iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whata ya do in a blizzard?

Started by Larry, January 16, 2022, 10:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Go to the shop!  Got almost 3" of the white stuff dumped on us yesterday and temperature never got out of the 30's!

Fitting tapered tenons into a stool seat.

Drilling legs for the stretchers.

Next up is more stools but these are special.....river stools. :D

Friend came out this morning and I helped her start on a quarter sawn turned Beads of Courage box.

Beads of Courage is a program to help children in the hospital with life threatening dieases.  We build boxes for the kids to store there beads. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

Lovely figure in that quartered stuff. Love your high tech drill. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Have not heard of Beads of Courage.
Good that you are helping.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

Quote from: thecfarm on January 17, 2022, 05:41:25 AM
Have not heard of Beads of Courage.
Good that you are helping.
I had not heard of this program.  It should help to bring smiles to the faces of the recipients. Good job!

RPF2509

Andries

We've got clear weather again after about six inches of dry powdery snow.
The wind is picking up to just below blizzard status, so the Trans Canada will probably get locked down tonight. Nobody wants to rescue 18 wheelers in the ditch tonight!

The forecast for the foreseeable is -35, clear and windy. 
Mama Nature has spoken, and experience has shown that it's painful when you get sassy with her.
Sounds like shop-time to me.  :) So, how's my firewood? 

Have you ever hesitated when putting a nice chunk of hardwood into the stove?
I found this inside a nice chunk of ash firewood.

The wood hoarder in me couldn't part with it.

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

That led to me digging in the snow for more ash.
Found a nice chunk and re-sawed some book-matched pieces. They've been edge glued and, so far, not much warping, twisting cupping or other deviant behaviour!
Amazed I am.

Now, there are going to be pithy comments about 'wandering crotch wood' or 'beautiful ash' . . . but I don't have @Old Greenhorn or @Magic Man skills at rebbutal. ;) :D
So, I'll grin and enjoy the banter!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

So, I live in Canada, right?
Out in the Prairies, which looks like your average scene from the movie, 'Dr Zhivago'.
So, I've got a few days to have a thought, as Jake likes to say.
"Hmmmm, if that ash looked THAT good, what else have we got out there in the firewood?" (that's my deep thought, not @Custom Sawyer)
So here's a funky looking reddish lump of firewood that looks like cherry. . .   hmmmmm, Schubert cherry from a tree that my daughter removed because a huge infestation of blacknot. She's missed the tree a lot this summer for it the shade it gave during a long hot summer (yes, we get those too!)
So, lets throw it onto the bandsaw. 
My youngest daughter gave me a ripping guide for Christmas. Have I got great kids or what?

I even read the instructions and still had all my fingers after ripping these pieces out of the firewood.

Whoo, hooo! It's amateur night, and Im doing alright!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

T sum up, I now have all the ingredients for a FF soap opera: a blizzard, some chunks of cherry and a warm shop. The scotch stays in the bottle until the last power tool is shut offf.   :D
A small keep-sake box comes to mind.
How hard could be? . . even for a klutz like me? four sides and a few other sides, or top, or whatever, . . .  right? Finger joints. She likes those, ok, here we go!

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

doc henderson

yes, all that figure does make your ash look big!   :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Andries

Rough fit, nothin' a bit of sanding won't fix, right?

There we go, ok for the sides and bottom, now what to do for the top?
As always, I need a little more ash. ;) Who amongst us doesn't hey?
How 'bout like this?

Well, the blizzard is still sending snow flying through the air.
I've got plenty of firewood left . . . . hopefully.
And, the OP's; @Larry  work, is inspirational - if the winter lasts long enough, my skills may come close to his.
It'll take a DanG long winter though. 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

Quote from: doc henderson on January 18, 2022, 04:59:25 PMyes, all that figure does make your ash look big!   :D :D :D
I might hafta start wearing more Johnny Cash clothes, because black can be so slimming. Apparently.  :o
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Larry

RPF, yes quarter sawn sycamore.  That's the only way I saw sycamore as the boards are less likely to twist.  Hard to sell the lumber but if I build something it goes quick.

