iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hemlock for firewood?

Started by cutterboy, June 07, 2021, 11:31:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

Hi all. I'm sawing some hemlock logs for a customer and I'm thinking of cutting up the slabs for firewood to burn in my woodstove. I've never burned hemlock before. Does anyone have any experience burning it?
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Runningalucas

We burn Western Hemlock.  It does okay; the wood stove piping, never has too much creosote build up in it.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Glenn

I cut hemlock for firewood whenever i come across a damaged one and burn it without any issues mixed in with my regular firewood.

Bruno of NH

I put up some hemlock slab wood every year.
Use it in the fall and spring.
Sometimes in the winter to boost a lazy fire.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ianab

It will burn OK. 

BTUs are mostly proportional to weight, so lighter softwoods have less heat in them per cord than denser hardwoods, but similar per pound. 

Creosote buildup is mostly due to wet wood or having a fire dampened down too much and making excess smoke. DRY softwoods burn just fine, but you will need more volume for the same heat output. 

So while it's not "premium" firewood, if you are standing there looking at a pile of Hemlock slabs, may was well lop them to size and throw them in the shed to dry. Dries faster than hardwoods, so wood cut in the Summer will be good to burn after 6 months. Good mixed in with the denser wood, or to get a nice hot fire going quickly before adding the slower burning hardwood.  
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

Hemlock will coal down some. Not like white pine, when the wood is gone so is the heat. I burned it in an asley a few winters.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodroe

Hemlock is good , get it dry and burn it, makes heat.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

cutterboy

Thank you everybody for your replies. They have all been positive so I guess it's a go on the hemlock slabs.

Spike60

Had a few hemlock logs left over from one of those GTG's we used to have here at the store. Nobody wanted it. Couldn't just leave it in the parking lot, so i took it home. Had no experience with it and only planned on burning it outside in the firepit, but was impressed with how quick it dried. Tried some in the woodstove and it burned fine, so I brought it all back up to the woodshed and used it all in the stove. Probably had a 1/2 cord of it. No problems at all. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

SwampDonkey

I burn anything. Can't be worst than balsam fir or spruce, which I've burned a lot of. I doubt you'll be cold. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sauna freak

I do recall it having a tendency to pop and toss coals more than most other woods.  Been a long time since I was in Northern WI.  Burnt some known hemlock that did that.  We also used to camp on the Turtle Flambeau reservoir and burn lots of driftwood.  You could always tell when some hemlock made the fire ring.  Be careful to keep combustibles away from your stove door.
Sauna... like spa treatment, but for men

cutterboy

I finished up the hemlock slabs today and I've got a nice stack drying in the barn. The logs had been down a long time and were partly dry. These slabs will be ready to burn this winter.

Runningalucas

Quote from: cutterboy on June 16, 2021, 04:36:52 PM
I finished up the hemlock slabs today and I've got a nice stack drying in the barn. The logs had been down a long time and were partly dry. These slabs will be ready to burn this winter.

I like your 'firewood jig',  I've been wanting to do something similar.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Blue Noser

Knot free Eastern hemlock is some of the easiest splitting wood out there, great for making kindling.

As noted previously it does tend to "pop" and "spit" a lot. Not an issue in an OWB or an enclosed furnace but I've heard people who use fireplaces talk about it in the past. 

Edvantage

Been burning hemlock every evening in my sauna. Makes a hot fast fire. If I'm lazy I just load the stove and light it with a propane weed burner. 180 degree sauna in an hour. 

Spike60

We gotta award you extra points for that cut-em-all-at-once rack you built. :)  Plus the super neat stacking job.

But neat or not, that's a fair amount of wood and it's cool that it's going to get used and not wasted.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

cutterboy

Thanks Spike for the kind words.

Two Trax

I have had an OWB for 17 years. I never cut Hemlock specifically to burn, but any slabs off the mill get cut up and used. As mentioned hemlock does not provide the btu's of good hardwoods but it makes heat. I generally use it at the beginning and end of the season and toss in a couple pieces of hardwood with it. It absolutely does not hold coals real long, thus the couple hardwoods. 
Livin the dream!

B.C.C. Lapp

Hemlock is not the best stove wood in the stack.   But, its a heck of a lot better than snowballs.
Burn it up.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Thank You Sponsors!