iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood Table Build

Started by PoginyHill, April 16, 2021, 07:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoginyHill

Quote from: cutterboy on May 30, 2021, 02:11:43 PM
Looking good. Nice location you have up there. Pretty view with lots of trees.
Thanks, and yes, very lucky to have stumbled upon this drug house being sold by the Federal Marshall 25yrs ago. It's been a non-stop, but fun project ever since.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

doc henderson

well with family visiting, you would of had some helpers.   :)  are the top boards considered sacrificial?  will have to replace occasionally in your plan?  may depend on who is running the saw.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

PoginyHill

Quote from: doc henderson on June 01, 2021, 10:55:03 AMare the top boards considered sacrificial?  will have to replace occasionally in you plan?  may depend on who is running the saw.
Yes. Top two layers of 2X4's are fastened with common deck screws. I will cut the top 2X4 to match the firewood length as needed. I hope I'd need to work hard to hit any metal with the saw, but ya never know....
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

doc henderson

with it setting by your wood pile, will the splitter have a spot there also?  I see a red chunk of iron in the back ground, but does not look like a splitter.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

PoginyHill

Loader/trailer on one side and splitter/firewood pile on the other side. Haven't put all the pieces together, but will get a pic or two when I do. The red thing is my Wallenstein tractor winch.

PoginyHill

Maiden voyage of the firewood table and new-to-me All-Wood splitter. Did about 1.5 cords with the wife. Hot day. Us northerners don't do well with the 80's. Overall worked well. Biggest complaint is the splitter. For a 24" stroke, opening was exactly 24". No room for variation in the 24" pieces I cut. So I cut back the wedge point to give about 3/4" extra room. Much better, but still a PITA on those occasional 25" pieces. May cut back the wedge point some more or cut off the 6 tangs on the push plate and weld a bunch of small beads - a little less standout distance from the plate.

mike_belben

Boy thats a tidy jobsite.  Looks great. 

I hope youre chaining all that beautiful iron up with a camera on it at night. 
Praise The Lord

PoginyHill

Thanks, Mike. Although wife still warns me "don't make our yard look like a junk yard!" Thankfully, theft is not much of a problem in our area. At least big stuff. Still have drug-induced break-ins, occasional bank or convenience store stick-up, and theft of hand-tools.

mike_belben

I broke mine in early.  Our maternity pictures were literally in a junk yard.  Came out really good too actually. Her idea. 
Praise The Lord

PoginyHill

Have processed another 3-4 cords with this set-up. Working well - no complaints. Much easier to stay ahead of the Mrs. than it was cutting off a pile or off the ground. Much easier on the back too. Nothing touches the ground now. This pic was Saturday before our first significant snow storm. Neg 2F on the thermometer this morning and about 6" of snow.

mike_belben

Looks great.  Time for a barn build!
Praise The Lord

stavebuyer

Eliminating the bending over is big deal. From ground to splitter height is a killer even if the splitter has a log loader. Bending over to cut and roll blocks is much harder on you than carrying or turning. Nice job.

For those(like me) who don't have your fabrication skills Wolfe Ridge offers an interesting cutting table.

mike_belben

Quote from: stavebuyer on December 22, 2021, 06:43:07 AM
Eliminating the bending over is big deal. 
Thats my lifes goal, metaphorically speaking.  ;D
Praise The Lord

sublime68charger

very nice build on that!  looks like it works very well!

PoginyHill

After 20+ cords of wood, I'm very happy with the table. Only modification so far is to mark cutting sizes with paint, instead of relying on the every-widening notches. Orange marks are for 24" pieces and yellow for 16" pieces. My splitter doesn't have much allowance for any oversized 24" pieces. In fact, I had to cut the splitting wedge back about 1" to give some allowance, so cutting accurately and square across the table is a must. The paint marks help with that.

I marked the orange (24") and yellow (16") in three spots: on the end where I stand to cut, in the middle on the far side of the cutting table (the wooden rail), and the far, far side where the cut pieces are pushed off (black metal bumper). I use these marks to align the chainsaw bar (similar to open sights on a gun) to help cut square. Otherwise the pieces on the far side can be off-length.

PoginyHill

Since I recorded how this is used, thought I'd share it here. Plus, I didn't want @YellowHammer to think he was the only one that can successfully work with his wife.

(5) Firewood Processing. Two cords, Two people, Three hours. - YouTube

barbender

That's a great looking operation, but I would say the same thing to you that I keep telling myself- it's laid out so it requires too much walking. Maybe your wife wants to get extra steps in, but I know around my sawmill I have to improve the layout because I have to walk and carry stuff too far. It was something that I didn't used to be too concerned with, but I've had an issue with one of my knees for the last 6 months. It only has so many steps in it each day, and I can use them all up before I have gotten much done. Kinda like saving your bullets😊 I keep watching Yellowhammer's sawing videos and getting ideas on how to change things to, "save steps".
Too many irons in the fire

cutterboy

Nice setup. I love that firewood table. You have a very helpful and understanding wife. You're lucky! Also your dog knows his  way around the work area, seems to know how to stay out of the way.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

PoginyHill

Good dog. Good wife. Can a man ask for anything else?

barbender

Nope, at least you probably shouldn't if you have those two going for you😊

barbender

I also suffer from fits of jealousy over that Metavic loader/trailer combo, it is sweet!

Thank You Sponsors!