iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another pavilion build?

Started by Jeff, October 22, 2021, 08:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Tammy and Lynda and I decided we want to put up a multi use pavilion here at the cabin that we can also use as under roof winter storage for the tractor mower and side by side. No one wants a building that blocks the views we have the field and wood edges, but something we could tarp the walls in for winter.  

The problem. This soil is horrible. Even on a hill there is no drainage you dig a post hole and you will hit clay and water within 2 or 3 feet depending on the season. Almost all clay.  You almost need to pretend you are on permafrost.  

I envision a floating pavilion. Perhaps even movable.  My problem is how do I build the base and attach posts? I'm thinking around 16 by 24.  6 posts so I can use 8 or 16 ft for top beams.  

.i have some tamarack, spruce and largetooth aspen to work with and about 1000 10" log screws.  We dont have money for concrete.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don P

Have you got cedar for posts? Buried in that wood footings will see no O2 so will last forever. If you don't get below frost or if it can grab the side of the post it'll heave. All stuff you know better than me I'm sure  :D.

Can't help much on the rest but Furby and I have been pm'ing sketches back and forth for a week or two, these were in my gallery.

snobdds

A post and beam building needs the racking strength that burying the posts creates.  You can get shear strength with knee bracing, but the racking strength has to come form the posts in the ground. 

If you want to keep it floating, I guess you could do like the guys that put up the temporary event tents.  They use guy-wires to support the uprights, angling off in a couple different directions.  

69bronco

16x24 might be a little large to be moveable. We did something similar using treated 6xs half buried for the foundation. Yes it will move a little with the frost, but if it's not (finished) inside I doubt the movement would be a problem. Some fabric on the floor and a layer of crushed stone.

Don P

I intend to put this one on a sill of treated 6x6's. I believe there is sufficient bracing to resist the lateral forces on it. It will need some ground screws attached to the sills for uplift.

Jeff

Now that is kinda what im thinking.  How do you fasten your upright ppsts to the sills?

Don P

There's a variety here;
https://www.strongtie.com/capsandbases_woodconnectors/category
but I was going to weld up something similar to the concealed post tie.

Bruno of NH

I built a floating one once.
I used ground screws to hold the 6x6 to the ground like Don says .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Nebraska

Would cement piers work?  Dig a post  hole and line with plastic or  pipe (big  pvc, corrigated poly culvert)  Stab some rebar down the hole.. stick a sump pump in the pipe to suck the water down 
pump dry. Then put a dryish mix of sackcrete in to take up the space. I don't know how fast the holes will fill up but I was able to pour concrete walk ways by the base of a retaining wall by my pond. By displacing water in the forms with  a dry ish mix . It has held up for seven or eight years now.  Wasn't sure it would work but it did.  If you dug out the clay mixture and sunk a piles of coarse rock  under the runners for the pavillion sort of like piers  corse rock won't heave like soil, at least what I have read on some cabin building sites.

Don P

Concrete cures just fine underwater as long as it isn't flowing, they have some mixes that allow them to pour in the river and it doesn't mix with the water and flow away, above my pay grade.

As far as a rubble trench, they work fine but everything is site specific. With a high water table, removing the muck and building a rubble pile, where is the water going to migrate to? It becomes a swimming pool full of loose rock. Full time sump pumps. For this floating probably isn't a bad thing.

Is there inspections to deal with?

Jeff

QuoteIs there inspections to deal with?

Not as far as I'm concerned. Shhh!

Don P

Works for me  :D
If possible keep it under the size of their "accessory building" exemption.

If you look at the layout of that last building I posted it has sort of large overhangs, but the footprint fits within our accessory exemption.

Thank You Sponsors!