iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 61

Started by donbj, April 25, 2021, 02:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donbj

Aquired this 61 and it has this weird attachment on the muffler. It doesn't look scabbed on but who knows. Any ideas as to what this could possibly be? It's a hollow pipe and runs to the bottom of the clutch cover. Hmmmm.

I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

mike_belben

Someone also trimmed the hood a lot.  You can see the hand braze job.. Its a backyard thing.

I dunno if its sposta be a bar oil heater or a sawdust blower outer or trying to direct gas away from the trunk?  Looks like the original gill vents on the side are shrouded too.  None of my 61s had that big shroud bracket redirecting gas that way.
Praise The Lord

Real1shepherd

Maybe for their version of a Nordfeller. You can Google some Nordfeller setups for the 70E. Kind of a real rare beast in NA. I've only seen a few ever.....complete

Not factory(the pic) as far as I know.

Kevin

donbj

Didn't think it was a factory thing. Whoever did it did a good job. I can't think of any gains in this. I don't think it's chain oil heat as it doesn't go near that.

The thing fired up so we'll ponder and go from there :)

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Real1shepherd

We may never know on that guy, unless someone else has seen something similar. Personally, I don't see any advantage of it?!

How does the piping end....does it have threads?

Kevin

sablatnic

Quote from: Real1shepherd on April 25, 2021, 11:29:07 PM
Maybe for their version of a Nordfeller. You can Google some Nordfeller setups for the 70E. Kind of a real rare beast in NA. I've only seen a few ever.....complete

Kevin
Not for a Nordfeller, they tapped the pressure from the combustion chamber. 
I too have seen only one, for a Jonsereds 451.
I wonder if it is for killing moles

donbj

Quote from: Real1shepherd on April 26, 2021, 05:02:55 PM
We may never know on that guy, unless someone else has seen something similar. Personally, I don't see any advantage of it?!

How does the piping end....does it have threads?

Kevin
The piping just ends at the bottom of the clutch cover. Probably someones idea of a good idea :D

chet

May have been an attempt to blow 'curls' clear of the side cover when noodling.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

mike_belben

are the muffler gills closed up? is that pipe the only exhaust passage?
Praise The Lord

Real1shepherd

Quote from: sablatnic on April 26, 2021, 06:09:13 PM
Quote from: Real1shepherd on April 25, 2021, 11:29:07 PM

Kevin
Not for a Nordfeller, they tapped the pressure from the combustion chamber.
I too have seen only one, for a Jonsereds 451.
I wonder if it is for killing moles
Yeah, I know that....I said "their version". I've seen 70E's completely set up for a Nordfeller. And I saw a vid once of one all hooked up and demonstrated. Doubtless I'll ever see one in the flesh. Can't say though that I feel I'm missing something in life.8)

Kevin

Real1shepherd

Quote from: chet on April 26, 2021, 09:35:32 PM
Noodling happens mostly up inside the clutch cover.....not thinking this would help much for that.

Kevin

DHansen

Looking at the two photos and the two modifications, I think someone was attempting to remove heat from that area of the saw.  The modified top cover would allow heat to rise off the muffler.  The pipe would have routed hot exhaust gases to to side opposite the operators left hand and low.  So why move the heat off to that side?   Does the top cover help with air flow across the head?

donbj

Quote from: mike_belben on April 26, 2021, 09:37:53 PM
are the muffler gills closed up? is that pipe the only exhaust passage?
The muffler exhausr openings aren't restricted at all. I put my hand under the pipe end and couldn't really feel anything when it's running. Pipe isn't restricted either. May just be one of life's mysteries as to motive/intent here.

chet

Quote from: Real1shepherd on April 26, 2021, 10:12:51 PM
Quote from: chet on April 26, 2021, 09:35:32 PM
Noodling happens mostly up inside the clutch cover.....not thinking this would help much for that.

Kevin
I do realize that  :D   Just throwing something out there that the inventor may have been thinking 
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

mike_belben

yeah im chalkin it up to some kinda wonky fail idea. 
Praise The Lord

leeroyjd

Maybe for an Alaskan mill ?

Spike60

If we don't get some rain around here, that would be a good way to start fires.

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Real1shepherd

Quote from: mike_belben on April 27, 2021, 02:40:01 PM
yeah im chalkin it up to some kinda wonky fail idea.
Good ideas...customizing...usually catch on if repeatable. Sometimes though, there's no real gain, except in your head.

I admit, I'm baffled by this one. I can usually see where someone is going with a mod, but this one escapes me.

Kevin

BradMarks

Used to own a couple 61's, may still have a powerhead somewhere. Always wore White-Ox cotton gloves. I remember on really cold wet days it felt awfully good to put my gloved hand on the muffler for a bit. Not too long as it got hot. Perhaps this is an adaptation of that?

Real1shepherd

That's the best theory yet.....a hand warmer for cold/wet weather conditions!

A poor man's version of heated wrap handles......

Kevin

mike_belben

Maybe its to keep the coi pond warm on those frigid february nights.  

The hood on those fits really really tight to the muffler and the front edge often melts on white hoods.  Obviously someone felt they had a heat issue.  Probably just lean.  

The tube may well be for gassing vermin.
Praise The Lord

DHansen

Use the saw a few times and see what affect the tube has.  Just might help shine some light on to this subject.   That tube is moving exhaust gas to a new location, but why and how effective is it?

BradMarks

My experience says the front edge of the "hood" always melts

DHansen

Have you cut with this saw yet to see what affects the pipe has? 

donbj

Quote from: DHansen on May 15, 2021, 08:29:22 AM
Have you cut with this saw yet to see what affects the pipe has?
Haven't done anything with it since the discussion here. Got real busy with other things and haven't had time for much of the fun stuff >:(
Oh well everything in its season! My neighbour saw this on an auction site and said he thought of me when he saw it and put a bid in and got it. $20. Packed it around for two months in the back of his truck as he worked out of province and gave it to me when he came home. Very cool machine!  No clue whether it ran or not or if it even turned over. We put it on the benched and checked for spark, nice hot blue. Decent compression. Hey lets put some fuel down the carb bore and crank. Darn thing fired up!  Fuel lines are rotted off and it looked like it has been sitting in a barn for 50 years. But it all works. Gotta find a blade for it as this one is broke but should be able to find one. Cool late 50's Wright Saw reciprocating saw.

Thank You Sponsors!