Andries, it looks like Arkansas blizzards are slightly different than the blizzards you have up north. :D :D :D  I wouldn't leave your shop until summer, maybe sometime in July right? ;D  Good job on the boxes!
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

alan gage

A lot of very nice work in this thread. It's quite cold and windy here on the prairies with about a foot of snow on the ground but I've been having a hard time making myself go out to the shop in the evenings. I have some quarter sawn white oak that needs to be turned into window trim. Maybe tonight. 

As for Arkansas blizzards:
Technically blizzards have a definition, which is something like:
Sustained winds or frequent gusts over 35mph
Heavy snowfall reducing visibility to under 1/4 mile
And lasting for at least 3 hours

If I remember correctly there used to be a requirement that the temperature had to be below a certain level but that meant many people on the east coast felt left out so they lifted that 'rule'.

Blizzard fun fact: Supposedly the word 'blizzard' originated in my little home town of Estherville, Iowa, or at least it's the first known usage of the word. No one really seems to know where it came from. 

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

WDH

Way down here, it is something that you order at the Dairy Queen.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rjwoelk

Nice book match, looking good, we had less then 150 ft visibility yesterday, wind 40 to 50 mph. Half the night till latter morning. Went from -3 degrees of frozen to -31 in 24 hrs. When you get into your truck and the seat feels like a rock, its too cold to work outside.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Andries

Quote from: WDH on January 19, 2022, 10:59:10 PMWay down here, it is something that you order at the Dairy Queen.  
A buddy in Oakbank went on his Skidoo Blizzard to get a Blizzard at the DQ.
You guys in Georgia @WDH have got this thing figured out!

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

caveman

Nice work Andries.  I think that I would go into hibernation if presented with conditions like that.
Caveman

thecfarm

The only flat area around here like that is a lake or a river.
Snowmobiles at a gas pump is a common sight. 
Except for this year. But I am sure the snow is coming.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

customsawyer

Andries that second picture you posted sent a chill up my spine. I can remember having to feed livestock in those conditions. You can have them.
The projects look great though gentlemen.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

It's 36° here which as far as I am concerned is a blizzard.  Jake, I too vividly remember feeding da cows when it was cold, wet, and sloppy.  Not snow, but still miserable.

PatD assigned this job to me today.  fire_smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

Usually call up friend Jack Daniels and sit by the fire.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Andries

My call up friend is usually Johnny Walker.
Same idea . . 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

metalspinner

I've been feeling sympathetic to y'all blizzardry , so I made stuff, too.

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Larry

Wow, your in production.  I like the ones with the moon....or is it the sun? :D

customsawyer

My eyes crossed just looking at those and trying to follow the lines. Nice work.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

doc henderson

how thick are they and do you do the edge on a shaper?  can you give any detail on the design?   i.e. does the pattern repeat, and do you use cutoff from one board, on the next?  it looks tight.  do you cut curves on a band saw?  otherwise, no questions.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

metalspinner

It's all bandsaw cut. Sharp blade, steady tempo and smooth feed. 
The stack cutting process keeps generating the next board. Trying to keep the proper mountain perspective gets tricky along the way if that's what I'm after. At some point, though, all perspective is lost and the pieces becomes abstract. I have a mountain of abstracts to deal with. 

Other than sanding, most of my time is looking for - and at - boards for placement and orientation. 

Yes, Larry, those are moons. 😄 Birdseye maple moons.  :) :)

Doc, they start out as 8/4 lumber. But after each glue up, I send them through the planer so the pieces eventually end up just shy of 1 3/8". Which actually helps to reduce the weight. But there is still enough heft to feel good  in the hand. 
I've not made any with 4/4. But I suspect it would finish out about 5/8" if your super careful with glue-ups. 

The edge treatment is a big, vertical router bit. I want a shaper really bad.  There is just too much vibration in the router table. 

doc henderson

can you describe the "stack cutting method"?  I do not plan on making anything identical but looks like a great concept to understand.  I assume cutting two boards at a time, one on top of the other, so the cut is a fit even if you stray off the line.  

doc henderson

how many species, and how do you inlay the moon/maple?

metalspinner

Yea, that's it, doc. Two boards cut at the same time. Any drift from your line is ok. Just keep smooth and steady. 
The moon is just a drilled hole and tapered plug. I turn the plugs 1/4" thick on my machine lathe with a 1 degree taper. 
That moon detail was an afterthought and emergency repair on the first board I made like this. While cutting the juice groove , the router slipped on me and I went astray. That's when the "plug" idea came to me. 

