The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Firewood Table Build  (Read 2477 times)

Offline PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
Re: Firewood Table Build
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2021, 07:56:51 PM »
I appreciate the input from you folks. For now I plan to stick with my original plan. I think the basic frame could be modified for a different use in the future with a little cutting (Might force me to buy a plasma cutter ;D). Finished the two main frame beams, then ran out of MIG gas. Will pick away as free time allows. Trailer axle is taking a little more time to ship than planned.

Kubota M7060, Cat E70B, Case 310, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 391

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2021, 10:02:42 PM »
holy new metal batman.  i cant even remember what thats like!
Psalm 37:16

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2021, 07:35:56 AM »
Steel aint cheap either.
Trying harder everyday.

Offline 711ac

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2021, 08:54:03 AM »
Wow!
Your not playing 👍

Offline 711ac

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2021, 09:02:48 AM »
Not nearly the same, but my "table" to keep the saw out of the dirt, stand upright and have the rounds at waist height to carry to the splitter. I'm only cutting my own firewood. 

Offline PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2021, 09:18:44 AM »
@711ac I think I saw some of your pics when I was researching ideas for mine. Same here - only 10-15 cords/year for myself. If the price ever gets a bit higher, maybe sell some - but now (at least in my area), $200/cord doesn't provide much incentive. The only real difference between yours and the one I'm building is portability (and maybe capacity for 16ft lengths - not sure of your length). Would like to easily move mine around the yard without relying on forks.
PS I grew up around your area in Maine - Gray to be exact.
Kubota M7060, Cat E70B, Case 310, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 391

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2021, 09:43:10 AM »
love your 'bota setup 711

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2021, 12:28:39 PM »
got bad news for ya. One of your frame pieces is upside down :)

Looks nice. love fresh steel

Offline PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2021, 12:52:30 PM »
got bad news for ya. One of your frame pieces is upside down :)

Looks nice. love fresh steel
Let's hope nobody notices when it's all together.

Offline PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2021, 07:43:10 AM »
Basic frame is done. With 4" worth of wood on top it'll be about 32" off the ground for the cutting table. The off-bearing table about 26". Wife OK'd that height last night. Need to attach the wheels on the back and the feet and trailer tongue on the front.

Offline SpaceBus

• Full Member x2
  • Farm Sawyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2021, 08:08:23 AM »
Not nearly the same, but my "table" to keep the saw out of the dirt, stand upright and have the rounds at waist height to carry to the splitter. I'm only cutting my own firewood.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Do you burn green wood in an OWB? 10-15 cords a year is wild! I have two stoves in my house and only use 3 cord per year, no back up heat either. 
Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

Offline PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2021, 08:53:41 AM »
My wood is not green, but not fully seasoned either - maybe 20-30% moisture content. Every year I'm getting a little further ahead. Next winter should be fully seasoned. I can't answer to why 10-15 cords. That's not unreasonable from my experience and that I know of from others. I burned 8 cords when I had an indoor wood boiler. But now my oil backup never runs and I heat my garage often. Cold climate and on a hill - completely unprotected from the wind and a 100+ year old house would be factors. You must benefit from the warm on-shore breeze from the Gulf of Maine  :)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2021, 09:23:53 AM »
nice work PH  

Offline SpaceBus

• Full Member x2
  • Farm Sawyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2021, 01:53:47 PM »
My wood is not green, but not fully seasoned either - maybe 20-30% moisture content. Every year I'm getting a little further ahead. Next winter should be fully seasoned. I can't answer to why 10-15 cords. That's not unreasonable from my experience and that I know of from others. I burned 8 cords when I had an indoor wood boiler. But now my oil backup never runs and I heat my garage often. Cold climate and on a hill - completely unprotected from the wind and a 100+ year old house would be factors. You must benefit from the warm on-shore breeze from the Gulf of Maine  :)
Ha, I wish it were a warm breeze! Our house is also on a hill, but south facing and super insulated. Lack of insulation and heating a garage will definitely increase consumption, so I could see 10-15 cords. Especially if you are burning in a conventional OWB without storage. I burn in a wood cookstove pretty much every day till June and we have a freestanding stove as well. The cookstove is allegedly 75% efficient, but the freestanding stove, which does the real heating work, is EPA certified at 83%. There are at least two gasification OWB that have 75%+ efficiency, the Heatmaster G series and the Polar G4. Both are closer to 80% efficient  and eligible for the new tax credit. 

