The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Composting toilet  (Read 2979 times)

Offline trimguy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Composting toilet
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2021, 06:39:26 PM »
Well Doc, I for one pee outside , except the middle of the night. During the day Im not going inside to do it. In the evening sometimes I will hear you walked past the bathroom to go outside and pee . Just doing my part.😁

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2021, 07:34:26 PM »
Heck, Im saving the planet and didnt even realize it!  I need a sticker to put on my 14mpg Ram  5.7 that says I pee outside so I can just point to it when I get the dirty looks from a hybrid owner when hes filling up with his 13 pints of gas. 

Offline breederman

• Senior Member x2
  • getting by the best way I know how
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2021, 08:49:04 PM »
In the evening sometimes I will hear you walked past the bathroom to go outside and pee . Just doing my part.😁 

😂🤣me too
Together we got this !

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2021, 08:20:04 AM »
For the record: I take a whizz in my gravel driveway most everyday, several times in fact. Three grand daughters this week crimps my style some but given they keep the downstairs bathroom busy I hold it until out of sight and don't have to wait. The moss outside my shop on the pond bank has orange spots where it gets doused. Maybe I deserve a medal from the tree huggers per Docs criteria?

When I got married in January 1971, the first spring project at our KS cabin on the Kaw River was that I built an inside shower and commode room onto a newly installed septic system there for my bride. 
 Second project was not to build a composting toilet (as this thread discusses) but rather to de-construct the one I'd been using for 7-8 years.  :D
I used it for tool storage on one end and under the floor I found a bunch of stuff under the floor the pack rats had stolen-mostly plumbing hardware, fastners, etc..
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2021, 08:50:31 AM »
I'm not sure if lime should play a part in your composters or not but the out-house at our cabin functions as a compost toilet. Cabin is on state land so needed a sealed tank, we formed and poured a concrete underground tank for the outhouse 4'x4' x 3' deep with 6" walls so inside is 3x3x3, whenever we "dump" in there we give a light dusting of lime, looks like powdered sugar, no odor. We use this on occasional weekends and for a solid week or longer during hunting season but then there are periods of no use and the guys don't go in to pee. We cleaned it out after over 10 years of use by using the manual post hole diggers that work sort of like pliers, it was dry and almost like dirt, took 10 5 gal buckets worth out which I spread on the corn stubble field that winter.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline Joe Hillmann

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2021, 10:20:45 PM »
I attended a woods walk once that had one of those composting toilets located in a separate enclosed room of a small building. You know, much like a regular bathroom. It definitely had no vent. You knew where it was the minute you opened the door. :o :D

The men present opted to use the woods. The women I think opted to tough it out. :laugh:

Best make plans to incorporate a VENT!!!!!
That toilet wasn't being used correctly.  If slightly damp sawdust is used as cover material their is almost no smell.  If the chamber the bucket is in is vented there is less smell than a conventional toilet.
The vent can be a pipe through the roof.  A better vent is a black pipe running up the south side of the building.  When the sun shines on it it warms up and warm air rises and sucks air out of the chamber.
Another vent is a low power PC fan connected to a small solar panel or possibly a solar panel and battery.

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2021, 07:46:06 AM »
A conventional toilet flushes constantly into a sewer system far away-what's there to make much smell? My septic system has a typical large concrete box with left behind cesspool to smell some, but not noticeable as vents 30' in the air. 
I always used lime on my outhouse poop.

Outdoor flushes:
We used to fish this creek (called a "crick" in KS :D and a few other places like OH) that was a feeder stream into Mill Creek, near Paxico, KS and when we were not catching red ear sunfish, pumpkin seeds and small bass we had a tree, low across the water that flushed pretty well. My aunt in Burlingame, KS once had an outhouse built over the crick behind the house with the holes looking down into Dragoon Crick. 
I may get some flak over saying this but I've dumped my past porta-potty in a woods area thats far away from humans.  

Offline Joe Hillmann

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2021, 02:08:48 PM »
A conventional toilet flushes constantly into a sewer system far away-what's there to make much smell? My septic system has a typical large concrete box with left behind cesspool to smell some, but not noticeable as vents 30' in the air.

When you use a normal bathroom the vent tends to be in the ceiling.  So any smell from before you flush fills the room and eventually gets sucked out through the vent.
With a vented compost toilet.  Any smell gets sucked out before it can get into the room.  So a vented composting toilet  smells less than a flush toilet.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2021, 09:56:47 PM »
   Sorry to be late commenting on several of these but @btulloh wins the award for the best suggestion of saving the planet. :D

I know lime was thrown in outhouses and such but I would think it would stop or at least interfere with the composting process. I am still thinking odor means not enough sawdust. Someone mentioned adding Rid-ex and I don't see where it could hurt. 

