  or three of my periodic increases were stopped and I really could have used the extra money at that time .

The brotherhood of railroad engineers stopped that .It only took a four day strike and they got their raise and soon after there were no more price controls .
Need I remind the boycott dubbed the house wives protest on sugar .It only took two weeks and the bottom fell out of sugar prices .So it's simple enough don't buy any lumber .
The stock market, as I've said is ink on paper or rather a computer file some place .Historically it ebbs and flows but still long term returns about 11 percent .If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen they say .That in 401K's you're ahead of the game any way ,the money was tax deferred .You have to draw out 4 percent yearly so that  could fluctuate .BTW one of mine this year returned 37 percent and I have 4 of them .For that matter I don't even need them to still live good .If they tanked 40 percent I'm still ahead of the game and they will come back given enough time .I don't lose any sleep over the whole messy situation the world is in. I certainly cannot change it . ---more --- 

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #364 on: May 15, 2021, 05:00:13 AM »
I won't get into the politics of it but it wasn't that long ago they enacted a 20 dollar surcharge on credit cards .I just fired everyone of them .It wasn't too long they all wanted to be my buddy .If they do it again ,I'll fire them all again ,it's that simple .I've  worked my entire life time for what I've got and I get greatly offended if some body tries to get their hands on my wallet .Actually junk yard dog furious .

Offline jimbarry

• Share Post
    • WoodchuckCanuck
« Reply #365 on: May 15, 2021, 05:07:42 AM »
Had a guy suggest you can sell biomass (low quality wood) for $60/cord. I said why would I do that when firewood is $300+ a cord? I wasn't raised a fool. :D
Or sell it for kindling at $900 a cord  :D
Jim
WoodchuckCanuck.com ? Livin' the rural life in Nova Scotia.
Kiln - 2017 Nyle L200, 8ft x 10 ft x 20ft bldg, 3.5-4" 2lb closed cell spray foam, Demilec brand, HeatLok Soya Spray Polyurethane Foam Insulation

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #366 on: May 15, 2021, 06:24:17 AM »
The stock market, as I've said is ink on paper or rather a computer file some place .Historically it ebbs and flows but still long term returns about 11 percent .If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen they say

While it is just numbers on computer screen, the safer investments are actually a "share" in some real assets. You know, a factory, power station, something "real". Something that both generates profit, and gains (or at least retains) value. The more "speculative" shares tend to have less asset backing, and it becomes less clear what you actually own. 

My late Father sold out of a high flying "investment" company before a Stock Market crash, because he realised all the "assets" it held were shares in other "investment" companies. House of cards stuff, there was no "real" assets or profit making business involved. The "profits" they recorded were merely other "house of cards" stocks going up in value.

As you say, if you invest in a "genuine" business, then it's assets should be increasing along with inflation, AND the business is is making a profit to either grow (increase in value) or pay a dividend. That will all go up and down with economic fortunes, but long term a spread portfolio should steadily increase. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #367 on: May 15, 2021, 06:25:04 AM »
 Price of spf 1k on bloomberg dropped to $1435. From a high of $1800.or $1900. a week ago.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #368 on: May 15, 2021, 06:50:09 AM »
That's what I don't get about  this underground "bit coin " thing .Sounds like a game for suckers and I don't want any part of it .
It wasn't that long ago they thought gold ,like krugerrands was the hot deal .A lot of hot air, they just wanted a brokerage fee out of the deal .
If I'm not mistaken good old Ben of kite flying fame once said a fool and his money are soon parted .He also said where there is not good drinking there is also not good living .Now mind you this was at the same time Mr Franklin thought he was a teenager with a twinkle in his eye using his charm on the cute little French ladies  .Ben being Ben but he got his picture on a $100 bill which must say something . ;D

Offline woodroe

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #369 on: May 15, 2021, 06:59:23 AM »
Quote from: Al_Smith
.So it's simple enough don't buy any lumber

Not from the big retail lumber yards anyway, local mom and pop mills might still be good though.

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #370 on: May 15, 2021, 08:27:17 AM »
We (me and my board of directors) have been talking about building 3 new cabins. I sent a material list to one of them on March 21. 7/16 OSB was $12.25. We kind of drug our feet so I sent an updated price list on April 21. 7/16 OSB was $43.29!!! A quick glance at my price sheet shows everything else up from 10-15% in that same period of time.
Just checked Lowes again. It's $54.10. That's just ridiculous!

4'x8' is 32 bf, fire up the mill and tell Lowe's to pound sand. ;)
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #371 on: May 15, 2021, 09:19:01 AM »
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Interesting  explanation from a fiber trader
Stumpage is low and LUMBER futures are high however,  futures have been lowering for the past few days price I found was $1390/1000BF
Big chain Home store has treated 6x6x8's  $48.92/each

should give me some leverage to price my environmentally friendly black Locust a bit higher.

D

Offline rojen

• Hey-oo
    • Share Post
« Reply #372 on: May 15, 2021, 10:05:03 AM »
The real danger here isnt the stupid prices.  Theyre very temporary.  