I like your wood processing setup, at some point I'd like to do something similar. While I don't burn as much as you, I do like to avoid bending over and keeping my bar away from the dirt. 
Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

Offline 711ac

• Share Post
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2021, 04:37:55 PM »

Do you burn green wood in an OWB? 10-15 cords a year is wild! I have two stoves in my house and only use 3 cord per year, no back up heat either.
Edit; responding to space bus.
No only about about 6, normally less and dry. I have an indoor gasser that's mostly to heat the shop's slab but does heat the house. I have about 14 racks that hold about 90c/f each and my wood goes directly off the splitter to the rack and gets top covered with rubber roofing. I'll burn it at 1 year minimum but in the single row rack, split and covered it's good, at least for my boiler. Super dry wood actually causes problems for me.

Offline SpaceBus

• Full Member x2
  • Farm Sawyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2021, 06:25:41 PM »

Edit; responding to space bus.
No only about about 6, normally less and dry. I have an indoor gasser that's mostly to heat the shop's slab but does heat the house. I have about 14 racks that hold about 90c/f each and my wood goes directly off the splitter to the rack and gets top covered with rubber roofing. I'll burn it at 1 year minimum but in the single row rack, split and covered it's good, at least for my boiler. Super dry wood actually causes problems for me.
That's pretty good for heating a shop and the house! Do you have storage for your boiler? I dream about building a shop and heating it, and my house, with an indoor gasser with storage. 

Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

Offline 711ac

• Share Post
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2021, 04:13:32 PM »
No storage, but on my list. We have what's come to be called a "barndominium". Just enough house on the end of the generous shop. I really don't want to give up the floor space in either the shop or house. In my view if I add storage, it'll be meaningful (1000 gallon) and that will take another fairly big tank for expansion adding up to a good bit of floor space even if I put the 1000g tank in a vertical position. Then there's the price of used LP tanks, it wasn't too long ago that we'd pick them up easily and make smokers out of them 😆 not anymore! 

Offline SpaceBus

• Full Member x2
  • Farm Sawyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2021, 05:47:33 PM »
No storage, but on my list. We have what's come to be called a "barndominium". Just enough house on the end of the generous shop. I really don't want to give up the floor space in either the shop or house. In my view if I add storage, it'll be meaningful (1000 gallon) and that will take another fairly big tank for expansion adding up to a good bit of floor space even if I put the 1000g tank in a vertical position. Then there's the price of used LP tanks, it wasn't too long ago that we'd pick them up easily and make smokers out of them 😆 not anymore!
Have you ever heard of American Solartechnic? It's a Mainer company that offers products for solar and wood hydronic heating. The company offers a pretty interesting solution to thermal storage. 

American Solartechnics, LLC. - Heat Bank Storage Tanks

Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

Offline PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2021, 08:45:18 AM »
Metal frame is done. Attached axle and made the tongue. Copied commercial wood splitter designs and made the tongue removable to avoid the trip hazard when in use. Tongue has 2" receiver to mount either a ball hitch or Ag hitch. Next is paint. Then apply wood to the top.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2021, 08:51:25 AM »
You aint playin

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
I want to build a table

Started by Brad_bb on General Woodworking

52 Replies
Last post February 02, 2012, 09:10:05 PM
by Ironwood
xx
Farm Table Build

Started by 123maxbars on General Woodworking

6 Replies
Last post October 24, 2016, 10:59:09 PM
by opticsguy