All the "moon" boards will sell first guaranteed. Even with the up charge. In fact, I don't even know why I offer them without the moon. But a maple sky with a maple moon,  doesn't look right. 

doc henderson

so, the moon is only on one side, and I guess you can flip it over if you are trying to sleep!   :)

Magicman

It's obvious that PatD and I need to stop by for another visit.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

metalspinner

doc henderson

some solid wood action for a charity auction.  Dr. Hagley the cardiologist @Cardiodoc helped.  I am happy to do these.  a few years back I did the cedar corn hole game, and it took weeks.

metalspinner

doc henderson

yes and pear, and ERC of course.  some quilting in the walnut.  i have another one in progress with many colors from a stump that was to be firewood.  

also had medicinal IPA in a coozie I got at the last Pig roast, from a new good friend and his wife.

Larry

Six inches of new snow on the ground this morning.  Spent the day in the shop with these two characters.

Got another stool glued up and ready to finish.

After that plowed the driveway and shoveled the sidewalks (twice).

Had a request for a couple of French rolling pins so I turned them plus another two.  They don't sell for much, $20 each, but I can make about 5 or 6 an hour and they use up left over wood.

WDH

They look pretty stressed out about it  :D.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

The only thing I did in my shop during the snow storm was go in there to get beer and a yard stick to measure the snow.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

aigheadish

I'm in the boat of not going into the shop as well. I've got projects but not much motivation to go out and spend money heating the place. It's the weekend now, though, so maybe I'll get out there some. 

I need to convince myself to climb up into the rafters to finish the insulation, but boy is that a miserable job. I keep meaning to buy a couple throwaway coveralls so I don't drag fiberglass all over the place too. If I'm dumb, and I likely am, I'll wait until it's unreasonably hot to go up and finish, so you know, it'll be 20 degrees warmer when I'm 12 feet up in the roof. 

Larry, your stools look great! 

Metalspinner, Doc, your boards look amazing. 

I don't know where the energy you guys have comes from... I wish I had about 10% of it.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

beenthere

Don't  like the fiberglass itch either.

For cheap suit, google:
Tyvek Disposable Suit
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I don't even want to breath fibreglass insulation let alone swim in it. If making you cough isn't a bad sign. ;D

dogone

What to do in a blizzard??  STAY HOME. We had a day long blizzard here in Saskatchewan a few days ago.Along with the hundreds who spent a long time stuck in their vehicles one died.
    A man on a tractor went to clear a road in zero visibility. He got stuck , left his running tractor to walk home. Took two days to find his body. It happens every year or so. One person made it about ten miles from his vehicle in a blizzard. A farmer found his body in his pasture the next spring. This was only 20 miles from me and five years back.
    These were unfortunate deaths but it is difficult to educate some folks.

aigheadish

@beenthere that's exactly what I'm looking for. I need to also find some kind of mask I can breathe in and not breathe in the fibers. I've got a normal dust mask but I couldn't breathe very well in it so I went the dumb route and just tried to hold my breath as much as I could. I know that isn't good but neither is passing out whilst walking on ceiling trusses. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

alan gage

Quote from: aigheadish on February 07, 2022, 10:55:34 AM
@beenthere that's exactly what I'm looking for. I need to also find some kind of mask I can breathe in and not breathe in the fibers. I've got a normal dust mask but I couldn't breathe very well in it so I went the dumb route and just tried to hold my breath as much as I could. I know that isn't good but neither is passing out whilst walking on ceiling trusses.
Get a respirator. The hardware store will have them. Work great. I never bother with the masks anymore. It's not always the most comfortable thing to wear but they work great. 
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

doc henderson

for ceiling insulation, if they are bats with vapor barrier, I work from below on the paper side of the insulation.  

