The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Chainsaw won't cut straight. Need advice.  (Read 23199 times)

Offline jokers

• Senior Member x2
  • Chainsaw Freak
    • Share Post
Re: Chainsaw won't cut straight. Need advice.
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2004, 10:21:46 AM »
Hi Mike,

I can see where you might think that, but what you would more than likely have with a bent or twisted bar is chain binding and binding in the cut. Cutting "tobbagans" as Gypo would say, happens when one side of the chain is cutting faster. Whether it be due to uneven sharpening or excessive bar wear letting the chain wander to the side that is pulling more.

BTW, nice dead things. Sorry that I can`t tell for sure what they are, but you must be a true "man`s man". LOL  ;D

Russ

Offline Mike_Barcaskey

• professional outdoorsman
    • Share Post
    • my PA Ag Map Page
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2004, 06:05:41 PM »
jokers, raccoon from this year's trap line
I am lucky to scratch out a living outdoors

On the chain issue, when I first started cutting as a business, I assumed a wandering cut was due to my inattentiveness, as when I paid attention I could straighten it out.

Last summer I noticed one of my bars was bent (no binding)
so I took them all to the machine shop I use to work at. They have a laser checked straight edge made out of a "H" beam.
well half of my bars were bent/twisted.
I assumed this was the cause of any wandering cut

Timely with this thread, I picked up a batch of resharpened chains. The fellow uses a jig and grinding wheel. He is a retired machinist, so I would think he could get it right.

Well one of the 20" chains on my 036 pro was cutting about 3-4 inches to the right thru a 20" white pine log.

The next day I flipped the bar and put a new chain on. It cuts better, not perfect, this time through red oak.

I dont have this problem much, but when I do it upsets me so >:(
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Offline L. Wakefield

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2004, 07:06:00 PM »
   I definitely had that problem when my chain needed sharpening- it was made worse by my torqueing a little bit to get it to cut- and then it didn't cut straight.

But I'm still new enough at using a chainsaw that I can hold even a sharp saw wrong and it won't cut straight. I find then I just  have to line myself up right and the problem goes away. It happens when I'm cutting something at a strange angle and I can't see it really well.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Offline Minnesota_boy

• Senior Member x2
  • Some like 'em short, but I prefer looong!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2004, 07:18:00 PM »
L. Wakefield,
Don't fret about it.  After a couple thousand more hours, it will just come natural.  :D :D :o
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Offline tony_marks

• Full Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2004, 11:47:20 PM »
 speakin o them bow bars .. anybody got a good something they want a trade for one.. idont use it .. noticed it in the truck yesterday.. came off an 650 evl echo.

Offline Neil_B

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2004, 03:03:16 PM »
Something no one mentioned was the oil going to the chain. No oil makes a hot chain and it will cut all crookedy. Had a Stihl that the pump kept wearing out on. Everytime the pump quit pumping, saw cut crooked.

Traded it in for a Husqvarna  ;D
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2004, 03:26:43 PM »
@ Neil_B

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D Good Man !  ;D  ;D  ;D

another still bites the sawdust pile :)

Actually I run a stihl 450 clearing saw, works great after I modified the air filter. Wasn't gettin enough air, cleaned it all the time too. Cursed thing. Now I gots to figure out a way to drive the hornets away while I try to unhook the harness ;)

ekkkk where's the bug dope!!!
“No amount of belief makes something a fact.” James Randi

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2004, 05:08:47 PM »
Neil,
I had a 034 Stihl that had the same problem; the plastic geared oil pump kept wearing out, thus it wouldn't cut straight until replaced.

~Ron

Offline Neil_B

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2004, 07:18:13 PM »
Own a 365 and a 372. Haven't had any problems until I dropped a log on the 372 and cracked the tank assembly  ::).

Ron, I replaced the pump once after a year of running it part time. Lasted another year and was time to change the pump again. Traded it in towards the Husky 365. Didn't bother telling them about the pump either as they didn't want to bother checking it out the first time. They would rather sell me a $70 part every year.  >:(. If I remember right, mine was the 038.
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2004, 09:01:26 AM »
Yes, it was an expensive part, $65.00 for the dealer to replace it here, and it only lasted about a year with seasonal firewood cutting, just as you experienced. I talked to a Stihl Rep. about the oiler problem since it was always dealer serviced, but without any satisfaction I also traded to a Husky.

