iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Auxillary heat in Nyle L200M

Started by whittle1, March 09, 2022, 09:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whittle1

I'm finalizing my Kiln Build and while at it I pulled in additional wiring for Aux heat for future upgrade. Now I'm thinking about adding a 5kw heat strip out of an AC unit. Mount it in a 12 or 14" duct in the airstream above the fan on the nyle. Maybe it won't last as long but for around $100 or maybe free out of a replaced unit why not try it? You can get these with all the safetys and contactor installed. From what I can find most have a thermal overload switch set at 145 which would be fine to help preheat. Change out the switch to a 180 deg cutout and you could also use to sterilize.  What do you guys think?  Has anyone done this? Also is the aux heat settable on the L200M or is it just on when the unit calls for heat?
Thanks Wayne

K-Guy

If you have the kiln on insured property, I would be careful, that kind of home-made remedy can see your insurance cancelled if they get wind of it.

The L200 heat booster is controlled by the controls in your L200.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

KenMac

Also, the high limit switches are not measuring ambient temp in the space. They are mounted inside the heat kit. If the temp in the kiln is say 140 headed to 150 then the temp within the kit will be higher than even 180. You might make it work to get kiln up to start up temp but I doubt standard residential heat kits would work as you are thinking. I did some crazy stuff for customers over the 25 years as an HVAC tech and usually it takes specialized equipment to do abnormal stuff.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

whittle1

Thanks, Something to keep in mind. I would ultimately like to have an OWB. So just looking for a inexpensive way for the mean time. With the amount of air moving across the heat strip not sure how much hotter it would be from ambient. I'm sure some but if nothing else should be good to help get up to temp. Once I find what temp in the kiln trips the aux heat high limit I could shut it off before. Thank as always all input is welcomed 

KenMac

You're welcome for my input. The high limits are in place to prevent melt down in case of blower failure or air flow stoppage, so they are close to heating elements.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Thank You Sponsors!