iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Portable sawmill

Started by markkelly, May 20, 2011, 07:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markkelly

I am looking at purchasing a lt10 woodmizer sawmill.   I am going to mill my own wood and want to mill for other people and sell some of the wood. I have been advertising on craiglist for fallen trees and haven been getting some good response. Any advice you can give me?   Thanks Much - Mark
LT 10 Woodmizer, Stihl, Husquvana,wood carving tools, Ford 3000 Tractor, Trailer.

Bill Gaiche

markkelly, welcome to the FF. Good luck with your purchasing a mill and sawing. bg

Coon

Buy yourself a good metal detector it will be well worth your while.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

WDH

If you want to cut your own wood, and you have lots of time, then the LT10 will work great.  If you want to cut for others, that is a little beyond its niche.  The LT15 with the 25 HP engine is a very good all around cut-for-yourself-cut-a-little-for-others mill.  If you want to cut more than a little for others, then you should look at something with hydraulics or you will work yourself to death.  There are some other makes and models from other manufacturers as well.  Check out their websites on the left side of the page.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

paul case

welcome markkelly,
where are you located at and what kind of logs and what size of log do you have?
manual mills work well on smaller logs and the occasional big un. i use a manual mill and like to cut logs that are 12'' to 15'' as they are easier to turn. by the way what you described is what i am doing. good luck.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

thecfarm

markkelly,welcome to the forum.Ever sawed all day before? It's hard at times to sell lumber. They always want what you don't have. The numbers coming off the mill sounds good,but than you need the people to buy the lumber. Than need a way to dry it,even air drying it needs to be under cover. Than you need support equipment,a tractor at the least with forks to move lumber. A way to get rid of slabs and sawdust. You may have others in your area trying to do the same thing. You talk about getting logs,you need a truck or trailer to get the logs. When you are out hauling logs no one is sawing making money. Not trying to discourage you,but just check things out before going wide open. I have a manual mill.That's why I say,If I Don't Do it,It Don't Get Done. You do all the work on a manual mill. It's ALOT of work at the end of the day. Not saying it can't be done,but it takes time to work each log by hand.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sixacresand

Hi MarkKelly,  The LT10 does some pretty work.   I have enjoyed using it even though it is a lot of work.  My decision to buy a buy a LT10 was based on its lower cost and to see if I would like sawmilling.  In my limitied experience, the hard work is handling logs, slabs, lumber and sawdust. If had the money I would invest in a tractor with front loader/forks before investing in a larger/faster mill. Good luck and have fun with your LT10.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

Welcome markkelly, to the Forestry Forum.  Sometimes you can get more bang for your bucks by buying a used sawmill.  I did.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

Sometimes selling the logs is a good option too, you can saw some and sell some logs to help finance the sawing till the wood starts to move ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

MurrayD99

Quote from: thecfarm on May 21, 2011, 09:02:56 AM
markkelly,welcome to the forum.Ever sawed all day before? It's hard at times to sell lumber. They always want what you don't have. The numbers coming off the mill sounds good,but than you need the people to buy the lumber. Than need a way to dry it,even air drying it needs to be under cover. Than you need support equipment,a tractor at the least with forks to move lumber. A way to get rid of slabs and sawdust. You may have others in your area trying to do the same thing. You talk about getting logs,you need a truck or trailer to get the logs. When you are out hauling logs no one is sawing making money. Not trying to discourage you,but just check things out before going wide open. I have a manual mill.That's why I say,If I Don't Do it,It Don't Get Done. You do all the work on a manual mill. It's ALOT of work at the end of the day. Not saying it can't be done,but it takes time to work each log by hand.

I am in a similar situation.  Timber was planted for coppicing/firewood and is ngetting ready to harvest but I wonder about milling it.  Got the land, tractor etc...  looking at mills....  working on the economics of the operation....  wondering about sales, wire/nails embedded...  etc    It wouldn't be full-time.  Thanks for the question and the advice.

Thank You Sponsors!