iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Chainsaw Time

Started by crocboy25, May 10, 2021, 01:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crocboy25

Hey Guys,
I burned up my Stihl 460 chainsaw last week. Not sure how... mechanic says bad gas? Anyways.... Time for a new one. I am looking for advice on what would be a nice saw that can handle 3 foot max tree size diameter type stuff. The saw will be for part time use as I sell firewood as a sideline business. I have heard Makita makes a good saw. Any advice guys?
Thanks

zippski

The Makita / Dolmar EA7900 is a heck of a nice professional saw and every bit the equivalent of your MS460 (and I am Stihl guy).  The EA7300 is only slightly less robust.

My son-in-law has one and it screams.  One downside is that it comes from the factory with.058 bar/chain from the factory, so there is less out there available in the aftermarket chain market compared to the standard .050 stuff.  Easy enough issue to fix by buying an aftermarket bar. 

It's cheaper than Stihl right now, too.  $920.00 at Home Depot, for example (where my s-i-l bought his).  Yes, you can buy these at HD!  Not much in the way of service but a no-questions asked return policy if you don't like the saw.  I am sure there are better on-line deals around if you look.  I liked his saw so much I bought my son an EA6100.

2Stroke Chain Saws | Outdoor Power Equipment | Makita (makitatools.com)

Leigh
zippski
Leigh
zippski

johnsayen

Quote from: crocboy25 on May 10, 2021, 01:18:23 PM
Hey Guys,
I burned up my Stihl 460 chainsaw last week. Not sure how... mechanic says bad gas? Anyways.... Time for a new one. I am looking for advice on what would be a nice saw that can handle 3 foot max tree size diameter type stuff. The saw will be for part time use as I sell firewood as a sideline business. I have heard Makita makes a good saw. Any advice guys?
Thanks
I have been shopping for a 60-80cc saw and have thus far mostly looked at Stihl and Husky pro line saws - it seems like the Sthil are a lot lighter than the competition. I saw a Husky372xp in action on Saturday but the stats suggest the 462 might be a slightly better saw. Not sure, still in shopping mode. Good luck.

sawguy21

Makita is a fine saw, a well respected brand. Unless you are experienced wrenching saws I strongly suggest going to a knowledgeable dealer. The difference in cost will be negligeable and he will set up and service it before it goes out the door and look after any concerns. The saw does not come from the factory with a bar and chain, tell the dealer what you want. .058 is popular with the Husky guys but .050 will work as well. The Makita and Husky have the same bar mount pattern.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

crocboy25

I am thinking of dropping down a level or so... Don't think I wanna go another $1000 on a saw right now. I paid like $1400 for my 460 about 13 years ago.

lxskllr

You could take a look at echo. Their biggest and most expensive saw is $860. Hit a sale event, and it'll be cheaper. I haven't used their big saws, but I've been super happy with the two smaller ones I got. I typically stick with Stihl for my big saws, but if I were on a tight budget, it's almost 100% certainty I'd buy an echo.

Regarding Makita... I believe Spike said they were getting out of the gas saw business. That might mean you could find one on special. It'll certainly mean parts will be a diminishing commodity in the coming years.

Real1shepherd

Bailey's has sold a LOT of Makita saws over the yrs. I suspect they will stock parts for them as long as anyone can. They also sold parts to mod them like to the next size etc. Not to promote Bailey's as I'm done with them....but making the point that they could become a parts source for you if you decide on Makita.

Kevin

tomalophicon

The Makitas are excellent saws.
Keep in mind before you purchase that they are formally withdrawing from selling petrol saws next year. Not sure how that will pan out for parts and service, etc.
Tom.

johnsayen

Quote from: crocboy25 on May 10, 2021, 03:26:17 PM
I am thinking of dropping down a level or so... Don't think I wanna go another $1000 on a saw right now. I paid like $1400 for my 460 about 13 years ago.
that makes sense - you might want to check out the Stihl ms400c - it's in the mid $800s and is 67cc. I'm not a Stihl-only guy, I mentioned it in case you weren't aware of it. Good luck with your saw hunt, the research is so much fun!

Spike60

The parts situation when a brand exits the market can get complicated. Some Makita dealers may not choose to continue with the brand when it goes all electric. If you don't have an account, you can't order parts. You can't rely on Makita to support these saws beyond 7 years, which I think they would be legally obligated to do. Then it all comes down to using up whatever parts are in the field,. Only a handful of Makita/Dolmar dealers moved enough saws to have a healthy parts stock of their own, so "dealer stock" will be limited in most cases. I'm seeig this with some Jonsered stuff, and we were a good size and long term Jonny dealer. Some jonsered specific parts are already NLA on saws that aren't really that far back. 2156/2159 starter assemliies and 2171 cylinder covers to name just a couple. Internally, we can keep them going a long while with Husky parts, but no other brand has a family connection like that. 