Last time we had national price controls was under Republican president Richard Nixon.
I mean, the plumber, electrician, excavator, framer, roofer, and landscapers I'm not hiring to work on my delayed new house build would probably appreciate the government stepping in and stopping commodities brokers (bipartisan campaign financiers) from driving the price of OSB to $60 a sheet, but the "stupid people" in this country don't realize it's actually the space lasers and critical race theory making lumber so high so here we are. 
There was a time when people who traded commodities in high volume had to be able to take delivery of the commodities they traded.  But regulations are bad and Buffy Richington the fourth can push lumber futures to $2000/mbf. 
You're clearly one of the people who have asked for this to happen so lay down in the bed you made for us and quit complaining. 
HM126
MS250
CS7310P
Home-made arches
Polaris Ranger 1000
Chains, ropes, and cable
Wife Power

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #373 on: May 15, 2021, 10:07:31 AM »
Bubbles make frenzied mal-investments.  

Those frenzied fools deserve independent liquidations.  Its all fun and games until lowes and home depot get a TBTF bailout.

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #374 on: May 15, 2021, 10:08:18 AM »

You're clearly one of the people who have asked for this to happen so lay down in the bed you made for us and quit complaining.
Yeah, thats me.  You got me all figured out.  Crawl back under whatever socialized rock you came from.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #375 on: May 15, 2021, 02:26:00 PM »
Nearly every commodity given enough time will see a correction .Some will be gleeful some will pull their hair out .
I have enough steel bar joists, I beams, standing seam roofing and siding to erect a 40 by 60 building .I don't have the lumber it will take though for nailers .I can wait it out which it will come down .If not I still have the steel items which are worth something ,probably more than I paid for them .

Offline SPDM

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #376 on: May 15, 2021, 03:00:26 PM »
There was a time when people who traded commodities in high volume had to be able to take delivery of the commodities they traded.  But regulations are bad and Buffy Richington the fourth can push lumber futures to $2000/mbf. 
Last year around May, oil futures went negative. As in, people were so desperate to not have to take delivery of oil that they were paying people to take their oil futures off their hands before the end of the month.

The markets are now primarily a means to an end in-themselves (speculation). And the value "created" by speculators gets to be spread out among the schmucks that actually need the commodity i.e. us. 

Online stavebuyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #377 on: May 15, 2021, 07:26:00 PM »

Yeah, thats me.  You got me all figured out.  Crawl back under whatever socialized rock you came from.
Thank you for saying what needing to be said Mr. Belben. 

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #378 on: May 16, 2021, 08:53:19 AM »
There was a time when people who traded commodities in high volume had to be able to take delivery of the commodities they traded.  But regulations are bad and Buffy Richington the fourth can push lumber futures to $2000/mbf.  
Last year around May, oil futures went negative. As in, people were so desperate to not have to take delivery of oil that they were paying people to take their oil futures off their hands before the end of the month.

The markets are now primarily a means to an end in-themselves (speculation). And the value "created" by speculators gets to be spread out among the schmucks that actually need the commodity i.e. us.
Very true we had chinese speculators (that went bellyup) buying all the oil they could saying it was cheaper than water (true also).  Then a group of very savvy english day traders figured out that they could squeeze the oil market on closing day by hammering the delivery price on end of quarter closing.  This was a recognized risk by many large companies but the new money (chinese entity) was not properly hedged and lost everything.  English day traders scored over $600 million that afternoon, very good write ups about that in one of the financial reports (FT, or WSJ or something).  The english day traders were a rough and tumble group of non college educated professional traders, not wall street types at all.  They had a score for the ages.  In the meantime...average joe at the gas pump was getting $1.50 gas and I had 3 offers for off road at less than a dollar a gallon.  No money then and a 2000 gallon double walled fuel tank.  Sigh...  
Liking Walnut

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #379 on: May 16, 2021, 09:39:18 AM »
I would not have the nerve to be a day trader and for that matter I don't gamble on anything .I have private  investments ,mutual funds and 401 k's plus an inheritance in stocks .I have not touched them ,I don't need them .They are diversified enough if one tanks the  others rise .
Oh the bankers who think they know more than me try their best but it's not  their money it's mine .If I want to bury it in the back yard or stuff it in a mattress  that's my business not theirs .
The nay sayers try to preach doom and gloom which frankly I don't .They can jump out of buildings if they want .I'll just sit on my patio under the hot sun of summer under an umbrella and watch them --of course with a few cold ones to stay hydrated and keep Budweiser in business . ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Step right up and beat those high lumber prices!

Started by alan gage on Sawmills and Milling

67 Replies
Last post June 03, 2021, 11:02:51 AM
by HemlockKing
xx
Interesting article concerning current high US gasoline prices

Started by scsmith42 on General Board

44 Replies
Last post May 03, 2006, 05:04:12 AM
by highpockets
xx
Lumber Prices vs Softwood Prices.