iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Master Bedroom Floor Project

Started by firefighter ontheside, October 12, 2021, 03:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: doc henderson on October 24, 2021, 12:23:09 PM
quilts are nice in the bedroom!   :snowball:   :D :D :D
I have a feeling this one isn't gonna keep me very warm, but I will display it for all to see.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

So, I ordered my helical head from Holbren a while back.  After a week with no email, I decided to call Holbren and get an idea on when I would get the head.  It took 4 days for Holbren to finally answer the phone.  They did not respond to the message I left or the email I sent.  The said it will take 6 to 8 weeks to get my new Byrd head.
I understand things are all messed up right now, but still.  They could have let me know how long it would take and not just take my almost $400 without any correspondence.  I was really looking forward to using it for flooring, but I better have all my flooring done by then or I will be in the proverbial dog house.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

21incher

I have been trying  to get a Kubota Side by side since March.  They keep shutting  down the line due to shortages.  Now it's a shortage of steel tubing used for rollbars, suspension,  and bumpers that shut  the lines down again along with the  hydraulic  cylinder line. The supply  chain is broken and manufacturers take it for granted that customers will expect long wait times and don't  bother notifying them anymore.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

firefighter ontheside

Flooring project is progressing well.  I figure I'm about 3/4 done making flooring.  I need to start counting feet of each size of flooring that I make so I can have a better idea of when I have enough. 

I took some of it upstairs that I made today and laid it out in the bedroom to see how it looks.  I think it is gonna be amazing.  It occurs to me that I better order some finish this week if I want to have it when I'm ready.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

I ordered a 6" bosch orbital sander from Amazon to use for sanding the floor and it came the next day.  I couldn't believe that.  I ordered two boxes of sanding discs from Grizzly at the same time and they are arriving today.  Its like opposite world.  Everything else I order is taking weeks to get and now I get stuff in 1 and 2 days.  I ordered an 18" wide applicator to put down the finish.  I've never done that, so I hope that works out.  In the morning I'm going to pick up some water based finish for the floor.  2 gallons is supposed to be enough.  It's called Last n' Last Crystal Clear.  Not supposed to change the color at all.  Now I need to make the rest of the flooring so I can get going with this thing.  I'm not looking forward to moving all the furniture out and pulling the carpet.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

My kiln run was done a few days ago, so when I got home from work today I went in and brought out a bunch of q sawn walnut that I had in there.  A lot of it was not as flat as I would like, but there was plenty flat enough to make border boards for the bedroom.  I planed them down to 3/4 and then jointed and ripped to 4 1/2" wide.  On average they are half heart and half sap.  I think I will install them with the heart to the inside of the room.  Then there will be a square shaped area inside to fill with all of the flooring.  I really like the look of the q sawn walnut with sapwood.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Yeah these are gonna look mighty slick!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

Thanks guys.  I think I'm gonna screw these border boards down and plug.  Then the rest of the floor will be nailed as usual.  On the side where I start laying the floor I may route a tongue onto the border boards.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Tom King

When I flood floor finish on with a squeegee, I buy a cheap, one gallon plastic watering can, with a long spout, to pour it out ahead of the squeegee.  Most people cut in the edges with a brush.  I don't.

I'm assuming you're using the mostly round "squeegee" sold by flooring suppliers, that slides on the handle.  They make plastic, and metal tools that the squeegee slides onto.  Sometimes the squeegee is a little shorter than the part it slides onto.  That's why I bought the plastic one, so I could shorten it a little.

I push the finish right to the edge, and keep a roll of finish right off the end by angling the squeegee.  That's where the watering can comes in.  It allows you good control over the amount of stuff you keep in that roll.

It goes really fast.  It would probably take less than two minutes to put a coat on your floor, in that room.

If it's a room with a doorway into another room, that won't get finish, I tape down a couple of layers of 6 mil plastic to drag any excess finish out onto.

