iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The New Planer

Started by tcsmpsi, March 07, 2007, 11:04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcsmpsi

The other day, over on the General Board, I had asked for any input one might have on the Grizzly G0477 15" planer/moulder, as I was looking for a large, yet one person portable planer I could readily load in and out of the pickup.

After all the studying, I went ahead and ordered the 'little' rascal.  When I first got the packing opened, I could see right away that I had, indeed reached the pinnacle of portablity (as per my own data).

Got it all together, checked out and pretty well discovered.  Got a few features my old planer didn't, that I find quite useful.  I got a couple sets of moulder knives, but have to build a moulding jig for it.  Will probably be a while before I get that done.

It has a power up/down feed (red lever over on the far left), as well as the manual crank, which is pretty handy.  I really like the planing thickness indicator (gauge in the middle) that allows me to readily tell how deep I'm about to plane. 
That's a chunk of bubinga on the planer, by the way, that's already been through.
Having its own dustbag is more helpful than I had anticipated.

Thusfar, I find it to be all I had hoped. 

One of the things I really like about a planer,

One would hardly know that goncalo alves was lurking about in that old piece of wood.
(of course, picking it up would give a clue that there was something in there)

Just a few odds and ends run through checking out function.  Oh, and maybe just a little for fun.   ;D

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

metalspinner

QuoteJust a few odds and ends run through checking out function.  Oh, and maybe just a little for fun.   

It's nice to brighten up the shop with some color. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

tcsmpsi

Yes.  Yes, it is.   :)

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Don K

As usual tcsmpsi, there is no sawdust evident in your photos.  :D :D :D  I,ve got to find me some of that dustless wood so I don't have to clean up so much. :'(  ;D

Beautiful wood, bet it made you smile when that dull top peeled off.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

DWM II

That is a nice machine tcsmpsi. I am needing to get one for myself as well. Have you planed any hard wood max width?
Stewardship Counts!

tcsmpsi

Quote from: Don K on March 10, 2007, 03:19:55 AM
As usual tcsmpsi, there is no sawdust evident in your photos.  :D :D :D  I,ve got to find me some of that dustless wood so I don't have to clean up so much. :'(  ;D

Beautiful wood, bet it made you smile when that dull top peeled off.

Don

Now, there's a little skosh of dust on the planer.  Air, man.  Air.  Blow it all off into the corners and up against the walls, then keep stacking stuff over it.   When you get one building full, go build another.   :D

Of course, a lot of times, they look more like this...

Getting Goncalo Alves to that point is no easy chore, especially when it's a bit warped.
Which is not uncommon.  It is a good test for a planer.

But, I love planing most anything.  Now that I've thrown a mill into the foray, I'm a pretty contented fellow.    :D

It really is a nice machine, DWM.  No, I haven't planed any full width hardwood yet.  I have some drying (a large reason for another planer) that will be a double naught challenge for it, though.

DWM II

I love a double naught challenge!  8)
Stewardship Counts!

brdmkr

Hey tcsmpsi

How thick are your molding knives?  I have a woodmaster planer molder and I noticed that the Grizzly knives are more than a little bit cheaper.  I am wondering if they would work in my machine.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

tcsmpsi

Which Woodmaster do you have, brdmkr?  (I'm thinking of obtaining yet another planer)

Off the top of my head, I don't remember the thickness.  I will look and let you know.

tcsmpsi

brdmkr

The blades are 15 1/2" X 5/8" X 5/64"

crtreedude

Nice stuff. We have a 15 inch Jet with Helix head - it is unbelievable on the wood down here that resembles rock.

I am curious - you are referring to it being semi-portable - are you built like the Hulk or something?! I can barely move our Jet by myself, I don't know how much it weighs, but it is no light weight.

I am thinking of another planer in the future just to haul from place to place.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

tcsmpsi

Originally, when making this decision, I was looking at the weight and what I gathered to be the basic 'size'. 

Uh...well...I did pick it up and put it on the stand.  But, it isn't quiiiiiiite as portable as I had somewhat envisioned.  However, it works quite well.

So...I have kinda changed my thoughts about a bit, and rather than move planers about, I believe I am going to look at placing planers where I need them. 

I am looking at the woodmaster 718 for one of those applications. 

slowzuki

I bought a 13" portable at christmas, that suckers weighs 68 kg, which is hmm, 150 lbs.  My back has almost forgiven me  8)

brdmkr

Quote from: tcsmpsi on March 19, 2007, 09:12:28 AM
Which Woodmaster do you have, brdmkr?  (I'm thinking of obtaining yet another planer)

Off the top of my head, I don't remember the thickness.  I will look and let you know.

I have the 718.  The molding knives are 5/16 thick.  The knives are pretty pricey and if I understand correcctly, you only get one knife and balancing weights for the other 2 openings.  WIth Grizzly, it looks like they sell knives in sets of 3.  However, the grizz catalog does not list thickness.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

tcsmpsi

Would I be supposing correctly that you got the pro pack with your 718?

Have you used it yet?  Or, set it up yet?

The knives for the Griz 04777 are 3/16" thick, and yes, they are in a set of three.

brdmkr

Quote from: tcsmpsi on March 20, 2007, 07:40:43 AM
Would I be supposing correctly that you got the pro pack with your 718?

Have you used it yet?  Or, set it up yet?

The knives for the Griz 04777 are 3/16" thick, and yes, they are in a set of three.

I do have the pro pack.  I have not set it up.  That machine and an 8" Grizz jointer are waiting on the new shop.  Both tools seem well made.

Too bad on the grizz blades.  I was hoping that I could use them.

Thank You Sponsors!