HemlockKing

Quote from: dogone on February 04, 2022, 08:03:59 PM
  What to do in a blizzard??  STAY HOME.
...or pull out the elan 340 TWIN(snowmobile) crank a few beers and go for a RIP! ...obviously stay near home  :) but dang blizzards are fun and bring out the same feeling I got as a kid when they arrive.
A1

Andries

Here's a recent Canadian story about what you should do during a blizzard.
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6339703 
Tellin' ya, old guys RULE.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Larry

Cold and windy with drizzle this morning so I decided to spend the day in the shop.  Finished off a stool I've been working on.

Got caught up on sharpening bands.

More logs came in to saw but they came on a dump trailer so I didn't have to unload.

Started work on two urns that I've been commissioned to make. 

How old does one need to be to retire and watch soaps all day? :D :D

doc henderson

well larry, it is good you have learned to cope! :D :D :D

Walnut Beast

Andries

We have a blizzard forecast for tomorrow.
I hope to be able to cope as well as you Larry.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

aigheadish

Larry

Yes, those docs are just pretty sharp people! :) :)

doc henderson

Larry

This is my driveway to the outside world.  We've had an 1" or 2 of sleet with freezing rain/drizzle on top so it might be a little slick.  No need to venture out, not sure I could make it as slick as it looks.  So another shop day. :)

I'm sawing segments to build a cremation urn for a Doctor friend.  The saw is really a sliding table printers saw that I adapted mainly for cutting angle segments.  I made a vernier miter gauge accurate to a tenth of a degree. 

Segments ready to glue together.

All glued up.  When I get a dozen rings I'll stack them up by gluing them together.  Turn the assembly on the lathe into a vase type shape.  Make a lid and chase some threads so it screws on.

As typical, my buddy was not a bit interested in my woodworking.  Resting in his favorite place.

Old Greenhorn

Very slick! I look forward to seeing this as it progresses. I am wondering how you the inside turning will go. Hey, can you tell us (me anyway) where you got that glue bottle?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

boonesyard

The glue bottle is by Fast Cap, they make a couple different sizes. Woodcraft has them, can get them off Amazon as well.

They work very well, we use ours all the time.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Larry

A link.

GluBot Family - FastCap

They are so popular anymore any woodworking store normally has them. 

Great for some applications, but for others the the original bottle works just as well and a lot cheaper!

doc henderson

I use them as well.  if you have some 16 oz bottles, you can contact tite bond and they will send you some new caps, even in the proper color.  At least they have done it twice for me.  send me about 10 each time.

Old Greenhorn

Well, I looked them up. Pretty cool I think. We don't have woodworking shop suppliers around here, too rural. But I will keep an eye open. I could get them online, and will if I buy something I need from a supplier that has them. I'll check the one local place that might carry them. Probably the titebond bottles work just fine, but I just thought I would give something different a try. I have been saving my bottle since you pointed that out Doc, next purchase is a gallon, which I should have done a while ago, but I'm not that smart. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

I also have a rubber glue roller I like especially for spreading glue on the edges of glue ups, Like Bills Cherry may end up being.   :(  

Off site image removed by admin

got this on amazon.  about a 2-inch-wide roller with a pattern that makes the glue even across the length of the edge.

firefighter ontheside

lol @doc henderson I might have to glue 4 boards together to have a 1x6.

I always have a gallon jug of TB and a 16 oz bottle for daily use.  Every so often I buy a new bottle just to have  a new cap.  I did that just a few weeks ago.  I always make sure to leave my gallon jug high up on a shelf in the shop in case the heat gets turned off, my glue won't freeze.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Larry

I've been using this roller for years.  Its a 4" Rollrite Brayer made in the USA.  Available in about any art store such as Hobby Lobby.  The beauty of the roller is you can get a nice even coat which insures good coverage, less squeeze out, fast spread, and I use less glue.  Mostly use it on veneer work, cutting boards, and thick table top glue ups. It also cleans up easily even when I forget to do it until the next day. ???

