The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Winter Firewood  (Read 3343 times)

Online brianJ

• Only get excersize if I choose the right hobby
    • Share Post
Re: Winter Firewood
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2021, 03:36:31 PM »
Yesterday i put up a cord of smooth bark hickory. Love that stuff in the furnace.
The temperature got up around 65 degrees and by afternoon the pile was covered in hundreds of honey bees. Nothing blooming here yet.
The borer has gotten to this area.   Nealy all the ash died over this past summer.   Going to be 90% plus ash in the pile for the next few years.    The convenient part is it is all accessible from the edge of the fields.    I have myself a bigger pile here in early March than Ive had in about forever.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2021, 08:34:35 PM »
Most of the EAB killed ash will stand 5-6 years before the roots give away then over they go .If the dead fall doesn't lay real long it takes weather relatively well .Standing dead hickory might make it that long until the wind gets it .Hickory puts off the heat but really blows sparks doing so if the draft from the stove hits it with the door open .Hickory in wet ground contact doesn't fair well neither does maple .Nothing will coal up like oak except osage orange but that's rather rare in these parts .
As for firewood the cold of winter is about over .Due to the fact it's warming up I might hit it a lick before the spring monsoons get here I don't like cold weather but prefer that to mud .Believe me Ohio can get mud like Louisiana .I've stuck nearly everything that can get stuck including bull dozers .

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2021, 04:45:00 AM »
Soil here on this place is so full of gravel and stones, the mud is gone as soon as the snow is gone. 8) But you hit some ground with a lot of clay in it, it will be mud until June. We work on some land that one forestry company doesn't waste much money on road building. Bulldozed ditches is a better term. You can't make road from garden soil unless you're in the desert. ;D Then there are other mills that make roads for year 'round travel, hard as a rock year around. :)

I will be pretty much set for firewood for next winter here, I might have to cut 2 cords.

Been cold here last couple days, talking 40's next week. The sap will be a flowing. ;)
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2021, 05:11:45 AM »
Was poking around the loaded firewood with a poker that was a gift for my parents for their gas fireplace. And of course, it turns out they are just for looks. Catastrophic failure!! Broke in 2 parts. :D Well, you can guess the origins of this thing. It's not marked, but obvious. It definitely ain't brass handle either. ;)

Well, ordered up a new Enviro brand poker out of Ontario, shipping and tax is about 3 times the price of course. :D But at least they don't hide it like Amazon does (free shipping :D ), plus 5 bucks cheaper over all for the same tool. ;)

Keep warm out there. ;D

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2021, 08:39:45 AM »
Don't throw it away .Unless it's made out of aluminum it could probably be brazed back together .It's a poker doesn't have to be pretty .

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2021, 08:49:16 AM »
Oh, it's definitely going in the trash. :D

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2021, 03:17:17 PM »
Rebar and conduit work fine for me.  
Proverbs 19:11

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2021, 04:15:44 PM »
I've got an old iron one down in the shop by the old stove. I bet it's been around 60 years and very simple. Probably made local.

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2021, 04:18:11 PM »
Im just using an old but broken shovel handle. You just have to be aware of any spark on it. 💰 and all.
Trying harder everyday.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter