iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Power meter

Started by bannerd, October 14, 2021, 07:27:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannerd

He all, trying to gauge what size generator I need and wondering if there is a meter I can run before our power company meter?  I want to get some metrics for a generator and also some supplemental options(solar).  Our power company runs an average so it's far from exact(More profit).

I found some hub kits on amazon... but the look pretty cheap (sense energy).  Open to ideas, Thanks!

firefighter ontheside

What do you have that's electric?  Furnace, oven, dryer, water heater?  If you don't have those, your generator needs will be much smaller.  I have a 17.5 kw generator and it will run everything but my electric furnace.  With all gas appliances, you probably don't need more than about 7 kw.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

YellowHammer

What do you estimate you need as far as current and voltage?  

The best way is to get a clamp on ammeter, rated for your input voltage.  Probably, you'd need one sized for HVAC use, because they can measure high currents.  Clamp it on one of your line service lines going into your breaker. panel, downstream of the power meter, and start up your equipment one by one and read the current going through the service line.

Power (Watts) = Current (amps) x Voltage.

Then take the actual measured maximum power requirement, multiply by 1.2 (generators have an 80% service factor)  and that is the minimum power your generator needs to provide.

These meters are invaluable, they will help you diagnose all kinds of electrical motor related problems.  Get a good one, you'll use it the rest of your life.  

You can then directly measure your requirements for each machine, all you machines combined, average needs, and most importantly the start up "inrush" or startup current, which spikes much higher than steady state and must be covered by your generator.

You can also estimate your requirements form reading the faceplates from each machine you use, it will have the current requirements.  However, the best way is to just measure it.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

bannerd

Looking to power LED lights, Well pump (220v @ 30amp/1hp) and a small propane boiler (radiant heat @ 230watt)

Texas Ranger

Get as big as you can afford, demand will grow.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!