The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: New vehicle or not? When do you decide to call it quits and junk your vehicle?  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Piston

• Senior Member x2
  • ...Brick by brick my friends...brick by brick!
    • Share Post
I would much rather own 2 tractors,sawmill,nice home and 170 acres than a 40k truck.

I'm with you Cfarm!
There is only 1 out of those 4 guys mentioned that actually uses his truck.  He has large 5th wheel camper that he tows with it. 

My uncle is famous for keeping cars running that most people would bring to the junk yard.  Usually my dad will find him a car with high mileage that someone just wants to get rid of, he'll buy it, and run the thing for years.  Of course, he has to fix some things on the cars, but he hasn't paid more than $1500 for a car for as long as I remember, in fact, $1500 is the tops he's paid.  We joke around a lot with him saying that when a car hits 200k on the odometer, it's just broken in  :D
He has never had a car payment, and could care less what he drives, as long as its dependable.  I'm starting to get that way with my view on my own vehicles.  Although, we do have the nice Jetta TDI for the wife to drive, but for my own vehicle, I'm starting to care less and less.  :D
-Matt
What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race.

Offline muddstopper

• Share Post
Boy, this thread just seems to be right on when it come to my vehicles. I have a 95 chevy dually I wore the diesel engine out in a few years back. That used to be my primary work truck for my business. I always overloaded it and it never moved unless it was loaded, except to go get loaded. Truck to light for the work it was being asked to perform. The diesel engine finally let go and I replaced i with a smallblock 400 which lasted about 250 miles. I finally gaveup and bought a new f450 diesel ford flatbed. I have kept the old chevy setting back behind the garage for a few years now, always figureing to fix it one day. I even went so far as to purchase a 366 truck motor to put in it. When I shut down my business, I sold the f450 and traded some of the equipment for another old truck, a 98 dodge with the 318 gas engine. Meant to be used mostly for a trash hualing truck. Last wk the engine in it decided to let go. Motor sounds like a bunch of pigymes inside a barrel with hammers beating on the side. Well, I drugg out the old 366 engine and put on the stand to see if it wold even run, which it seems to do very well. Then I got to figureing out what both trucks would bring if I sold them for scrap or parted them out. So, Now I have the 366 hanging on the engine hoist and I am searching craigslist to see whats available in my price range, and sitting here undecided as whether to scrap what I have and start all over, or just fix what I already have. Knowing even when I get the old chevy running again, I will still just have a old beatup truck not worth much more than scrap value. The truck wont be a daily driver or even depended on for any serious work, but boy do I feel lost without a pickup setting in the driveway.

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
  • Back again....making multi-colored sawdust
    • Share Post
What somebody else (ie, Kelly Blue Book, etc) thinks my vehicle is worth is irrelevant to me. I only care what it is worth to me. What my vehicle is worth has little to do with why I buy it or why I sell it. Usually ones sold by me go to someone who has another one for parts. What matters to me is, how much I can afford to pay for it, and what it can do for me.
No matter how conventional wisdom may fly in the face of radical thought, it's still the most popular type.

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Wagner Farms, Dacusville, SC

Looking for the return of the Lord!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
vehicle ?

Started by sandhills on General Board

3 Replies
Last post March 17, 2016, 09:56:39 PM
by gww
xx
Which new used vehicle????

Started by catalina on General Board

24 Replies
Last post February 12, 2018, 03:24:50 PM
by catalina