iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Central Boiler 750 HD Heat Exchanger Cleaning

Started by Bob Lentz, October 19, 2022, 11:21:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Lentz

I have the unit with no chains and access to the heat exchanger from the back. Very easy to get to.  I burn pine and aspen. I have been very happy with how the boiler works for the most part. There is a lot of work that goes into keeping the unit running efficiently. 

I have found the best way to clean my heat exchanger is to use a 16" long 7/8 paddle bit with the point ground off, in a drill.  The bit fits perfectly between the fins and makes short work of knocking off the creosote. I can also push it up into the top end to clean out the slits into the area of the chimney.

When looking at all the videos online of these heat exchangers, they never appear to look like mine.  Burning pine is messy but that is what i have. I am wondering how other people deal with creosote on the heat exchangers and how often they clean the heat exchanger?

Thanks!
eClassic-2400
Triangle Tube Backup (Propane)
Heating 6500 sqft house and small pool

DDW_OR

a HOT fire each week.

stop loading wood into the box, let the water temp drop to 100.
then re-start the fire.
I use diesel (motor oil, cooking oil, heating oil ) in an oil-pump-can, about 30 pumps. 10, then light, then 20 into the fire
DO NOT USE GAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this creates a long, HOT burn to burn-off the creosote
been doing this to the CB-750 in Oregon.
will also be doing it to the new CB-760 HDX in Montana
"let the machines do the work"

Bob Lentz

So, you suggest spraying diesel in the firebox, walls, floor etc AND on the heat exchanger. Let it sit for a bit, then start a normal wood fire?
eClassic-2400

PoginyHill

I made a holder for a paint scraper blade to mount to that fits between the water "fins". I scrape one side at a time - not designed to fits snuggly and therefore scrape both at a time. I use that rarely - maybe once per month. Weekly I brush them with a flat wire brush - sold through any CB supplier. I have never needed any cleaning beyond this. Creosote doesn't really build up on the heat exchanger much.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

DDW_OR

Quote from: Bob Lentz on October 19, 2022, 01:35:58 PM
So, you suggest spraying diesel in the firebox, walls, floor etc AND on the heat exchanger. Let it sit for a bit, then start a normal wood fire?
just on the firewood

the rest may cause a fireball
"let the machines do the work"

Bob Lentz

Ok - i understand the diesel cleaning method - 

For some reason my heat exchanger fins get coated with creosote - i always assumed it was due to the pine wood i burn.  Brushing the fins does nothing as the creosote is sticky/wet tar.  

eClassic-2400

beenthere

Not hot enough fires. Too often the fires are dampened down so they are just smoldering. My guess.
Would like to hear different, and you may know that your fires are not dampened down. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bob Lentz

i let the fire go out, let the fins cool off and the creosote turns hard - i then use the paddle bit in the drill to remove the crust.  Takes about 15 minutes - no big deal. I am going to do a diesel fuel fire clean of the firebox.  I have seen video of people using cardboard to create super hot fire. I got plenty of diesel fuel.
eClassic-2400

Thank You Sponsors!