iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kansas Forest Products Association

Started by Kansas, June 22, 2010, 09:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kansas

Not sure where to post this, but being this is general information, I decided to put it here.
We are wanting to resurrect the KFPA. We basically suspended activities a year and a half ago when we lost our go to guy in the Kansas Forest Service (they lost the funding for his position), and we began to lose a lot of our sawyers and loggers due to the economy. Not that we had that many to begin with. After my trip to the Richmond show, and meeting a number of sawyers and people in the industry, it made me realize how important being able to network is. We have sent out letters and a stamped postcard to return, to everyone in the old archives of who attended shows, etc. I know we have missed some people in the mailing. I also made the mistake of not putting the person's name on the postcard, and a few have come back that are interested but didn't leave their name.
We are trying to find out who is left, anyone new, and we plan on having an organizational meeting. Yodon't have to attend, but we would like you to join and be as active as you wish to be. There are no dues. With the Thousand Canker Disease threatening our state, and some tax issues specific to sawmills and loggers that we want to address through lobbying, we feel there is some strength in numbers.
Feel free to call my sawmill at 785-456-8141. Ask for Casey,and she will be glad to take down your information. I know there are not many members from Kansas on here, but I don't want to overlook anyone. And guests who just read the posts are very welcome too.

Bibbyman

Maybe you can just join up with the Missouri Forest Products Association?  There are members from other states in MFPA. 

I know they were real tickled to get our check for our 2010 membership.  Seems a lot of companies (mills, loggers, etc.)  have either gone out of business or felt they could no longer spend the money to be a member.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Kansas

Actually Bibby, I am a member of the MFPA. I joined because I use them for the auditing of our heat treatment unit for pallets going overseas. It was cheaper to join and get the lower rates. However, now that I am in, I'm glad I am. Great people, and a lot of resources. Part of what kicked off getting the KFPA going again is that the MFPA came within a whisker of getting sawmills treated as farms for taxation purposes this last legislative session. They will be back next year and have strong backing. I want to accomplish the same in Kansas.
And you don't have to be from Kansas to join. When Larry lived in Missouri, he was a member. We have had others from Missouri and Nebraska.

Tom the Sawyer

Kansas, you're right - there aren't very many of us on here, 15 pins on the member map.  I'll call your number tomorrow, looking forward to interacting with others in Kansas.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Kansas

Welcome to the forum, Tom. Look forward to hearing and meeting you.

Ron Scott

Well done! in taking the initiative for getting a  Kansas Forest Products Association started. Hopefully it generates interest and grows in numbers.
~Ron

ksu_chainsaw

Sent you a PM with my info.  I am still looking at buying a sawmill in the future, and stopped one time at your mill and looked at your old Woodmizer sitting outside. 

With my work schedule, its hard to get time away to go do stuff, and with our second child due in a few months, the Honey-do list is growing rapidly.

Charles

Thank You Sponsors!