iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

272xp Head scratcher?

Started by Sprinter, May 28, 2021, 12:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprinter

Got a 272xp in yesterday. It shows serial  #1161215 on a black tag. I have no idea of what year that might be.
The complaint was it wouldn't idle. Plus it had been sitting in the garage for a few years.
Last nite, I checked the spark and found none. Pulled ground (kill) wire from the coil, no joy.
Checked coil gap clearance and found .003", should have been .012"
So I ordered a new coil and now I wait. Maybe opened a can of worms, we will see.
Don't know how this could have affected idling. As I couldn't get it started, I couldn't verify he idle issue.
Could the tight coil gap lead to a failure? Any insight into this would be appreciated. Thanks,    Fred

sablatnic

Could be 1991 week 16.
They had a tendency to get leaky crankshaft seals but could be needle valve too.

Sprinter

Thanks for the tip. However my info shows they were introduced in 1993. Maybe different in Europe than here in Canada.

HolmenTree

If your serial number is 1161215 then it would be a 1,215th unit on the 16th week production run of 1991.
I used to believe my Canadian 1993  272XP I had was the first year model, from getting USA info about them.
Canada got the 272 a year or 2 earlier, the same time introduced in Europe.
During 1989, 1990-'91 the 71cc Stihl 044 in Canada and Europe was putting alot of competition pressure on Husqvarna at the time to introduce a 71 cc saw. All Husqvarna had was a 268XP which they ended up putting a big bore P/C on.
Only until the late mid 1990s did they introduce the 371XP the forerunner of the superior 372XP.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Sprinter

Thanks HolmanTree. Are you another SawTroll?  :snowball:

Real1shepherd

Uhh...'no', Willard actually uses his saws.8)

To the OP....pull the muffler and LOOK at what's in there.

Kevin

Sprinter

Shep,
Thanks for your input. I pulled the muffler and all is well. No sign of scoring.
All nice and shiny with an oily sheen. I was pleasantly surprised for a 30 year old saw.
Don't think it's ever been opened up. When he had had enough
of the idling issue he shoved it in the corner and bought  a 562.
Fred

Sprinter

So I got the new coil and got it fired up. He was right, it wouldn't idle.
Did the carb cleaner trick and found it sucking air at the intake block/cylinder junction.
Cut a new gasket and it now idles but it has a few other issues to correct now.
It's been a hard 30 years, broken fins, worn-out starter & who knows what else.
It's gonna' be a project. Hope I can find parts.
Fred

Thank You Sponsors!