iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rust Reaper

Started by Homer, November 21, 2005, 05:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

Found at a tag sale,very rusted/coroded machinest parallel clamp,[about 4"]. Screws didn't turn at all. Applied Rust Reaper about four times over a three week period, each time trying to turn screws with out breaking them. Fourth try felt screws turn slightly and continued back and forth movement. Screws came loose. Can now wire brush parts and use. Wow. Homer

TexasTimbers

I'll chime in with you Homer I should have done this already myself just didn't know where I ought to post it. Maybe we need a little section where we can leave product testimonials for the sponsors? 
I had to remove a "C" retainer for repair, for the lack of proper terminology, that helps holds the locking rod on my 40' sea container because I backed into it with my tractor and bent it, causing excessive binding.
The 4 nuts were fused onto their bolts. As you know, sea containers are exposed to the harshest of elements. For my own little test, I applied WD-40 to one nut, Liquid Wrench (my former favorite) to another, and Rust Reaper (my NOW favorite) to the other two.
I came back in 30 minutes and none would budge. I applied more of the respective lubricants and came back in about another hour.
The two Rust Reaper nuts popped loose with virtually no effort. In fact, I nearly busted a knuckle because I started off using what I thought would be alot of needed force but both of them came loose with ease. The WD-40 and Liquid Wrench nuts still did not move. I continued to apply more of each throughout the day whenever I would walk by and they never came loose. Next morning I applied more drops of each and put the wrench to them again at lunch and the Liquid wrench nut broke loose but got about halfway and bogged down to a halt (the threads were not buggered up on any of these nuts). The WD-40 did not bust loose. I tightened the LW nut back down and shot both the LW and WD nut with high pressure air, applied RR and came back at lunch .... the LW came off nearly with hand pressure after I broke it loose again and the WD-40 popped right off.
Not exactly scientific but facts are facts, and in my book Rust Reaper truly is far superior to either WD or Liquid Wrench.
Only thing is I still do love the smell of Liquid Wrench. I usually wear a little behind my ears for Sunday-go-to-meetins.  :D smiley_airfreshener
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Paschale

Hey...I need to sing the praises of Rust Reaper too!  I just loaned mine to a friend who just bought a snow blower attachment for his tractor, and things were stuck solid.  RR got it going again no problem!  He had tried WD-40, but it was a no-go.

If you're a newbie to the Forum, do yerself a favor and get an early Christmas present--buy yerself some true R&R.   8)

Thanks Mike!

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Modat22

From the sounds of things I need to order 6 cans, I've tried WD40, liquid wrench, and some stuff marketed by conklen (sp).

The best stuff I've used so far was made by conklen (which I can't find anymore).

I'll see if I can order some rust reaper online.
remember man that thy are dust.

Lud

Generator mount bolts together since '58 came finger free dith one app. of RR.  Awesome!

Real nice for the hinge on your pocket knife,  too.

You know there's only three kinds of people:

• Them's that don't carry pocketknives.
  • Them's that carry pocketknives.
  • And them's that carry SHARP pocketknives.

Which kind do you think I am ??? ;D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Jeff

And them there that are pithed off because they can't currently find thier pocket knife!  I fit that one... :-\

(I fixed yer bullits) :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Corley5

I'm a farmer.  Mine never stays sharp for long :D :D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DanG

Modat22, you're in luck.  You can order your RustReaper right here.  They sponsor the Forest Education board and you can just click on their logo there.  You can also order it through Logrite, another FF sponsor. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Lud

Thanks for the fix, Jeff.  Gotta explore the tools until you're comfortable...and that means mistakes.

Have you ever considered a Forum tutorial?  it could be a hoot!   otherwise I'll just hang on for the ride and figure it out as we go.   Best thing I've found in a long time.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Mike_P.

Thanks for the kind words regarding how Rust Reaper works.  It's always a pleasure to hear those things. 

Modat22, as DanG said there are a couple of ways to order Rust Reaper, plus you are always welcome to give us a call, toll-free at 1-866-788-5688.  (Now, it is the correct number.)