I'm never been satisfied washing out one of the squeegees.  I use a new one for each coat, and just toss them.

firefighter ontheside

Thanks for those tips, Tom.  I watched a video where they did the flooring like you describe.  They were using a watering can too.  Wasn't you was it?  I was told I should thin the first coat a bit to make it soak in good.  The watering can would be a good place to add water.  I imagine not more than 10%.  My hope is that I can get the floor finished in 2 days.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Tom King

I don't have any floor finishing videos.  I've never used the product you're using, so don't know about the thinning.  I've mostly used Bona stuff, but never thinned it.  I haven't done a floor since 2014 (I think), so I'm sure there's newer stuff out now.  I do a Lot of different things.

Which 6" sander did you get?  I have one Bosch 6" sander, and it's a Beast.  I forget the model number though.  I have used it on small areas of a floor.  I have to have knee pads, and a supplied air breathing system, even as good as the DC is with that sander, and mesh disks.

Tom King

Here's the kind of watering can I use.  I lay a line out the length of the floor, and push it over to one edge of the squeegee.  Those are a couple of Bona gallon jugs beside it, for size reference.  I think it came from the gardening section in Home Depot.

firefighter ontheside

I got the Bosch GET75-6N.  It's a 6" with hook and loop.  I ordered the discs from Grizzly.  I tested it out on a piece of elm and it seems like a beast.  It will come in handy when sanding table tops in the future too.  I will definitely wear a respirator when sanding and will also put a fan in the window and try to draw most of the dust outside.  Of course I will also have a shop vac attached to the sander.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Tom King

That's the same one I have, and don't remember using any of the others since I bought that one.  I use a Shop Vac with a yellow bag, and Mirka mesh disks.  It does a great job of getting the dust, but still leaves stuff in the air you don't want to breathe.

I have a beard, so a respirator doesn't do it for me.  I produce a lot of work, but didn't get to be 71, and in good shape, by not taking care of myself.

If you use the yellow bag, watch it so you don't overfill it.  They get to a critical point where it will blow a hole in the bag, and then you have to take the whole vac apart to clean it out, and that's not even worrying about what it blew out the exhaust.  If it's about half full, it's time to change it. Time your sanding sessions, so if you blow a bag, you know when to stop on the next ones.

firefighter ontheside

@Tom King what do you recommend for buffing after the first coat of finish?  Is there a buffer pad to put on the Bosch?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Tom King

Probably, but I have a 16" floor buffer, so I use that.  A quick pass with 320 would probably be okay.  The finish should have some sort of recommendation on the container.

firefighter ontheside

Hmm, I could bring home the floor buffer from the firehouse and use that.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Tom King

You may even be able to sand your floor with it, if it's milled really precisely.  I've used mine to sand a room before.  It's slower than that rental machine I linked earlier, but faster than a 6" sander.

You only need to use the coarsest sanding screen that you can find.  I'm pretty low on those, but think you can buy them individually off ebay.

kantuckid

Before I finished my great room floor of wideoak boards I called the Waterlox mfg.'s number and got a guy who said he'd had it on his own floor for over 25 years and still looked the same. Waterlox is pricey but it sure pops the colors on wood! I rolled mine on with a pan & a roller, maybe 2 or 3 coats. Wife uses Orange Glo for wood floors from Walmart-looks VG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My "feeder" is a right & left hand each still with 5 fingers, knock on wood! Works great making my 2x6 T&G as I can cahnge speeds at the knots, etc.. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

firefighter ontheside

Thanks Tom.  I'll look at the buffer tomorrow.  I'm not sure I can put anything on there except the buffer pads that are like scouring pads.  We have white and red ones I think.

Interesting on the Waterlox @kantuckid .  I'm using my left and right "feeders" to face joint, edge joint, rip to size and run thru the planer.  I figured I would give them a break on running the flooring thru the shaper.  I made walnut and american elm flooring yesterday.  Today I'm going to make some red elm flooring.  I can't wait to see what it looks like.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Tom King

You just lay the screens under the cleaning pads, and they stay in place.  That's all anyone uses.  Lay the screen on the floor, and roll the machine in place on top of it.

firefighter ontheside

Gotcha.  I'll check the size of our buffer and let ya know if I can use one of them.  I feel like our buffer is probably 16".  I just made some flooring boards out of red elm.  My planer has never protested as much as it did with that elm.  I even turned down the feed speed and it still protested.  I was worried about the shaper cutting tongues and that was not really any different than other woods.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!