~Ron

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2004, 10:43:03 AM »
HI Ron:

Yeah most dealers are like that around here too. Take what ya get and buyer beware. Dealers and manufacturers are just too far detached since their on different continents in our case.
I use my Husky 55 for hardwood bucking only. Not heavy or fast enough for production work out on a cuting contract.

cheers

Offline OneWithWood

• Senior Member x2
  • I am happy!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2004, 06:34:50 AM »
Ron and Neil, I have experienced the same problem on my old 038.  Never had the problem until this last year.  The repair guy at the dealer said the problem was caused by idling the saw with the brake on.  He said heat builds up and melts the nylon gear driving the pump.  At first I thought he was just making up an excuse but then I got to thinking about it.  I began letting the saw idle with the brake on instead of shutting it down after reading a book that suggested it.  That was about a year and a half ago.  So now I shut the saw off before setting it down.  It starts so easy it is not really an issue.  I have not experienced any similar problems with my realtively new MS 440.  I wonder if there may have been a design change.  I engage the brake on the 440 a lot as it is my primary felling saw and I move around with it running more often.  The 038 is my bucking saw, primarily for firewood, so I am more stationary when using it.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Offline Neil_B

• Share Post
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2004, 07:07:21 AM »
Can I shorten your name to OWW?  :D

I don't know that that would make sense or not. if the  brake is on then nothing is turning, shaft or pump so where would the heat come from. If from the engine itself then it would make sense that it's much hotter while running full speed.  ???

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2004, 01:39:08 PM »
Onewithwood

It may be regulation in some areas to engage the break before starting , idling or from walking from tree to tree in the bush. I see it mentioned by different folk lecturing on chainsaw safety, also see it in alot of leaflets. May there was a design change in your model.

cheers

Offline wood_bucker

• I cant add member map location,not on map
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2004, 08:42:57 AM »
the most comon mistake when sharpening the chain is to make the exact same amount of passes with your file on all the teeth.I have seen people sharpen their saw and skip some of the teeth or make more passes on some teeth that were bad causeing the teeth to become all different sizes which causes iregular cutting of each tooth...also the bar should be flipped over after each major sharpening to get equall bar wear..I have had the same problem in the past cuz..cuzz. i was the guy sharpenig some teeth more and skipping the sharp ones and let me tell ya ..nothing is worse than cutting curves...unless your carving a statue of pam anderson... :D :D :D

Offline AtLast

• Dis-member-ed
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2004, 04:34:33 PM »
I know this has been said but....sounds to me like 1 side is sharper than the other. Just some noise from the peanut gallery ;D

Offline vince

• Member*
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2004, 03:25:42 AM »
always have the same problem with my sawing and believe all thats been said prior. i'm working on a theory that it all starts from those teeth that you plant into the side of the tree and pivot the saw on. the majority of the bar wear is close to this area at the bottom of the  bar. while i can cut clockwise circles when using the bucking teeth, i can cut relitivy straight further out on the bar. i think i always pivoted to much on the teeth with a near dull chain and started all the badness happening. the teeth on three of my saws are only to the left side of the bar and they all do this. just got me a husky 2101 and its got teeth on both sides so i'm interested to see if theres a difference, but i don't have the nerve to start it, yet.

gotta go to work

vince

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
My chainsaw doesn't cut straight

Started by idaho04 on Chainsaws

16 Replies
Last post September 06, 2007, 12:22:07 AM
by timberjack240
xx
Rebuilding a Chainsaw Run on Straight Gas

Started by Tropical Sawyer on Chainsaws

10 Replies
Last post February 20, 2019, 11:40:16 PM
by HolmenTree
xx
My chainsaw not ripping in straight line.

Started by alsayyed on Sawmills and Milling

13 Replies
Last post March 08, 2006, 10:18:14 AM
by Tom
xx
Cutting Straight, Staying Straight

Started by matariki on Chainsaws

23 Replies
Last post March 21, 2019, 11:32:48 AM
by mredden