iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

KD 150 Kiln Prices

Started by woodweasel, March 30, 2022, 05:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodweasel

Whats a basic $ amount  per day to charge to Kiln dry lumber in my KD150. Located in Central Texas.I know there are many variables.  Labor, electricity  etc........

KenMac

I have a  Nyle L200 kiln, but I'm definitely no expert on the art of drying wood or pricing it. I've never heard of a daily charge but it may be a common way to charge. I charge by the board footage of the load. Hopefully others with more expertise will chime in and offer their assistance to you.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

scsmith42

Years ago Gene Wengert suggested $25 per day per 1K board feet as a reasonable price for a DH kiln when drying from green.  So following Gene's guidance a fully loaded L200 with 4K bd ft of oak would be $100 per day, or $3000 minimum for a 30 day drying cycle.  This would be $.75 per bd ft for green oak if it were in the kiln for 30 days.

However, I'm usually drying QS which takes longer, so that same 4K bd ft will be in the kiln for 5-6 weeks, not 4.

Today I charge $1.30 to dry green 4/4 oak due to the increased electric cost from when Gene made this recommendation.

If I'm only doing a finish off run, I charge more due to the fact that there is more electric consumption  per day for a finish off run versus a dry from green run.  This is because when drying from green I'm only paying to heat the kiln to 90F for 10 days, then 100F for 10 days, and finally around 120F for 10 days, and then 160F for 24 hours.

Versus a finish off run for AD oak usually will require 7 days at 120 plus the 160F.

Also, I'm absorbing the cost to sticker in only 7 days of revenue charging versus 30 - 40.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

jpassardi

Why does quarter sawn take longer to dry?
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

scsmith42

Quote from: jpassardi on April 08, 2022, 08:02:33 PM
Why does quarter sawn take longer to dry?
QS shrinks twice as much in thickness during drying than FS. Milled green,  it's at least 6% thicker than flatsawn and usually 8%-10% thicker for the same dry thickness. 

We mill 5/4 QSWO at 1-7/16" green. 4/4 is milled at 1-1/4" green instead of 1-1/8" for FS. So not only are you drying a thicker board, your drying rate decreases slightly due to the increased thickness.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

YellowHammer

The normal drying rate here is 1 to 2 dollar per bdft.  But nobody stays in business for long, as it's just a matter of time before they kill a load, and have to pay restitution to the customer to make up for the loss of the wood.  

So be aware there are other costs and risks to drying other people's wood.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

wkf94025

If I ever decided to farm out 3rd party drying in my two solar+DH kilns (1,500bf capacity each), I would give control of the ventilation to the customer (via phone app), offer my advice, but clarify contractually that I take zero responsibility for the result, and that over-cooking the load is their risk.  Payment in advance obviously, for a least half the projected cost.  And a distinct calendar deadline that the load is done, independent of MC, weather, etc.  And any theft, fire, Acts of God are not my responsibility.
Lucas 7-23 swing arm mill, DIY solar kilns (5k BF), Skidsteer T76 w/ log grapple, F350 Powerstroke CCSB 4x4, Big Tex 14LP and Diamond C LPX20 trailers, Stihl saws, Minimax CU300, various Powermatic, Laguna, Oneida, DeWalt, etc.  Focused on Doug Fir, Redwood, white and red oak, Claro walnut.

Thank You Sponsors!