Mike

IL Bull

I'm a sharp pocketknive person.  Goes back to my whittlin' days. ;D
Jeff I can't figure out how to do the Quote thing. :P ???
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Modat22

I'm ordering some now, I have a heck of a challenge for it.

Pics to come soon.

beenthere

Quote from: IL Bull on November 22, 2005, 11:42:33 AM

Just click on the "Quote" button (lower right, middle one of the three) and then start your message after the ending 'quote' in [] brackets.  You also can highlight any of the words within the quotes and delete them, if not wanted.  Then when done, click 'preview' to see what your message is going to look like, so you can do any editing at that time before sending. Seems many members miss that step and send something they don't mean to send (maybe ::) ) :) :)

I'm a sharp pocketknife person too (carry the Victronix 'Swiss Army' Electrician model) with blade, sheepsfoot, hole punch, flat screw driver, and top opener.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Quote from: Lud on November 22, 2005, 09:34:25 AM
Have you ever considered a Forum tutorial?  it could be a hoot!   

You were close, yep, ya gotta play. :)  Remember you can edit your post, so if its not right, you can try again, or you can use your preview.

There is a tutorial ;D  Ever click on the help link up on thae menu bar? There is quite a buit in there including on how to use all of the tags.

Quote from: Modat22 on November 22, 2005, 11:49:38 AM
I'm ordering some now, I have a heck of a challenge for it.

Pics to come soon.

Looking forward to that!

Jeff

Quote from: IL Bull on November 22, 2005, 11:42:33 AM

we just had some fun doing a tutorial on quoting in behind the forum here:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=15235.0

Mike_P.

This must be a "Senior Moment" day for me.  I gave the wrong toll-free number in my earlier post.  The correct number is 1-866-788-5688. 

Thanks, Modat22 for the order and for pointing out my error.

Mike

Modat22

Mike here's the challenge project for rust reaper.

I don't believe theres one nut or bolt on this that I can remove. I'm been spraying wd40 on a few of the bolt for the past 4 or 5 days with no luck. I was intending on drilling and using extractors on them but we're gonna try rust reaper instead.

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Modat22 on November 22, 2005, 12:19:12 PMI don't believe theres one nut or bolt on this that I can remove

No one knows yet either but I wouldn't bet on it ;) If Rust Reaper doesn't work you can also try heating it (micro tip torch) before you drill and extract. But try a little RR first .......
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Jeff

One of my projects is in the rust reaper gallery. I swore that it would never come apart. It did. Every piece and without heat on this one.

http://www.rustreaper.com/gallery/uni-tractor

Fla._Deadheader

Most important, take yer time, don't hurry. That stuff didn't jump ON them parts in 1 day.  ::) ;) ;) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

Here is the finished results of my unitractor thanks to rustreaper. It also has a short clip of Tammy running the resurrected machine.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=6561.0

Modat22

That little uni-tractor is the slickest little thing I've seen in awhile. The movie was great.

IL Bull

[I'm a sharp pocketknife person too (carry the Victronix 'Swiss Army' Electrician model) with blade, sheepsfoot, hole punch, flat screw driver, and top opener.]
My Choice is carbon steel Case xxx.
My "quote" still doesn't look right on the preview.
I'll post it and see.
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Modat22

I've had some pretty danG good success with rust reaper so far. No pictures I was in a hurry.

1st - the old wisconsin ve4 needed new valve seats and I being a cheapskate decided to put the new ones in myself. After a couple hours of dremel cutting, banging, chiseling, and even milling into the side of the old seals I had no luck. A couple dabs (not much) around the seal and a little heat and they poped out with one whack!

I've been been putting a smidgen on the bolts of both the starter and generator every couple days in hopes of getting em apart without breaking anything, I'll post results a little later. Also theres a pully on this old motor that is totally rusted on the shaft, I suspect that I'll have to saw this old cast iron pully in half to remove it but I'll try rust reaper on that as well for the heck of it.

Thank You Sponsors!