iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Richmond Expo 2021

Started by DR_Buck, May 01, 2021, 08:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

Apparently the Richmond Expo 2021 is a go for this year.   I got a message from Dan Shade about it and went digging and confirmed its a go.   This is only about an hour and 15 minutes from my place so as usual I will be attending.    

A quick look at the exhibitors maps as of 1 May, so far it looks like Baker is the only sawmill company registered.      I'm wondering if Woodmizer or any others are going to make it.    With Woodmizers backlog in orders and new management staff I wouldn't be surprised if they are a no show.    I hope I'm wrong.

Attendee registration is here:   Expo Richmond 2021 (prereg.net)

EXPO RICHMOND
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Brian_Rhoad

According to the Woodmizer website they won't be at any shows until August.

Wallys World

My wife and I are planning on going. Vendor attendence may be light. I looked at the vendor layout list and there are a lot of empty spaces.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

VB-Milling

I had intended on going on Saturday, and I've never been before.  I didn't browse the vendor list.  If its that light, I might be reconsidering.  Its just shy of a 2hr ride for me.
HM126

Southside

If Yoders is there with the doughnut truck then it would be worth the ride from Venice Beach.   ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

VB-Milling

Do vendors typically bring enough inventory for purchase on the spot or just for show?

If I'm going anyways, and I can save $ on shipping, it seems like a win win.

Yoders!  Now I'm hungry!
HM126

GAB

Quote from: VB-Milling on May 04, 2021, 12:23:17 PM
Do vendors typically bring enough inventory for purchase on the spot or just for show?

If I'm going anyways, and I can save $ on shipping, it seems like a win win.

Yoders!  Now I'm hungry!
I'd say it depends on what you are seeking.  Some items might be available only after the show ends.  If they do not have to haul it back to their home base you could get a better deal.  Cash has an added incentive on some vendors.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

btulloh

Usually Husqvarna has specials on things like ppe and chains and such. Stihl doesn't seem very enthusiastic about selling stuff and just refer you to their dealers. All bets are off this year though. Just good to see shows are back on, even if they are somewhat limited. 
HM126

customsawyer

When I click on the link it don't go anywhere. Probably me but what are the dates of the show?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

VB-Milling

Quote from: customsawyer on May 05, 2021, 07:00:14 AM
When I click on the link it don't go anywhere. Probably me but what are the dates of the show?
21 and 22 May

https://www.exporichmond.com/
HM126

nativewolf

Good on stihl for supporting the dealers.  I had hoped they would just wait til next year or late fall.  This event was critical for the funding of the organization and for the convention area.  
Liking Walnut

Cedarman

Will be there Friday.  There is always something to learn and people to meet at these shows.
Go with an open mind.  Look at all the stuff possible and see how you can adapt it to make your own business more efficient.  One machine I bought 5 or 6 years ago cut employees needed from 4 to 1 and double production.  8 fold improvement.  You never know what you will see until you see it.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

DR_Buck

I'm on track to be there Friday.   Probably arrive around noon as I have to drop off some equipment on the way there.  I hope to meet up with the Cedarman crew and any other FF members that make it.     I'll even wear my Forestry Forum hat.    ;D  

VB-Milling

I was all set to go, but a few things have come up both Friday and Saturday.

Would like to be able to meet some FF members next year and hopefully COVID19 will be a distant memory and there will be more vendor participation.
HM126

DR_Buck

Quote from: VB-Milling on May 20, 2021, 09:17:38 AM

Would like to be able to meet some FF members next year and hopefully COVID19 will be a distance memory and there will be more vendor participation.
There won't be one next year.  The Richmond Expo is every other year.

VB-Milling

Quote from: DR_Buck on May 20, 2021, 03:00:41 PM
Quote from: VB-Milling on May 20, 2021, 09:17:38 AM

Would like to be able to meet some FF members next year and hopefully COVID19 will be a distance memory and there will be more vendor participation.
There won't be one next year.  The Richmond Expo is every other year.
Oh bummer....well then hopefully COVID19 will be a really distant memory and I'll be a halfway descent sawyer by then  :D
HM126

red

The Show was always on the Even number years until last year was cancelled 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Cedarman

Just got back from Richmond.  As usual, always learn a lot.  Some new equipment. Saw a skid steer with forks and a buck saw for about 6 grand.For the forks, not the skid steer too. Oh, the possibilities for that thing.
Number of vendors were down, but quality of those there was good.  Great opportunity to hear what is really going on in the rest of the country.
Maybe 1 in 100 people wore a mask.  Was like Covid never existed, but plenty of hand sanitizer available. DR Buck and I got together and had a great time.  Even got to visit Texas Roadhouse Fri evening.
Learned why Tigercat bought up the biochar business.
Pallet people are price makers now rather than price takers as they have been for years.
Looks like I will have to go to the Paul Bunyon show as I missed one vendor that has some neat stuff that I somehow missed.

Dan_Shade

Sorry I missed this one,  hopefully I'll get back on track with the next one. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

nativewolf

Quote from: Cedarman on May 22, 2021, 07:34:49 PM
Just got back from Richmond.  As usual, always learn a lot.  Some new equipment. Saw a skid steer with forks and a buck saw for about 6 grand.For the forks, not the skid steer too. Oh, the possibilities for that thing.
Number of vendors were down, but quality of those there was good.  Great opportunity to hear what is really going on in the rest of the country.
Maybe 1 in 100 people wore a mask.  Was like Covid never existed, but plenty of hand sanitizer available. DR Buck and I got together and had a great time.  Even got to visit Texas Roadhouse Fri evening.
Learned why Tigercat bought up the biochar business.
Pallet people are price makers now rather than price takers as they have been for years.
Looks like I will have to go to the Paul Bunyon show as I missed one vendor that has some neat stuff that I somehow missed.
I'll bite...why did tigercat get into biochar, to be clear I did not know that they had.  I've looked at it; @Southside and I chatted about it briefly at some point.  I think it could be good for some folks but sort of surprised tigercat is there.
Liking Walnut

customsawyer

Well I was there and I didn't see any of y'all. Sure wish I had.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Cedarman

The biochar system needed to be redone because it worked well with wood like limbs logs etc that had high moisture. it did not hold up long term when burning construction waste that was low moisture. Burning construction waste into biochar is the demand driving it now. Got too hot for the container. More R&D needed to be done and that takes big bucks. Tigercat has one out in Oregon or near there that I read a few months ago.

Customsawyer,  DR and I heard you were roaming around, but we didn't see you either.

DR_Buck

Quote from: customsawyer on May 24, 2021, 06:28:21 AM
Well I was there and I didn't see any of y'all. Sure wish I had.
Were you there on Friday?    Other than Cedarman I only saw 2 other people I knew, and neither of them were you.    Were you wearing "Jake's"  hat?   :D
"     

customsawyer

www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!