iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

prices for firewood

Started by countryjonez, February 26, 2010, 11:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryjonez

i was wondering what the price per cord is for seasoned hardwood firewood.i cut all my own,but was thinking about selling some locally.it is usually sold by the truck load in my area.i go through about 20 truck loads a year.wondering what that would be in cords.truck is 8 foot bed stacked to the top of the bed. mostly locust,hickory, and oak. thanks for any info
If God be for us who can be against us ?

bandmiller2

Jonez,I would call around where you live like you wanted to buy,then average the price.Prices vary alot from location, to the price of oil, or how cold it is,however its a tough way to make a buck. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

countryjonez

Qweaver

Hi Jonesz,
I talked to the owner of John's Tree Service in Weston, WV  this morning and he sells by the truckload (about 1 1/2 cord) for $200 a load delivered.  That sounds cheap to me.  He gets paid to remove the the trees but he still has to transport, cut, split, stack and season for a year and then deliver and stack.  He is sold out so there is quite a market.  Seems like a tough way to make a dollar.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Ironwood

Try Craig's list in your area. That tends to be a good indicator of value.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

countryjonez

ohsoloco

Quote from: countryjonez on February 26, 2010, 11:02:07 PM
wondering what that would be in cords.truck is 8 foot bed stacked to the top of the bed.

I assume that's a pickup, and not a dump truck.  It would be around half a cord.  'round here cords are running between $140-$180. 

clww

I sell firewood in our area and have for the past 5 years now. This year I was selling an honest cord (measured 4X4X8, stacked) 100% seasoned Oak at $180 a cord, delivered within 25 miles of the house.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

doctorb

I pay $195/cord, when I buy.  While that may seem a little highter than those posting before me, it's all oak and he does not split it fine, like for a fireplace.  He leaves it in larger chunks and delivers it in a truck that holds 2.5 cords.  It's great for my outdoor boiler.  I believe that I would burn much more wood if I used fireplace sized logs than these larger ones.

I would suggest you take a truck load of wood and stack it so you know exactly what fraction of a full cord it is.  Take a picture of it and show it to your customers.  I like dealing with straight shooters.  When they are up- front and honest, they keep me coming back as a customer.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

$200 for a cord and a half isn't bad if he was paid to take down the trees. Better than paying $100 a cord trucked to his processor and them selling for $190/cord I think and trucking it out after.

And yeah, I don't want kitchen stove wood sizes meant for grannies, I want slabs. Lasts a lot longer in the fire.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodmills1

hudson NH

I sell only green   cut split or long

long price depends on when and how
sometimes Ifin it's already loaded I will do a $200 special
probably 3+ to 4 cord

cut split delivered my best price is $250 for 1.5 cord(about 1.75 really)

no one complains about my firewood

always more than they paid for, all oak maple etc, no soft wood or poplar

since I bought the Blue Ox the firewood is a side thing
It comes in so has to go out
I bought the multitek to help get it out
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Al_Smith

I don't sell the stuff any more .However this same conversaion arose the other evening with a trimmer sitting at my kitchen table .He lets them have it for 50 a pick up  load if they load and haul it themselves .75 -80 if he hauls it .

Seeings how a pick up is around a half a cord that would equate to between 100 and 160 a cord .The way he figured it with gas at 3 bucks a gallon and a 4 wheel drive that gets 8 MPG he's better off to just sit at the house and collect the money rather than exert himslf and pay the gasoline bill .

Besides all that the wood is just residue from the tree jobs and he has to haul it off anyway .The groundies split up for 10 an hour per man if they are low on work so he really has little in it all told .Plus he heats his house so he's way ahead of the game .

woodmills1

yes, also...... :P

the stuff I can't sell heats my house..... :)
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!