Sponsors:

Butcher block finish

Started by metalspinner, August 08, 2021, 03:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

Has anyone else discovered this finish?

I have a friend that swears by it and uses it as his "go to" finish for
Most things. 
I have used it once before on a very dark wood and really like how it went in and rubbed out. 
But this is my first try on maple. A little goes a long way! 

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

btulloh

Looks interesting. Where do it come from?
HM126

metalspinner

It's a German brand, but woodcraft has started carrying it. 

Here's a pic of the back of the can. 

btulloh

Thanks. I'll pick some up the next time I'm over near the local woodcraft. Looks like a real different formula. Worth a try. 

HM126

samandothers

Look forward to feedback.  Looking for something to try on some towel racks that can be applied after glue up.  Something water resistant that does not require sanding would seem to work well. 

scsmith42

I've been told that it is similar to Rubio Monocoat, but less expensive.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

VB-Milling

Quote from: metalspinner on August 08, 2021, 03:49:40 PM
Has anyone else discovered this finish?
I've been seeing this all over Youtube from the regular woodworking channels I follow.  Seems like really good stuff.
HM126

Larry

I haven't used the TopOil yet but I have used these similar Osmo finishes.  They do a good job.

I started using Livos maybe two years ago on turnings and wall art.  I recently started using them on my stools.  So far I think the best and easiest oil finish to apply on the market.  Its another one from Germany.

Only available from Livos USA

I digress a bit.  A lot of world class woodworkers used some really cheap finishes.  Sam Maloof comes quickly to mind.  Makes me wonder about the cost of some of these finishes.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

Aren't these oil and varnish mixes?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

WDH,
The Osmo oil I posted is a veggie based oil. 
After two coats, I really like how it handles. 
The owners of this countertop -I'm refinishing it for them- wanted something eco friendly and that they could touch up themselves. I believe this will work for them.  
Here is what I started with. At some point the maple was stained and a heavy, heavy topcoat was applied. Also, the sink cutout doesn't look right. Too much overhang. The third pic show the finish delaminating around the faucet. 

I didn't take any pics, but to remove the finish, I ripped the whole thing down into three pieces, then sent it all through the planer and glued it back together. I wanted to make sure to get under ANY contamination so there wouldn't be any adhesion issues. 

metalspinner

And after sanding...

Unfortunately, there are some water stains around the faucet holes that just would plane out. 

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

might try some wood bleach (oxalic acid) near the faucet.  this appear and sounds like the "hard wax oil" that @tule peak timber turned me on to.  great finish, and easier to reapply than a top coat finish.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!