Although I do use the Glu-Bots I'm also cheap and use 99 cent ketchup bottles from Walmart at times. :D

doc henderson

you know, you could be making MDF!  be glad for what you got! :D :D :D
and yes, if you just leave the glue on it, it all peels off the next day.  I have had mine for years.

aigheadish

Thanks for the pictures of the the urn, @Larry I'm interested in turning segmented pieces, which I've never tried, and those few simple pictures showed me how better than most. When it warms up some in the shop, and I can move some of the extra junk in there out to the barn I'll have to give it a shot. Like OGH I'm interested on the interior turn as well. I've seen videos of it but I still struggle to understand how to get in there well. I'm also a pretty unexperienced turner, with a kind of garbagey HF lathe, but I can't afford a good one yet.

Larry

Quote from: aigheadish on February 25, 2022, 07:49:26 AM
Like OGH I'm interested on the interior turn as well. I've seen videos of it but I still struggle to understand how to get in there well. I'm also a pretty unexperienced turner, with a kind of garbagey HF lathe, but I can't afford a good one yet.
Turning the inside is easy......if you do it in two pieces and glue it back together.  I have done it the hard way but I have to set up my big old heavy steady rest.

Pictures should explain the process.

Once I have it glued together I turn the outside a little more to refine the shape and clean it up.  Wall thickness is normally 1/4" to 3/8" but its not critical like with a green hollow form.

I have one more ring to make for the top.  This ring will have hand chased threads for the plug.  Chasing threads is an art and I don't do it much so I sometimes mess up.  If I screw up the threads on a ring its no big deal but if I screw up threads on a complete urn it becomes a problem.

After the top is done it will go to the cnc laser guy.

Don't knock your HF lathe, especially for segmented work.  One of the best segmenters I know uses a HF lathe.

rusticretreater

Nice segmented vase.  I do a bit of turning myself.  I have a Oneway 4236 which I just recently bought from an old fella who downsized.  I glue up half rings, and knock the inside corners off on the bandsaw, and then glue up the ring.  Its not so grabby when you turn the inside and much less stressful to work with.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

aigheadish

God bless experience! I'd have never (or at least for a long time!) thought to make it in two halves. I can turn the inside of a bowl reasonably well, I can't (I don't think) so much with a curvy-innerd vase. Good stuff! 

I need to do some more work on the HF lathe, I had some trouble getting the centers to be centered across the whole thing but I just learned some stuff that may help. 

Larry

Quote from: rusticretreater on February 26, 2022, 10:25:43 PM
I have a Oneway 4236 which I just recently bought from an old fella who downsized.
The Oneway 2436 in my opinion is the best lathe out there, especially for turning big stuff on the outboard side.  I've demoed on one several times at a craft school.  Some day I'll have one.

Tonight I made the top ring for the urn.  I hand chased the female threads for the lid that will screw on.  I made the tool I used to chase the threads but you can buy them.  I soak the threads in ca glue and they become pretty hard.

aigheadish

Is thread making just putting the tool in there and dragging back? I've never seen that done.

Holy crap, I've never seen that Oneway, it's a beast! 

Larry

Took the urn to my friend/neighbor/craftsman a few days ago and picked it up this morning.  He lasered some writing in the maple trim ring and put the Dentistry symbol on the top lid.  I think excellent work and a more than fair price of $30....I also tipped.

My Dentist friend was born to a dirt poor single mom in Arkansas.  Got trained by the Army to be a Dentist during WW-ll.  War ended about the time he graduated from school.  Had a distinguished career as a Dentist.  Made me feel good to be chosen to make a urn for his ashes.  Fitting that the wood for the urn came from close to where he was born.

caveman

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on February 24, 2022, 07:53:44 PMEvery so often I buy a new bottle just to have  a new cap.

A mustard bottle cap fits the Tightbond glue containers just right and they have a nice snap cap.  I don't use mustard but some of my family does.
Caveman

firefighter ontheside

that's interesting Caveman.  I will remember that the next time I have an empty mustard bottle.  Maybe I will just put glue in the mustard bottle.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

I have been using and liking the glu bots, as they work at any angle as they have a side spout that comes from the bottom of the container at a bout 7 bucks.  and if you call tite bond customer service they have twice sent me a pack of caps of the request colors.  

Thank You Sponsors!