My housemate ran the waste treatment plant on a project we were on in Saudi Arabia and he dosed the waste heavily with chorine as soon as it was received and there was never any odor at the plant. He kept plenty of air added and kept the slurry stirred and the bacteria broke down the waste quickly.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2021, 07:46:26 AM »
Underneath that layer of lime is lots of microbes doing their thing? 
I did a short search session online to see if there was a composting toilet I could consider for my cabin-I saw none I liked. Most of what comes up is somebody selling a plywood box with a bucket in it or a very expensive more sophisticated design I cannot afford. 

I'm open to ideas more attractive than my tallish porta-potty. Cabin water will be hauled in, but I thought about a gutter water cistern which is quite common near me, but has a larger expense to it. 
The version in this thread looks like the poop will be more stinky and harder to get rid of than my factory made porta-potty. 

Offline snobdds

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2021, 06:20:45 PM »
At my cabin, we use something called Bokashi.  You just sprinkle it on and a week later the poo is gone. 

All natural.  It's just super bacteria that feasts on Poo.  Never a smell. 

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2021, 07:25:02 PM »
Kantuckid,

The version in this thread looks like the poop will be more stinky and harder to get rid of than my factory made porta-potty. 

If this is true since the plastic tote comes with a lid she can just replace it when full, put the lid on and drop it off at the next appropriate political meeting in her area. ;D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2021, 07:39:49 AM »
Bokashi on Amazon is more expensive than I'll ever do! We compost our kitchen & garden waste using mother natures little friends and out away, well from the house. Possums munch on some of it. 

Offline farmfromkansas

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2021, 08:15:38 AM »
The lime's purpose is to keep the PH at the proper level.  
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2021, 08:38:26 AM »
snobdds what sort of potty are you using at your cabin? 

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2021, 08:43:50 AM »
  Then why does the road department put lime on roadklill? 
Howard Green

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2021, 09:48:20 AM »
From Google:

It is used to capture the putrid scents of decaying flesh. Today lime is still used at mass grave sites to capture the scent of decay and keep soil pH high. Low pH soil is an indicator for a mass grave as the decomposition products are acidic and lower the soil pH.

In the Army we covered any possible waste with lime before leaving a location.  If we had no lime we used flour from the mess hall.  Looked the same and passed inspection.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline snobdds

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2021, 10:36:26 AM »
Bokashi on Amazon is more expensive than I'll ever do! We compost our kitchen & garden waste using mother natures little friends and out away, well from the house. Possums munch on some of it.

It's like 14.00 for a bag that lasts all summer. I think that is cheap, but I guess it's all relative. 

snobdds what sort of potty are you using at your cabin?

Just using a outhouse with a 5 foot hole dug in the bottom.  I guess some might call it a pit toilet. 

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2021, 11:19:08 AM »
Lynn,

That comment about the flour caused a flashback to one time when we were getting ready for an IG inspection and the DIs were going crazy about the white film in the plastic stair treads and were never satisfied with our cleaning no matter how much elbow grease we applied. Finally we all grabbed our black shoe polish and brushes and passed inspection in short order. The DI was scratching his head when he came back for another reinspection and found it  all nice and spiffy. Just another dumb thing to get by in the military. Maybe it was just part of the training.
Howard Green

Offline farmfromkansas

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2021, 10:45:28 PM »
Powdered Limestone is used to counter the affect of using fertilizer on farms, Lime lowers the PH after the fertilizer raises the PH level.  Makes your crops grow better if the PH is right. Animal waste raises PH as well as fertilizer.  I use a lot of animal waste, as after feeding cows all winter have a huge pile.  I compost the stuff, it shrinks to a more manageable amount, then use my spreader to put it on the poor growing areas of the farm.  Composting causes a lot of seeds in the manure to heat and lose their germination. My wife's garden is 100% compost. She is using old cattle watering tanks for container gardens. At first I thought her plants would burn up from too much fertilizer, but last year it did fine.  She waters often.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
composting toilet

Started by Qweaver on Alternative methods and solutions

3 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 04:50:08 PM
by MFinity
xx
Composting Toilet

Started by boo 84 on Alternative methods and solutions

14 Replies
Last post January 10, 2016, 09:19:49 PM
by r.man