This is all stuff that you can live with if you already run these saws. But unless you are an "enthusiast" type who wants to grab one before they go away, I don't know that it makes sense to buy one at the end of the run.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

crocboy25

Yeah I didn't know about Makita getting away from gas saws. I don't want to go that route. I would like to stay with Stihl but just cant spend another grand on a saw.  I may check out that MS400 as mentioned above. I really don't need a Massive saw but I do need one that can handle a 36 inch trunk when needed.  I have heard good things about Huskavarna too... may go that route.

thanks for all of the advice guys....

Iwawoodwork

I have 2 Echo 690's and a little 370  all have been good saws. The 690's handle a 36" bar with 3/8 chisel bit chain just fine, I bought both used cheap and in need of rebuild, had new barrel and piston assembly on each and when they came back from the shop they really scream and cut, so as  don't leave out Echo saws.

Greenhighlander

I would stay away from a company getting out of that product.    
Other then that unless you are adept at doing work on the saw yourself , go with either Stihl , Husky , or Echo . Whoever has the best local dealer to you service wise is what saw I would go with .  
All that being said , supply to my local husky and stihl dealers is currently at an all time low .  To the point where all 3 have told me they simply can't get saws. A few ms 170/180 size saws , but that is about it .   The mid and large sized saws are not available from the manufactures. 

crocboy25

If I can get a big saw for a good price I will do it. I loved my ms460 25 inch bar Stihl. Wish I could go that route again. Would love to have that same power. If I can get that in an Echo or Husky for cheaper I am willing to do it.

weimedog

You were happy with the 460 right? Stihl I assume. Why not stick with the brand, there were some good deals on 461's here locally. That model may be at the end of it's life as a new saw but were solid and will have parts support for several years to some and will "feel" familiar as they still have an antivib in the same class as the 460's vs. the new three point spring ones. And the new stuff like 462's are right in your power curve as well. Makita's "Dolmar" based saws were pretty good I guess, the 7900 series had a following. Not sure how long they will be in the gas saw business, so given the choice stay with the brand you like. 
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

crocboy25

Its just too expensive to buy another 460-2 model for me this time. I can't afford another $1100-$1400 saw right now. I wish I could though...

Daburner87

I just took down a 42" diameter white oak with an 18" Echo CS 400.  I needed it down and used what I had, but I felt dumb doing it.  I know how to fell a tree, but it was a bit sketchy.  Looking back I should have used chalk or something to mark lines to follow.  I just eye balled it and my cuts were off a bit.
HM130Max Woodlander XL

ehp

7900 is a great saw and uses the same bar and chain as a husky so no problem getting that , if a stihl 462 is to much money then look hard at the ms 400 , it should be right in your price range , as far as how that saw runs and feels in your hands , the ms 400 is about as nice as it gets . 

crocboy25

The 400 is what I am leaning towards now.  The price seems good too.

welderskelter

For three ft. stuff I wouldnt own anything but an 066. I am weak and dont want to be there all day. And really they dont weigh anymore hardly than a smaller saw. Sure I have some other saws but only use them when I get the 066 stuck or something.

sawguy21

If you are packing an 066 all day you ain't weak! :D Running a 36" bar? Why not a smaller saw with a 20" and work from both sides? A lot of loggers working steep slopes and thick underbrush learned to do that.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

welderskelter

Sawguy, at my age I cant run one all day I really am weak tho. Chemo does that but its been working. Thanks be to God. But If you keep her sharp its so nice to run for a short stretch.

crocboy25

how much do the .066 costs?

welderskelter

Not sure on cost. Mine is about 15 years old now, I gave 750 new. Been a heck of a nice saw for me. You may be able to pick one up on ebay for about half price. Dont know. Have to check with your local dealer on that one.

Tacotodd

Stihl quit production of an 066 in about 2000. Then went to MS660, on to MS661.

At least, that's MY understanding  ::)
Trying harder everyday.

welderskelter

welderskelter

My neighbor has an 066 flat top that outruns mine all the time. And I have a muffler for a flat top that has more holes. If I ever find one of them I will never let her die.

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

crocboy25

I ended up getting an Echo at a dealer here in town.... a 680 or so I believe?

thanks all guys!

Thank You Sponsors!