iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood heating insert

Started by charles mann, September 18, 2022, 01:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charles mann

What is the difficulty level of installing a wood burning fireplace insert in a mobile home? I only bc i need to reverse the process and pull mine out and replace with a wood stove/heater. My plan is to yard the insert out, leaving the smoke stack/piping and connecting the wood stove to it. 
I am not home, so pictures are out of the question and the difficulty for me uploading said pics, umm, yea, no, so plz dont ask for pics of insert. From what iv googled my insert looks almost just like all the other inserts and the vids iv seen for rmvl, well, were more full demo of the area. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

mike dee

If you are paying home insurance get a WETT certified installer. If you don't or don't care if they drop you like a hot cake then install it yourself. If your insert isn't certified you have a lot of problems in your future when it comes to insurance.

If you have other people living with you hire a certified installer to help you.
Bozeman Saw 26"x124"

charles mann

I want to REMOVE the insert, not instal one. 
Temple, Tx

thecfarm

Don't matter, you want to add a wood burning appliance that was not installed by a certified installer.
A guy down the road wanted to put a stove into his new mobile home.
No way!!! Even if it was done by a certified installer. His insurance company would not allow it.   ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

charles mann

Quote from: thecfarm on September 19, 2022, 08:08:22 PM
Don't matter, you want to add a wood burning appliance that was not installed by a certified installer.
A guy down the road wanted to put a stove into his new mobile home.
No way!!! Even if it was done by a certified installer. His insurance company would not allow it.   ::)
I was ensuring the next person might actually read the NO insert portion. I had talked my insurance company in the summer about replace the factory installed insert for a wood heater and was told as long as there is a triple walled pipe going through the ceiling and roof and appropriately rated hearth and reflector. 
Now that the insurance portion of which is my problem has been covered. 
Can we get back to answering the question of the difficulty of yarding an insert out? The only info im seeking is removal, nothing else. 
Temple, Tx

beenthere

Can't imagine a problem when you see the fasteners holding the insert in place.

Otherwise, I'll just wait for your pics of what you run up against that isn't straight forward and obvious for the insert removal.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

charles mann

You'll be waiting a while, waiting on pics. 
Temple, Tx

Al_Smith

If you are asking how hard it is to remove one ,kind of tricky and time consuming .Depends on your "rigging " skills .
In my case I had to remove a circa 80's plate steel Lopi insert to install a 7" stainless liner inside a 9" clay liner flue .It had to weigh at least 600 pounds .
What I did was build a platform of 3/4 plywood to pull it on from the hearth and use pipe rollers to move it over the hard wood floor over 1/2" plywood to protect the flooring  .Then after the liner was installed and roll it back in place . I might add I had no help .So yes you can do it but plan it out first .It's just not a job that can be done in half an hour .I can snap a picture if you need it . 

Southside

Why did you decide to put in an insert? Wouldn't a stand alone be easier?  :D  :D  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

charles mann

Quote from: Al_Smith on September 20, 2022, 06:16:23 AM
If you are asking how hard it is to remove one ,kind of tricky and time consuming .Depends on your "rigging " skills .
In my case I had to remove a circa 80's plate steel Lopi insert to install a 7" stainless liner inside a 9" clay liner flue .It had to weigh at least 600 pounds .
What I did was build a platform of 3/4 plywood to pull it on from the hearth and use pipe rollers to move it over the hard wood floor over 1/2" plywood to protect the flooring  .Then after the liner was installed and roll it back in place . I might add I had no help .So yes you can do it but plan it out first .It's just not a job that can be done in half an hour .I can snap a picture if you need it .
That is what i was looking for. Thank you sir. 
Temple, Tx

Thank You Sponsors!