iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Water Powered Sawmill With Video

Started by thedeeredude, March 13, 2007, 10:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

This is video of a sawmill at the Daniel Boone Homestead in Birdsboro, PA.  The qaulity isnt the greatest, it was filmed on a digital camera.  They're sawing up a small walnut log. 

Water Powered Mill

Water Powered Mill

Theres one more video thats still processing.  Ill post it when I get a chance.

thedeeredude

I forgot to add, its an undershot water wheel and flows at 8900 gpm.

Sprucegum

8)  8)  8)

I was surprised to see a dragsaw instead of circular but I guess that's what they had in those days.

JV

My wife and I might get over that way this summer, we'll have to stop and see it.  I have seen photos of those old sash mills, but never saw one in person.  Some used multiple blades and sawed the log in one pass.  Beats a pit saw.   :D
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dave Shepard

Old Sturbridge Village, Sturbridge MA, has an up and down sash mill. It's pretty cool. Makes you appreciate what it took to make boards back then, even with water power.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thedeeredude

They only run the mill on special occasions.  Check www.danielboonehomestead.com under the events section and it will tell you when or you can just call the homestead and ask.  It is something to see and experience.  It makes everything shake and to see the water wheel in person is just awesome.

thedeeredude

i just checked, they'll be running the mill in july and august, so if you want to see it call ahead and check what times they'll run.

Daren

I found another one, look at all the belts  :o. Sure doesn't saw very fast...and I am skeptical about the setworks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-_jRGhdrd0&mode=related&search=

Here is another slow mill, me and my little 13 h.p. manual...the setworks are good though and fast. I wasn't making too bad of time sawing 18" wide ash. I don't get in a big hurry about anything anyway, it makes nice boards.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZH6LWq3fuY
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Thank You Sponsors!