iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More trees tipping over.

Started by Jeff, September 27, 2022, 10:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

This past week, I noticed I had several large bigtooth aspens tip over. Sad to see, but when you look at my forest you can see from the pit and mound topography in places, that the big aspen grow, live, tip over, die, rot away, and feed the new trees that come up due to the opening to the sun, has been going on for generations.

The Inevitability of Aging Trees. - YouTube
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Those are where all of my firewood come from.  This past Saturday, I drove the tractor by a stack of Red Oak firewood that I had bucked from a fallen tree and forgot to recover.  More always fall than I can utilize and that does not take in consideration those that are inaccessible.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

And aspen makes great firewood. ;D And you can harvest a good size firewood tree every 30 years. 8)

When Arthur blew through here in 2014, I had to cut a bunch of aspen that trashed the property line on the woodlot. I cut them all out because I like to keep the line like a path to walk on. Makes it easier to keep the trees painted or brush out the shrubs when you are not having to climb over wood. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

i had one fall over by the mill.  i helped it as it was dead and i was trying to spruce up the place.  need to be neat as a  lot of old people have been showing up lately.  they are my friends and actually my age.   :)

this cedar had a branch against this elm for years, and has grown around it.  

able to tip it back and out, and no damage to anything.  sprinkler stuff and tanks to the back side.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

John Mc

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 28, 2022, 02:49:20 PMAnd aspen makes great firewood. ;D And you can harvest a good size firewood tree every 30 years.

I guess the outlook on that depends in where you live. We have a lot of firewood snobs in our area (and I count myself among them) rarely will anyone put the labor into processing Aspen into firewood when they can get Oak, Hickory, Hard Maple, Black Birch, Beech, etc for the same amount of effort. Of course you are getting a very good sized tree every 30 year from that stuff, though.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

doc henderson

you burn what ya got.  Alaska has very little hard wood I am told.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

PoginyHill

Interesting shape that elm and cedar made together.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

barbender

Having quite a few years in the forest under my belt, I've seen quite a few knots, crotches, and branches that are pretty obscene. Doc's is certainly in that realm😂
Too many irons in the fire

doc henderson

now that you mention it.  did not see it that way.  too innocent I suppose.  Oh well, I own it ! :) :) :)

Jeff

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: Jeff on September 28, 2022, 06:41:53 PM
Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 28, 2022, 02:49:20 PM
And aspen makes great firewood.
Poof!
😂 it's not that bad. We burnt lots of it when I was young. Just don't season it like other Hardwoods.  We always cut and split just before you burn it. Like September. 

chet

I'm not too fond of that green Aspen smoke. Yuck  :D  I use quite a bit of aspen for drawer carcasses. Also just finished a 16x20 shed and made 6/4 large tooth Aspen shiplap for the floor decking.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

barbender

I burn aspen any time. I have a sick fantasy of having a fire with only basswood, balsam, and aspen and there's nothing else available, and a bunch of freezing firewood snobs have to come warm themselves by it😁😂
Too many irons in the fire

chet

So yer da guy makin' da god awfull stinky smoke.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

SwampDonkey

Why would ya burn it green? Not I. :)

Guy up the road said he can't tell the difference in aspen or maple smoke. :D Yeah, I can, but I would not describe it as being any worst than the smell of maple smoke. ;)

I have found aspen to hold a fire as long as maple, just not the long lasting coals after, 2 hrs. But coals have to be hot enough to trip the furnace fan or they aren't much benefit except that in the morning all you need do is set your load of wood in on coals and no need for newsprint. Coals work better in a small stove that radiates heat and not forced air, if the fan ain't on it's not heating much.

I haven't oak or hickory and my maple and ash are small poles compared to same age aspen and fir.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I think I can count the trees that have tipped over on my land on 2 hands. I have about 150 acres too. One of them is an aspen. Most times it's an EWP, due to wind.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PoginyHill

Quote from: doc henderson on September 28, 2022, 04:55:59 PMnow that you mention it.  did not see it that way.

Just another day at the office for Doc.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Nebraska

I pretty much burn any firewood that's handy to get.  :)

Resonator

When it's 22 below it's better than burning snowballs. :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Jeff

In da u.p., we just go out and chop da smoke down when it freezes and reburn it, that's why Chet is particular on da smoke oder.

doc henderson

as seen in prior postings, some of you are disturbed.  well this may disturb you more.  this is the tree after some minor trimming.

ouch! :o :o :o  8) 8) 8)  :snowball:  :)

Thank You Sponsors!